Sturm's Morning After: Why Cowboys' QB controversy is now a non-issue; Dez just isn't himself right now

hstour

Brand New Member
A couple of points I think Bob missed out on. Guys being so wide open because Dez commands the sellout of the DBs. If that doesn't change, guys are still wide open.

If it does, then we all know what Dez can do against single coverage, even when he is well covered. If the coverage shifts to not let the Beasley's, Witten's, Williams' and Escobar's of the team be so wide open, you just made it easier for Dez. It's like Bob said, "You can't cover everyone."

Secondarily, while Romo doesn't have the legs that Dak does, he does have a better ability to know before the snap where he can go with the ball. Aikman said that once he figured it all out and knew what was going to happen when he walked to the line, his body was starting to give out. The only one currently that seems to be in that place and doesn't have his body fighting against him is Tom Brady.

I find it funny that in the age of the "QB league" that the old formula of running the football still works. And like I have said before, Jason learned that under Jimmy (and Sabin). He has built this team in the same way as Jimmy did. He just didn't have a Hershel Walker trade to do it. AND he had to do it despite Jerry. He had to build a consensus with Will McClay and Stephen and others to get Jerry to see it.

That took time.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
The Cubs lost the NLCS last season.
In fact they were swept. This Cowboys team has already far exceeded my expectations. It is exciting and has created genuine optimism for the foreseeable future but I think they may need one more season before I see them having a real chance to win it all. They need one more draft/FA period to bolster the defense, IMO.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Ok, so while we're on this winning streak and starting to think in bigger terms, does anyone fear an early exit from the playoffs? Because, we all know, we ARE going to the playoffs with this team. I can't help but wonder if its too soon and the youngsters may not be ready for something of that magnitude. And I mean the magnitude of say, an NFC title game or heaven forbid, a Super Bowl.
One of the main reasons I still prefer Tony.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
And yet, Romo has had some opportunities.
Some but not many.

I think you could safely argue that he's had a team that was this much better than the rest of the conference maybe one or two other times in his ten year starting tenure. One of those times would have been his first full year as a starter in 2007 and an injury to Terrell Owens really took the late season steam out of that engine.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
In fact they were swept. This Cowboys team has already far exceeded my expectations. It is exciting and has created genuine optimism for the foreseeable future but I think they may need one more season before I see them having a real chance to win it all. They need one more draft/FA period to bolster the defense, IMO.
These rookies have been under bright lights, very bright lights. Being the main focus of a ranked #1 team in a big game type of pressure. The only reason I think they need one more year is Brady being one year older and maybe his body starting to give a little.
I don't think there's a game too big for Dakota & Zeke, not even the Super Bowl.

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
Here's hoping that someone knocks out the Pats in the AFC. Will make that dream that much better.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I really don't understand where you are coming from. I am talking about inserting him when the game is determined like the Cleveland game.
you mean, like they inserted Mr Butt Fumble.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
One of the main reasons I still prefer Tony.
Yeah. This is one of the issues I have had some reservations about for a while. Dak has done a fabulous job but the play offs are a different level.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
you mean, like they inserted Mr Butt Fumble.
No. I mean for more than a kneel down exercise. Actual playing time. Dak is about as honed as he can be for a rookie so it's time to get Romo up to playing speed.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
A couple of points I think Bob missed out on. Guys being so wide open because Dez commands the sellout of the DBs. If that doesn't change, guys are still wide open.

If it does, then we all know what Dez can do against single coverage, even when he is well covered. If the coverage shifts to not let the Beasley's, Witten's, Williams' and Escobar's of the team be so wide open, you just made it easier for Dez. It's like Bob said, "You can't cover everyone."

Secondarily, while Romo doesn't have the legs that Dak does, he does have a better ability to know before the snap where he can go with the ball. Aikman said that once he figured it all out and knew what was going to happen when he walked to the line, his body was starting to give out. The only one currently that seems to be in that place and doesn't have his body fighting against him is Tom Brady.

I find it funny that in the age of the "QB league" that the old formula of running the football still works. And like I have said before, Jason learned that under Jimmy (and Sabin). He has built this team in the same way as Jimmy did. He just didn't have a Hershel Walker trade to do it. AND he had to do it despite Jerry. He had to build a consensus with Will McClay and Stephen and others to get Jerry to see it.

That took time.
The part you didn't touch on however is that Prescott isn't synced to Bryant or Williams yet. The season is half gone and it may as well be TC days as far as the QB and # 1 and 2 receivers are concerned.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
These rookies have been under bright lights, very bright lights. Being the main focus of a ranked #1 team in a big game type of pressure. The only reason I think they need one more year is Brady being one year older and maybe his body starting to give a little.
I don't think there's a game too big for Dakota & Zeke, not even the Super Bowl.
Same. Except I'm not counting them out this year.

Cotton

Staff member
Yeah. This is one of the issues I have had some reservations about for a while. Dak has done a fabulous job but the play offs are a different level.
He has shown the poise of a 10 year vet many times. I see no reason to discount him in the playoffs.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Ok, so while we're on this winning streak and starting to think in bigger terms, does anyone fear an early exit from the playoffs? Because, we all know, we ARE going to the playoffs with this team. I can't help but wonder if its too soon and the youngsters may not be ready for something of that magnitude. And I mean the magnitude of say, an NFC title game or heaven forbid, a Super Bowl.
They weren't supposed to be ready to do what they did even in the preseason. They weren't supposed to do what they did in week 1, against Cincinnati defense, against Green Bay, against the Eagles, for 8 straight games..etc. They havent flinched yet so no reason to get scared now. Just enjoy it.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
They weren't supposed to be ready to do what they did even in the preseason. They weren't supposed to do what they did in week 1, against Cincinnati defense, against Green Bay, against the Eagles, for 8 straight games..etc. They havent flinched yet so no reason to get scared now. Just enjoy it.
Exactly.

That's not to say our SB appearance is secure, but sometimes crazy stuff just happens in sports.

The 99 Rams were supposed to come down to earth in October, and then November, and then December after that. When that didn't happen, they would certainly meet their doom in the playoffs when the real contenders showed up and all they did was beat them all and won a championship.

I don't know where this journey ends, but it's been the most fun watching the Cowboys play in a very long time so I'm just going to enjoy it for now and worry about the other stuff later.

Cotton

Staff member
I think he's better equipped right now for a long playoff run. I don't expect you to agree with me but that's my opinion.
What in all that is holy would give you that indication? Especially after watching Dak for 8 weeks.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I think he's better equipped right now for a long playoff run. I don't expect you to agree with me but that's my opinion.
I'm not going to get into all the pros and cons because that's been done many times before, so I'm just going to ask you this:

What makes you so sure he can even come in and play well?

Tony Romo has played 1.5 games of football in the last 22 months. Even if he spent all that time off because he decided he wanted to travel the world, he'd still be a huge question mark after taking so much time off and being 37.

But when you take into account that the reason why he's missed all that time is because he's had 2 major injuries in that time frame, you have a situation full of uncertainty and doubt.

So given that we have a 37 year old who hasn't played consecutive games of football since January 2015, who is also coming off of 2 major injuries, why on earth would you be willing to take that chance and what makes you so sure he can even come in and perform at the level necessary?

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Dak hasn't given me an indication that he can't, but he also hasn't given me an indication that he can. The playoffs are a different animal than regular season. Look at Tony piling up regular season dominance but with only two playoff wins to his name.

That being said I trust the guy who has seen it and been there before.

Sorry, I just have a hard time believing a rookie QB will be good enough down the stretch against elite teams to win it all. It's nothing personal against Dak. I feel like a four time Pro Bowler still playing at peak performance has a better shot. It's not the same as Brady Bledsoe because Bledsoe was ass by that time, so while I wouldn't have bet on Brady winning it all, I wouldn't have even thought Bledsoe could do that. Romo I think can do that good.

if Romo shows after two or three weeks that he's not at peak performance, then my assumptions are wrong. Then put DAK back in, but I won't be expecting him to win it all.

Top Bottom