2016 Draft Weekend Chatter Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Elliott is not just "win now".

Four years from now Smith and Elliott will be a big part of the heart of this team and in their prime. Elliott will be 24, as old as Herschel Walker when he joined the Cowboys. Smith will be recovered and his knee won't be degenerative like Jack's.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Four years from now Smith and Elliott will be a big part of the heart of this team and in their prime. Elliott will be 24, as old as Herschel Walker when he joined the Cowboys. Smith will be recovered and his knee won't be degenerative like Jack's.
Fun fact, Jaylon is 20 years old right now. So he definitely is a younger guy as well.

data

Forbes #1
Apparently Schefter was saying people were looking at him towards end of the 1st to beginning of the 2nd.

Personally, I think some other GMs were sitting back waiting to see if Jerry would fall for it as a good laugh.
jerruh: wait a minute. Is this like the time you told me David LaFleur was hot?

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

Let's hope you're right on Smith, I have no doubt on Elliott. Our OL will be in it's prime 4 years from now too, and they will all be signed long-term, I am sure of that.

Tyron, Martin, Frederick and Collins will all be somewhere between about 26-29 or 30, so right there in their prime while Elliott should be in his prime. If we can build a strong DL, and assuming Smith recovers, you'd have two monsters in Elliott and Smith playing behind strong lines, that's pretty appealing.

Lord knows what our QB situation will look like at that point, hopefully we'll have traded up for Josh Rosen or something.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
The Elliott pick was an A+ for me, the Collins pick was probably a solid B, maybe B+, the Smith pick is what the draft will hinge on. There isn't going to be much middle ground with him, either he busts and in all likelihood this ends up being a 1-2 player draft like so many others that we've had recently or he comes back healthy and this draft ends up an absolute grand slam.
I agree. My worst case scenario was one of the DB's in the first and a QB on day 2. That didn't happen so that's a plus.

If we weren't trading down in the first then Elliot was who I wanted over guys like Ramsey and Buckner.

Round two just continues to be mind-numbing. Just automatically plug in whatever top prospect fell due to injury or character issues. Like clockwork. It wasn't Hackenberg or Cook so there's that. If Jaylon gets back to form then all is well, but that's a big if and an unnecessary gamble at the top of the 2nd.

Collins in the 3rd is OK. He's someone I considered in our DCC mock in the 4th, but opted to go elsewhere. But over the last month or two I've seen him in quite a few mocks in the 3rd-4th. I think early 3rd is a little high, but at least it's the right position and close to decent value.

The rest of the draft, not asking for much...I just hope we take guys considerably close to where they are projected. No major reaches or guys drafted purely for special teams. I think we will take a QB, I'd prefer waiting til the 5th or 6th and getting someone like Hogan or B. Allen, but I think we'll probably take Dak or Cook in the 4th. At this point I don't care since we avoided my biggest fear of taking one of them on day 2. I won't even post a list of potential day 3 prospects because if it's like usual I doubt we'll come close to drafting anyone off it.

Looking at other drafts, I think the Redskins are killing it. Doctson, Cravens and Fuller are all quality. Two years in a row now for them with an actual GM. Amazing how that works.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Yea there are a bunch of guys I'd love to see us snag in round 4 but I'm not even going to bother posting all of them since there is a very small chance we actually get any of them.

I'd be fine with Cook in the 4th, I'd avoid Dak but I'd at least look at not taking him in the 3rd as a win, if it was really up to me I'd get Brandon Allen later on. If we come out of tomorrow with just one of Andrew Billings, Ronald Blair, Josh Perry, Eric Murray, Maurice Canady, Charles Tapper, Harlan Miller, Kenny Lawler, Charone Peak or Connor McGovern I'd be pretty happy.

As for the Skins, I like Doctson and Fuller, kind of meh to Cravens. I guess they want him in the Deone Bucannon role but it takes a very creative defensive coordinator to really maximize guys like that.

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000639790/article/nfl-clubs-on-jaylon-smiths-knee-injury-its-bad

"A big part of this is the medical ... I've texted and talked to at least five different teams since (Saturday) night to ask them about Jaylon Smith. None of them will get specific, but the one common denominator is every team's told me it's bad, on the knee," Mayock said on NFL Network.

Hmm, in other news though they're saying he's squatting 400 lbs, which given that knee injury is pretty damn impressive.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000649143/article/jaylon-smith-squatting-400plus-pounds-after-knee-injury

The skinny: The most surprising thing to happen at Notre Dame's pro day didn't come on the field; it came out of Jaylon Smith's mouth. The Fighting Irish's star linebacker, who suffered a severe knee injury three months ago in the Fiesta Bowl, told NFL Media's Mike Mayock he is already leg pressing more than 600 pounds and squatting more than 400 in the weight room as his recovery continues. "It's just a matter of time. I'll be fine," Smith said. Smith would have been one of the draft's top picks if healthy this year, but his draft status is in question now and will hinge in part on the outcome of a medical re-check he'll undergo in Indianapolis in about two weeks.

data

Forbes #1
Watching jaylon smith press since and I'm starting to homer out on this. Just the coincidences:

we all know about Rod
dad is a Cowboys fan (although jaylon is a Patriots fan)
moms last name is Woodson
grew up with Anthony Spencer's little brother, who was in attendance at jaylons draft party.

he and his family carry themselves so well in interviews. Hard not to root especially hard to jaylon to succeed as a cowboy.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I felt like Cook could drop to the 4th and I think I would take a flyer on him at that level. Not sure Jones will take any one now.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Well, that's a relief.

Now, if they would just not be interested in Prescott, we'd be safe.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd be fine with Cook in the 4th, I'd avoid Dak but I'd at least look at not taking him in the 3rd as a win, if it was really up to me I'd get Brandon Allen later on. If we come out of tomorrow with just one of Andrew Billings, Ronald Blair, Josh Perry, Eric Murray, Maurice Canady, Charles Tapper, Harlan Miller, Kenny Lawler, Charone Peak or Connor McGovern I'd be pretty happy.
I love how you start by saying you won't make a list, and then proceed to list off a bunch of guys!

The fourth round to me is the round where you throw need to the wind and go as pure of BPA as possible. You're very unlikely to get an immediate starter in the fourth. But you can get a guy who is a stud a year or two down the road. So if you have an Olineman, QB or WR at the top of your board you don't hesitate.

Listenbee is another name I'd love to throw on your list. Just electric speed at WR with good size. Essentially a poor mans Fuller.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The unfortunate problem by the way is that sometimes Dallas goes the opposite direction in the draft and starts to try and fill holes for role players. You need a return man, well take the best one available. Blocking TE you say? Trade up for one. I hate that strategy. You'll never hit big on a day three pick doing that.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
The unfortunate problem by the way is that sometimes Dallas goes the opposite direction in the draft and starts to try and fill holes for role players. You need a return man, well take the best one available. Blocking TE you say? Trade up for one. I hate that strategy. You'll never hit big on a day three pick doing that.
Exactly right.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Please let Cleveland draft Cook. I just want to see RG3 with another Michigan State backup.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hope they aren't just locked in on defense, as though they are going to fix the defense by forcing a pick this late in the draft. But at the same time we are 3 picks away. So if the top 3 guys on our board are defense, obviously we would know defense is likely with the next pick.

Of course if we were going to go Cook, you would be very secretive about it. In the fourth round it would be pretty cheap for someone to move up ahead of us to take him if they wanted. Cook is starting to remind me of AJ McCarron though. A guy who played in an NFL style offense, had all the skills to probably be a second/third round QB but ended up going in the fifth because teams thought he was a massive dick. Similarly McCarron thought he was a guaranteed first rounder so he skipped the Senior Bowl and blew stuff like that off. Sort of like Connor Cook did.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Dang! I missed the Iamtdg meltdown. I need to go back and read through the thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom