Gameday Chatter Thread | Cowboys at Redskins | Week 2 | 09-18-16

Jiggyfly

Banned
It took NFL defenses an entire season to decode Kaep and RGIII. We need to see as much of Dak as we can.

I'll be damned if we enter 2017 Draft and pass up a blue chip QB prospect, only to see Dak get cut in 2019.
Is Dak doing anything similiar to what Kap was doing?

That's a lazy comparison and its no guarantee this blue chip prospect is better.

I am not saying Dak has proven everything but who is this blue chip prospect that is even on the horizon?

And the funny thing is if Dak was a blue chip prospect before this draft and playing this well nobody would be raising any questions.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I know one thing I wish would change... Running from the shotgun. I mean, once in awhile, sure. But God damn. I don't know the exact breakdown, but it seems we're running from the gun about 80% of the time or more. Enough.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
It took NFL defenses an entire season to decode Kaep and RGIII. We need to see as much of Dak as we can.

I'll be damned if we enter 2017 Draft and pass up a blue chip QB prospect, only to see Dak get cut in 2019.
RGIII and Kaep took different approaches to this game than Dak has. They were both way more prone to run sooner rather than later. That's because they couldn't get through their progressions nearly as quickly as Dak has. Which just shows how football smart Dak is, and how football stupid those other two are. You can't teach good football smarts in QBs. It is inherent, normally. Dak has it coming straight out of college. RGIII and Kaep will never have it.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I know one thing I wish would change... Running from the shotgun. I mean, once in awhile, sure. But God damn. I don't know the exact breakdown, but it seems we're running from the gun about 80% of the time or more. Enough.
I'm hoping Sturm's breakdown this week of Linehan will show that. It would be interesting to see.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Especially to Dunbar. C'mon.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
2 games and now Prescott is THE guy to lead the Cowboys for the next ten or so years...

What happens if he comes out and stinks up the joint in the next 2 games? Is he still THE guy?

He's looked pretty good so far, but God damn. Might want to tap the brakes a little.
He said we need to see if he is THE guy.

He didn't say that he was already THE guy.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Is Dak doing anything similiar to what Kap was doing?

That's a lazy comparison and its no guarantee this blue chip prospect is better.

I am not saying Dak has proven everything but who is this blue chip prospect that is even on the horizon?

And the funny thing is if Dak was a blue chip prospect before this draft and playing this well nobody would be raising any questions.
I think Dak has a much better arm than Kaperqueer.

I also think he's smarter across the board.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
It wasn't as bad as last week, but still too much for my liking.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Do you think the Patriot fans would go bonkers if their backup did well(not withstanding his injury) and Brady was installed after his suspension?
Different scenario.

You're talking about a great QB who doesn't have health issues. Aside from 2008 & this suspension, you can count on #12 being behind center. So hell yeah you welcome that guy back.

But a good QB who you can't count on to stay on the field.......you distance yourself from that guy as soon as a viable alternative presents itself.

Availability > ability

I don't care if Romo is one of the top 10 QBs in the league. Does us no good if he's always on the sideline in street clothes.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
No but I think at this point you have to start of wash away where the guys are drafted and evaluate them on their performances so far. And so far (preseason included) Dak looks legit. I don't see a reason why we shouldn't look him as a potential long term solution to the QB problem. And if he starts to go downhill you start to rethink that position, just like any team does with their QB.

Exactly right. Nobody is saying tap the brakes on wentz.

Genghis Khan

It's just something we have to get over. He hasn't played in any way resembling a fourth-round QB.

I think the reality is the NFL still hasn't figured out how to scout QB's from these no-huddle spread offenses that are permeating college football, ESPECIALLY ones that focus on a power run game like Mississippi State did and a lot of people simply missed the boat on Dak.

If they redrafted today, it would be an argument between him and Wentz for #1.
Correct.

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
I just want to see this team get on a little roll now and build some confidence. With the Bears up next we have a legit shot at beating them as well as the 49ers the following week. A 3-1 start for Dak would be pretty impressive even if it is against sub par teams.
I don't think the 9ers are as bad this season as we think they are.

Genghis Khan

Kaep and RGIII were successful early because they were leaning on using their legs and gimmicky offenses.

That's not been the case with Dak, he's been largely a pocket passer.

Genghis Khan

I think Dak has a much better arm than Kaperqueer.

I also think he's smarter across the board.
I think Kaep might have a better arm, I'm not sure. But you're right, he's nowhere near as smart and for that matter he's nowhere near the leader.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yep, if we had successfully traded up in the first and picked Jared Goff and he was doing this? Not a single person would be talking about pumping the breaks or saying his performance is basically the same thing we got out of our QBs last year.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I think Kaep might have a better arm, I'm not sure. But you're right, he's nowhere near as smart and for that matter he's nowhere near the leader.
Kaep always looked like more of a thrower than a passer he never looked as precise as Dak.

I always had doubts about him.

kidd

DCC 4Life
Agreed. I was practically screaming at my tv yesterday. If you're going to run the ball, run the damn ball! Enough of this cutesy empty backfield only to have Dunbar or whoever step behind the QB and try to run. You have the line and the back. Just run it down their throats. No need for any tricks.

kidd

DCC 4Life
As an aside, Prescott impresses me a lot. However, if healthy, Romo still gives us the best chance at winning.

Top Bottom