2016 Random Cowboys Related Stuff Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member

Wow.
Jones never ceases to amaze me in his absurdity.

UncleMilti

Staff member
Why Dallas trading for a cornerback makes more sense than a pass-rusher

Todd Archer

FRISCO, Texas -- It’s trade deadline day in the NFL, which mostly means nothing.

The trade deadline is one of the few things the NFL does poorly. It could have so much more news generated if the salary-cap system would allow for more trades. But, I digress. I don’t wonder if the Dallas Cowboys will look around or will receive calls. They will and they have.

I do have Five Wonders.

Away we go:

Let’s get right to some trade wonders
. I wonder if it makes more sense for the Cowboys to make a trade for a cornerback of consequence than it does a pass-rusher. I know you’re howling, but hear me out. Brandon Carr is a free agent after this season. So is Morris Claiborne. If the Cowboys are going to make a deal, I believe it makes more sense for a younger player under more contractual control than a rent-a-pass rusher at the end of his career. Cleveland Browns cornerback Joe Haden has been mentioned the most by fans wondering about a deal. He makes $10.1 million this season, and is to make about $4.75 million the rest of the season. He is under contract through 2019 with base salaries of $11.1 million (2017, 2018) and $10.4 million (2019). The Cowboys have pass-rush needs, but they have shown they want to develop pass-rushers, not overpay for one.

Pass rush has been
, is and will be a need for the Cowboys, but teams don’t give away pass-rushers and they cost a lot to get. I wonder if the cost will be just too prohibitive. The New York Jets have called the Cowboys about Sheldon Richardson, but he is to make $8.069 million next season as part of his fifth-year option, and has some off-field issues. (He was suspended for one game this season). Cameron Wake is a name that has been tossed around. If he wasn’t guaranteed another $3 million next season as part of his $6.875 million base salary, he would be more desirable. He is also 34. Willie Young had six sacks entering Monday’s game and has just a $1 million base salary in 2017. But he has a $2.2 million roster bonus due. If you could turn the deal for a late-round pick, then perhaps this would be a thought. It takes something to get something. I just think the price will be too rich.

But let’s say the Cowboys do make a final trade in an all-in move. What about the salary cap? They have created room by converting players’ base salaries to signing bonus. Doug Free was the most recent example. All that would be left to convert is Tony Romo's contract. Considering age and health, that is not an option. But I wonder if cutting Rolando McClain would be an option. You remember him, right? He is suspended the first 10 games of the season and has not been around the team since June. Conditioning has always been an issue with McClain. If he gets reinstated, would he be in shape to play? Does he want to play? If the Cowboys cut McClain, they would free up about $1.9 million in room.

Let’s talk quarterbacks on the roster in 2017. No, this is not another Romo-Dak Prescott debate. It’s slightly smaller. I wonder if Kellen Moore will return in 2017. He is on injured reserve after breaking his fibula in training camp. He would have been the starter had he been healthy following Romo's back injury. Unfortunately for Moore, he was hurt early in camp. He is a free agent after this season. He has a role on this team as a quasi-adviser to Scott Linehan and the rest of the quarterbacks. I wonder if he would be part of the coaching staff next season if he does not want to continue his playing career.

With Barry Church out with a fractured forearm, I wonder if the more J.J. Wilcox plays the more he could be exposed. He was playing in the dime defense mostly before Church’s injury and playing a series or two in each half as the Cowboys rotated him with Church and Byron Jones. Wilcox has been effective in his limited role. Now he will have to play more. Can he keep up the same level of play with more snaps?
Either you are all in, or you are not. Jones is rolling the dice with a rookie QB, yet you don't want to cut a do-less, out of shape dipshit like McClain and take the money and go get pass-rushing help, and possibly CB help.

I mean, this is the shit that drives me insane about this team...D is the weak link. Even my damn wife complains that the Cowboys don't get to the QB. But Jer somehow thinks McClain brings something to the table.

:lol

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Either you are all in, or you are not. Jones is rolling the dice with a rookie QB, yet you don't want to cut a do-less, out of shape dipshit like McClain and take the money and go get pass-rushing help, and possibly CB help.

I mean, this is the shit that drives me insane about this team...D is the weak link. Even my damn wife complains that the Cowboys don't get to the QB. But Jer somehow thinks McClain brings something to the table.

:lol
I can understand not wanting to give up premium picks for players this season. But the McClain stuff is just a total head scratcher to me. Even if the guy got his ass into shape I don't want his lazy ass on the field screwing stuff up for us this year. I just don't believe you can miss this much time and practice and step on the field and still be a player. And just like Dak on offense, I don't want to mess with our defensive chemistry putting that prick out there.

Jaylon Smith would be a different story if he gets healthy enough, but I'm not counting on that either.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
McClain is on the suspended/DNR list. He's not costing the team a dime or a roster spot.

dallen

Senior Tech

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
That's what he gets.

Idiot.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
They should have just fired his dumb ass outright. Seriously, how can you be that stupid? We've all talked about hurting another player, or whatever. But for him to actually say it during a taped interview? Moron.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
They should have just fired his dumb ass outright. Seriously, how can you be that stupid? We've all talked about hurting another player, or whatever. But for him to actually say it during a taped interview? Moron.
And to do it when he works for the league when they're in the middle of a reputation crisis in regards to player safety and concerns.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
They should fire him at the end of the 6 month suspension. Such an idiot that thinks he could away with that.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Baldinger was on the radio yesterday and made it a point to address the comments. He said basically it was taken out of context and he was merely taking the role of what a DC might say to fire his team up before the game.

It felt to me like he was told to do it, probably by nfl network people.

I think I remember him saying that he shouldn't have said it, but noticeably absent from the statement was any sort of apology.

Also, the local idiot Philly hosts blamed the whole thing on a couple idiot Cowboy fans trying to stir things up. :picard

UncleMilti

Staff member
McClain is on the suspended/DNR list. He's not costing the team a dime or a roster spot.
Well, that's good to know...but still doesn't justify Jones acting like the guy will somehow make a difference coming back in game 11.

And, I'm sure if there's not talk of cutting him, they are accounting for his salary somewhere in the future cap.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Well deserved. :towel

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Well, that's good to know...but still doesn't justify Jones acting like the guy will somehow make a difference coming back in game 11.

And, I'm sure if there's not talk of cutting him, they are accounting for his salary somewhere in the future cap.
Since when does anybody give a shit about what Jerry says? Also, McClain would have to be activated and taken off the DNR list for him to ever cost us anything. Do you honestly think he'd be activated if he's not in playing shape? If he even reported, we'd get two weeks to decide to activate him or not. Do you honestly think we'd do that? I don't.

Last edited:

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Because I'm so desperate for a SB appearance, I would actually welcome him back if he was in excellent shape.

Like say he wanted one last chance to stick around, so the entire time he was suspended the guy just worked on getting himself in the best shape possible and he comes in looking ready to wreak havoc. I would give him a shot under those circumstances.

But this is Rolando McClain we're talking about so the chances of that happening are slim to none. There's a better chance of him having gotten even fatter than him being in better shape.

Last edited:

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Because I'm so desperate for a SB appearance, I would actually welcome him back if he was in excellent shape.

Like say he wanted one last chance to stick around, so the entire time he was suspended the guy just worked on getting himself in the best shape possible and he comes in looking ready to weak havoc. I would give him a shot under those circumstances.

But this is Rolando McClain we're talking about so the chances of that happening are slim to none. There's a better chance of him having gotten even fatter than him being in better shape.
I agree with all of this. If by some miracle he reports in shape, he can certainly help us. If he doesn't, he doesn't get activated and it doesn't cost us anything.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I agree with all of this. If by some miracle he reports in shape, he can certainly help us. If he doesn't, he doesn't get activated and it doesn't cost us anything.
In a perfect world, McClain comes in looking like a Greek god, and Gregory kicks ass giving us a much improved defense just in time for the SB run. :unsure

dallen

Senior Tech
There is also a big difference between saying something as a spokesman for your employer vs what we do here.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Has he ever been in great shape?. He seemed to stay on the fringe and do just enough to play but not really be dilligent enough to do training camps and full practices. All his action pointed to slacker tendencies. I doubt he has changed.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Like say he wanted one last chance to stick around, so the entire time he was suspended the guy just worked on getting himself in the best shape possible and he comes in looking ready to wreak havoc. I would give him a shot under those circumstances.

McClain is a low rent moron. He doesn't care about the game. He has been sitting around derping, half of that time probably zonked on Purple Drank.

There is very little chance he is capable of coming back. I just think Jerry is talking out of his ass there.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Has he ever been in great shape?. He seemed to stay on the fringe and do just enough to play but not really be dilligent enough to do training camps and full practices. All his action pointed to slacker tendencies. I doubt he has changed.
I didn't say anything about 'great' shape. I was talking about if he is in shape to play. Like his first year with us, when even though looked at as a lazy player off the field, he was still a difference maker on it. I don't care about training camp, full practice, or what ever. If he could come in and help us in a playoff run, that is ALL I'm interested in. Nothing more. And if he comes in fat or doesn't come in at all? BFD. Didn't cost us a thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom