2016 POTUS Election Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jiggyfly

Banned
So anybody want weigh in on how he is supposed to handle the conflict of interest with Trump enterprise?

Should we just take him at his word that he will have no influence with his children running the company as well as being on his transition team.

Since we never saw his taxes we have no idea who he does business with or who has any leverage with him.

How should this be handled?

townsend

Banned
Sounds familiar.

He lost the popular vote by over 200,000 so yeah there will be a lot dissent.

Not questioning the fairness just saying he has a lot of doubters.
Probably a lot more than 200,000. NY, Washington, and California are all still counting their votes.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Probably a lot more than 200,000. NY, Washington, and California are all still counting their votes.
Pretty crazy when you consider that Trump won the electoral vote by a decent amount. I'm still amazed when you see a break down by county and how many counties Trump won but still ended up losing the popular vote.

townsend

Banned
Pretty crazy when you consider that Trump won the electoral vote by a decent amount. I'm still amazed when you see a break down by county and how many counties Trump won but still ended up losing the popular vote.
The tale of the political divide is city vs. country.

Cities vote overwhelmingly for democrats and have much much much higher concentrations of people.

That's why red state vs blue state is kind of an illusion since your state politics is mostly decided by your city to country ratio.

kidd

DCC 4Life
I have black friends who have told me they only voted for him because he was black.

But whatever. Doesn't matter now.
Hell Samuel L Jackson said it in an interview. But I'm sure he's the only one...:jerk

Kbrown

Not So New Member
The tale of the political divide is city vs. country.

Cities vote overwhelmingly for democrats and have much much much higher concentrations of people.

That's why red state vs blue state is kind of an illusion since your state politics is mostly decided by your city to country ratio.
Which is yet another reason why localist government makes sense.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
So anybody want weigh in on how he is supposed to handle the conflict of interest with Trump enterprise?

Should we just take him at his word that he will have no influence with his children running the company as well as being on his transition team.

Since we never saw his taxes we have no idea who he does business with or who has any leverage with him.

How should this be handled?
You or I dont have to see his taxes. The IRS will see his taxes and they are auditing. As to conflicts of interest he will make annual disclosures and if anything is found to be in conflict the ethics committee will handle.

Last edited:

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
And what does that have to do with anything I said?

I acknowledged he won fair and square.
You keep ragging about Hillary winning the popular vote. Does that help you connect the dots?

Jiggyfly

Banned
Racist and pro-Trump graffiti appears in South Philly following election
Updated: NOVEMBER 10, 2016 — 12:49 PM EST

by Stephanie Farr & William Bender - Philadelphia Media Network
South Philadelphia residents awoke Wednesday to find racist and pro-Trump graffiti spray painted on their storefronts, cars, and homes.

One of the damaged cars was a white SUV that had "Trump Rules" and "Black Bitch" spray-painted across it in large black letters.

The 62-year-old owner of the car is a black woman who asked that her name be withheld. She said her first reaction was: "Oh, my God."

"I went straight to the police station," she said. "They were stunned."

When she left the station, she was approached by a white woman out walking her two dogs.

"She was crying so hard, and she said, 'Who would do such a thing? We're not like that,' " the woman recalled. "She was crying, and I just said, 'Come here, you need a hug.' "

A video of that encounter posted to Facebook had 38,000 views as of 6 p.m. It shows the calm victim comforting the shaken dog walker.

"Don't be broken about this," the victim says.

"Two steps forward, one step back," the white woman says.

The motorist took her vehicle to a South Philadelphia auto body shop. She later received a call from a worker there.

"He told me he had two people who were white offer to pay for my car but he told them I had insurance," she said. "It brought tears to my eyes. There's still good people out there."

Around 10:44 a.m., police responded to the 1300 block of South Broad Street in Point Breeze, where a swastika, the words "Sieg Heil 2016," and the word "Trump" with the 'T' replaced by a swastika were spray-painted on the windows of an empty fur store on the anniversary of Kristallnacht, the Nazi pogrom of 1938.

At 1:10 p.m., police said, they were called to Broad and Reed Streets in Point Breeze, where a utility box had "Trump" and a swastika painted on it.

Administrators and parents of students at the Meredith School at Fifth and Fitzwater Streets in Point Breeze also reported seeing such graffiti on buildings near the school.

"It was in the community, and the kids were noticing it on the way to school," principal Lauren Overton said. "It was a super-difficult day to be a school leader, because kids had a lot [of questions] they wanted answered."

Nicole Gonzalez Van Cleve, whose child attends Meredith, said she and her child noticed the graffiti on their way to school Wednesday.

"If we were to put any president's name on that wall, it wouldn't be an offensive thing, but unfortunately, Trump has made himself synonymous with hateful rhetoric," she said.

Van Cleve said neighbors made calls to the city, and she and three other residents made "politically neutral" posters with messages that read "Love your neighbors" and "Love always wins" that they placed over the graffiti.

"We wanted whoever did it to know that our community would take a stand for humanity and a stand for peace," she said.

Police have not made any arrest in any of the cases.

Regardless of the motivation for the graffiti, the 62-year-old woman whose car was spray-painted said she's not letting it get her down.

"You cannot allow people to take your joy away from you. Once they take your joy, then they are in control of you," she said. "I am not going to allow that to happen. It will all be OK."

farrs@phillynews.com

215-854-4225

Jiggyfly

Banned
Police probing Trump graffiti, swastikas at Bucks high school
Updated: NOVEMBER 11, 2016 — 1:08 AM EST

REPRINTS
by Maria Panaritis and Aubrey Whelan, STAFF WRITERS
Police launched an investigation Thursday after swastikas, an antigay slur, and references to President-elect Donald Trump were found scrawled in bathrooms at a Bucks County high school, part of a wave of incidents swirling around the contentious presidential election.

Harassing messages or vandalism were found in three student bathrooms at Council Rock North High School, Superintendent Robert Fraser wrote in an email to the Council Rock School District. Latino students had also been targeted with inappropriate comments, he said, including one girl who found a note in her backpack "telling her to return to Mexico."

Reports of similar incidents have been bubbling across the state in the aftermath of Trump's victory over Hillary Clinton and campaign style, often assailed as polarizing and divisive.

In Philadelphia, police said a woman in Bella Vista found "Trump 2016" and "Black Bitch" spray-painted on her car Wednesday morning. They also were probing the discovery of a swastika, and the phrases "Sieg Heil 2016" and "Trump," painted on a storefront in Point Breeze, and another swastika next to the word "Trump" painted on a utility box a few blocks away.

York, Pa., police said school officials there disciplined two students who "paraded a Trump sign through the halls" of York County School of Technology, and another student who yelled "white power." A widely shared video of the chants sparked outrage on social media.

And at Southern Lehigh High School near Bethlehem, Pa., administrators held a student assembly late last week to address racist and homophobic slurs against students, and incidents including the carving of swastikas onto bathroom stalls, according to the Allentown Morning Call.

None of those incidents included specific references to the presidential candidates, but school officials scheduled the assembly to help persuade students to "do a better job of respecting one another," the principal wrote in a letter the newspaper obtained.

In his message to the district Thursday, the Bucks County superintendent said two swastikas had been found scrawled in a boys' bathroom stall. In a girls' bathroom, "on a hanging piece of paper someone wrote 'I Love Trump,' a derogatory comment about people who are gay, and drew three swastikas," Fraser reported. And in another girls' lavatory, the phrase "If Trump wins, watch out!" was written on a toilet-paper dispenser.

The disclosure of the incidents drew strong reaction, including on a district parents' Facebook page. The page administrator warned that offensive comments were being deleted and offenders would be barred.

"Sadly, the recent election results are being used as a 'free pass' to publicly express hatred against persons of different color, gender, nationality, sexual orientation, religion, economic class etc.," wrote Joanne Calibeo. "Unfortunately, these attitudes have been learned and cultivated over a period of time. These bad attitudes do not belong to any particular political party. We parents have much work to do in raising our children to respect, care for and love all people. Let's get to work!"

On a different Facebook page, a former Council Rock North student expressed dismay. Alumna Caryn Sarah, 27, said in an interview that she had been insulted as a student a decade ago by classmates who taunted her for being Jewish.

But adults responded quickly when she brought to their attention that students threw pennies at her or mocked her curly hair and nose, said Sarah, who lives in Yardley and works as a family therapist.

Newtown police confirmed their investigation but said they had no details to release by Thursday evening.

In his note, the superintendent said such actions would not be tolerated. "We are better than this," he wrote, "and ours is a community that must be based upon a mutual respect for ALL people, and ALL of Council Rock."

mpanaritis@phillynews.com

townsend

Banned
As much as I think a lot of pro Trump extremists are capable of drawing swastikas and so on, it also wouldn't surprise me if people upset by the win are doing it as a way to act out.

Jiggyfly

Banned
As much as I think a lot of pro Trump extremists are capable of drawing swastikas and so on, it also wouldn't surprise me if people upset by the win are doing it as a way to act out.
Could be but kids can be very cruel and they have video of the guy who spray painted the SVU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom