QB Controversy Thread...

hstour

Brand New Member
Hot reads, quick slants, and screens have been missing from this offense's ability to beat the blitz forever. It is very frustrating.
Wasn't the throw to Dez in the divisional playoff vs GB the hot read on the strong side blitzing CB?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Wasn't the throw to Dez in the divisional playoff vs GB the hot read on the strong side blitzing CB?
Maybe so but I agree with Dallen. Those elements are not seriously in play currently but that is to be expected. Prescott is a rookie after all.

hstour

Brand New Member
Maybe so but I agree with Dallen. Those elements are not seriously in play currently but that is to be expected. Prescott is a rookie after all.
Maybe so now, but Dallen put the "forever" timeline on it. Thus my example.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Just amazing.

Cotton

Staff member

p1_

DCC 4Life
Got my anointing oils right here.

hstour

Brand New Member
It depends upon Romo's health and the quality of opponent. Hes not ready for Cleveland, but perhaps the RAvens and/or Bucs game. Im thinking there's just not a lot of opportunity.
I think now that Romo is cleared for full practice you have to find the opportunity.

There is no player in the NFL that isn't a hit away from not being available. ACLs, MCLs, separated shoulders or a concussion is just a hit away.

Joe Fan

Brand New Member

Just amazing.
That's my quarterback!

:towel

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Could Cowboys use Dak Prescott and Tony Romo interchangeably?

Posted by Mike Florio on November 12, 2016, 2:42 PM EST

When Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo is healthy enough to suit up, a question will emerge regarding the circumstances under which he’d enter a game.

Obviously, an injury to rookie Dak Prescott would open the door for Romo. But what would, in any given game, prompt the Cowboys to go to the bullpen for a guy who when 100 percent has been one of the better passers of the past decade?

On Friday’s PFT Live, I asked Cowboys executive V.P. and COO Stephen Jones whether there will be a specific plan as to the game circumstances that would prompt a switch or whether coach Jason Garrett would make that decision in the moment.

“I think probably the latter is how that’s gonna go,” Jones said. “We obviously feel good about what our team’s doing right now but at the same time when you got a great player like Tony, if you feel like he could infuse some energy and pull something out for you that maybe things aren’t going your way then certainly that’s a coaching decision that can be made by Jason and Scott [Linehan]. Right now, we’re focused on being positive and looking not past Pittsburgh at this point and we’ll just kinda take each day one day at a time.”

The possibility of Romo entering a game where “maybe things aren’t going [their] way” raises an alternative to Prescott or Romo being the clear-cut starter. In 2007, the Cardinals used both Matt Leinart and Kurt Warner, typically inserting Warner after the team fell behind and then going back to Leinart once Warner brought the Cardinals back. The back-and-forth continued, to the chagrin of Leinart, until he suffered a season-ending injury.

So could the Cowboys flip and flop their two quarterbacks, not in the 2015 Broncos way but within a given game? The approach could create a preparation nightmare for opponents, who would have to spend the days preceding the game getting ready for both guys.

Regardless of what the Cowboys do, they’re not going to be announcing their plans in advance. Which is the smartest way to handle it.
-------------

Seen this nonsense suggested by fans.

Just tells me they don't understand the differences in this offense with Prescott versus Romo.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life

Just tells me they don't understand the differences in this offense with Prescott versus Romo.
No one knows those differences because Romo has yet to play in this offense. You can claim 2014 was the same, buts it's clearly not.

This supporting cast is superior. This team can withstand the loss of Dez Bryant and still win.

That doesn't happen because Dak is any kind of real threat to run.

Elliott, the OL, Williams, Beasley, Butler... they're just better now than the 2014 team.

Cotton

Staff member
Could Cowboys use Dak Prescott and Tony Romo interchangeably?

Posted by Mike Florio on November 12, 2016, 2:42 PM EST

When Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo is healthy enough to suit up, a question will emerge regarding the circumstances under which he’d enter a game.

Obviously, an injury to rookie Dak Prescott would open the door for Romo. But what would, in any given game, prompt the Cowboys to go to the bullpen for a guy who when 100 percent has been one of the better passers of the past decade?

On Friday’s PFT Live, I asked Cowboys executive V.P. and COO Stephen Jones whether there will be a specific plan as to the game circumstances that would prompt a switch or whether coach Jason Garrett would make that decision in the moment.

“I think probably the latter is how that’s gonna go,” Jones said. “We obviously feel good about what our team’s doing right now but at the same time when you got a great player like Tony, if you feel like he could infuse some energy and pull something out for you that maybe things aren’t going your way then certainly that’s a coaching decision that can be made by Jason and Scott [Linehan]. Right now, we’re focused on being positive and looking not past Pittsburgh at this point and we’ll just kinda take each day one day at a time.”

The possibility of Romo entering a game where “maybe things aren’t going [their] way” raises an alternative to Prescott or Romo being the clear-cut starter. In 2007, the Cardinals used both Matt Leinart and Kurt Warner, typically inserting Warner after the team fell behind and then going back to Leinart once Warner brought the Cardinals back. The back-and-forth continued, to the chagrin of Leinart, until he suffered a season-ending injury.

So could the Cowboys flip and flop their two quarterbacks, not in the 2015 Broncos way but within a given game? The approach could create a preparation nightmare for opponents, who would have to spend the days preceding the game getting ready for both guys.

Regardless of what the Cowboys do, they’re not going to be announcing their plans in advance. Which is the smartest way to handle it.
-------------

That's such a stupid idea.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Cotton

Staff member
I actually feel bad for Tony. He has carried this team for so many years. Fighting through injury after perpetually getting his ass kicked. He deserves a ring.

And, if he's on the active roster when Dak takes us there, he will get one.

:unsure

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Benching the better and more proven player is gutless.

It's great that to support Dak the offensive coaches have been forced to spread the ball around more and that's proven to be a strong formula.

Dak will be here for many, many years.

But Tony's a better passer and more experienced at changing protections at the line. Tony gives you a better chance to win every time, and especially as the competition gets harder down the stretch.

Cotton

Staff member
But not feeling bad enough that you hope he gets hurt if he plays, though. Right?

:art
Context. I said if he plays and struggles I hope he gets hurt.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
No one knows those differences because Romo has yet to play in this offense. You can claim 2014 was the same, buts it's clearly not.

This supporting cast is superior. This team can withstand the loss of Dez Bryant and still win.

Elliott, the OL, Williams, Beasley, Butler... they're just better now than the 2014 team.
:lol

They all look better now, once they played with Dak. Before this season started people were projecting this as an 8-8 team with a healthy Romo. Now suddenly that Dak is doing great we are a team just stacked better then ever.

Cotton

Staff member
I don't remember the struggles part. But even so... Still pretty gay.
I want what's best for the team, and a rusty jumpy Tony Romo ain't it, right now.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

This is true.

Top Bottom