User Tag List

Page 624 of 673 FirstFirst ... 124524574614622623624625626634 ... LastLast
Results 6,231 to 6,240 of 6722

Thread: President Trump Thread...

  1. #6231
    Senior Member mschmidt64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    13,930
    Quote Originally Posted by townsend View Post
    There’s probably some fertile common ground in there.
    Maybe between us.

    Unfortunately, not between most of the right and left.

  2. #6232
    Senior Member Cowboysrock55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    23,426
    Quote Originally Posted by mschmidt64 View Post
    Maybe between us.

    Unfortunately, not between most of the right and left.
    Asking politicians to give up power or authority is nearly impossible. That's the sad thing. Politicians will never do that unless there is some serious public outcry and people start getting voted out of office over it.

  3. #6233
    Senior Member Kbrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,043
    Quote Originally Posted by townsend View Post
    It’s interesting how resistant everyone is to the argument that their is an argument. That an infowars provided, glib “take that libs” isn’t the end all and be all of political discourse, and it reminds me why I spent a year avoiding this toxic echo chamber.

    If you aren’t willing to join in a human centipede of increasingly reductive “hot takes”, then you’re a dummy brain fried liberal.
    I dunno, I came in here pissed about us bombing Syria a few weeks ago, and nobody gave me any grief.

    Glad you came back.

  4. #6234
    Senior Member Kbrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,043
    I have been guilty of calling criminals "animals" at times, but I do believe that even an MS-13 member is created in God's image.

    That said, the media CLEARLY twisted the context of Trump's comments.

  5. The following user likes this post:


  6. #6235
    Administrator boozeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    47,676
    Quote Originally Posted by Kbrown View Post
    I have been guilty of calling criminals "animals" at times, but I do believe that even an MS-13 member is created in God's image.

    That said, the media CLEARLY twisted the context of Trump's comments.
    Yep.

    It has got out of hand.

    This just all but lends credence to the FAKE NEWS hysteria because, well it is.

    Nothing dumber than agreeing with a crazy person and validating their assertions.

  7. #6236
    Senior Member BipolarFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Up my ass
    Posts
    9,481
    Quote Originally Posted by mschmidt64 View Post
    There were some, just not nearly as many as reported by the media. I'm sure that number was in the literal millions, but it was never the 30 million or whatever that was bandied about.

    But my larger point is why the solution is making it so much more unaffordable for a much larger number of people?

    Just because my paycheck can technically afford it, it's all good? I have to have a smaller house, an older car, less in savings, I can't go on nice vacations, I can't save for my kid's college, etc.

    And I hate to downplay not having insurance, but, uh, I do bankruptcy for a living. If disaster strikes, and you had nothing to begin with anyway, you can file bankruptcy instead of getting stuck with a $100k medical bill. These poor people who cannot afford catastrophic coverage aren't paying for their care anyway; because hospitals can't turn them down in emergencies.

    So the real issue, again, is not one of poor people dying en masse, but instead the general unaffordability and high cost, which the ACA just made a lot worse.

    So again.... you liked Ron Paul. You really need to listen to him and trust what he says. He's not one of these soulless corporate vampire Republicans you hate.
    Emergency rooms cannot give you the care you need for any serious long term shit that may happen to you like cancer, diabetes, whatever.

    The only sane solution I can see is single payer.

    Quit policing the fucking world, cut all aid to every foreign country, including Israel, and take care of our own.

  8. #6237
    Senior Member Simpleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    6,263
    Considering how easily manipulated and lacking in intelligence the vast majority of this country is I'd be all for strict limits on the powers of the executive branch. My main concern is not so much what Trump will do as President. He's an idiot and has authoritarian tendencies, yes, but I still believe our institutions are too strong to fail right now and I don't believe he is inherently evil or a psychopath, he just wants to be praised and not face scrutiny, basically.

    But what about 20 years from now? 30? 50?

    What will happen if we continue down this path of self-destruction and division where people cocoon themselves in whatever self-fulfilling prophecy they want to believe and treat politics like it's the Cowboys vs. Redskins?

    Eventually you might get a charismatic, intelligent, inherently evil person with dictatorial aspirations who takes a look around and figures out how to push all the right buttons and game the system to reach whatever ends he/she has.

    Will our institutions be strong enough then after a few decades of "fake news" and petty bullshit tit for tat back and forth?

  9. #6238
    El Presidente' skidadl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    9,341
    Quote Originally Posted by Simpleton View Post
    Considering how easily manipulated and lacking in intelligence the vast majority of this country is I'd be all for strict limits on the powers of the executive branch. My main concern is not so much what Trump will do as President. He's an idiot and has authoritarian tendencies, yes, but I still believe our institutions are too strong to fail right now and I don't believe he is inherently evil or a psychopath, he just wants to be praised and not face scrutiny, basically.

    But what about 20 years from now? 30? 50?

    What will happen if we continue down this path of self-destruction and division where people cocoon themselves in whatever self-fulfilling prophecy they want to believe and treat politics like it's the Cowboys vs. Redskins?

    Eventually you might get a charismatic, intelligent, inherently evil person with dictatorial aspirations who takes a look around and figures out how to push all the right buttons and game the system to reach whatever ends he/she has.

    Will our institutions be strong enough then after a few decades of "fake news" and petty bullshit tit for tat back and forth?
    I think that is a fair question. We are dealing with a multitude of problems now. Unfortunately we are more polarized than any other time since the civil war. I really hate watching it all happen. The moral decline in our country has made kindness a joke. Social media has made us all instantly cynical.

    We have given up so much ground to a growing government, which sucks pretty bad. It is hard to mantain a positive outlook of you spend any time on social media at all.

  10. #6239
    Administrator boozeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    47,676
    Quote Originally Posted by skidadl View Post
    I think that is a fair question. We are dealing with a multitude of problems now. Unfortunately we are more polarized than any other time since the civil war. I really hate watching it all happen. The moral decline in our country has made kindness a joke. Social media has made us all instantly cynical.

    We have given up so much ground to a growing government, which sucks pretty bad. It is hard to mantain a positive outlook of you spend any time on social media at all.
    Social media is a blessing and a curse.

    The availability of images and information is just crazy.

    It just goes to show you that as a species, we are not equipped.

    The more information we have, the more we lose touch with the simple things. Being decent to each other and knowing what a face to face interaction is all about.

    I am with you, it is a sad state.

    But you know something, my inner cynic was here a long time ago and I hate it that I have validation for it.

    I used to think that some people suck.

    But the more I see, I realize every day that most people suck.

    You almost have to dig for human dignity these days.

  11. The following user likes this post:


  12. #6240
    One-armed Knife Sharpener Iamtdg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    59,425
    Quote Originally Posted by boozeman View Post
    Social media is a blessing and a curse.

    The availability of images and information is just crazy.

    It just goes to show you that as a species, we are not equipped.

    The more information we have, the more we lose touch with the simple things. Being decent to each other and knowing what a face to face interaction is all about.

    I am with you, it is a sad state.

    But you know something, my inner cynic was here a long time ago and I hate it that I have validation for it.

    I used to think that some people suck.

    But the more I see, I realize every day that most people suck.

    You almost have to dig for human dignity these days.
    Not only do most people suck, they also have stupid hanging around their necks in most cases, as well.
    2016 DCC LOTY Fantasy Football Champion

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •