Looking to buy a used vehicle.

Jiggyfly

Banned
It looks like the CTS coup is it I am going to look at a couple this weekend.

This is the leader out of the box.

Any advice on financing would be appreciated, should I go through my bank on site or online?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Any advice on financing would be appreciated, should I go through my bank on site or online?
That depends on the dealership, I think. I went through Nissan Finance when I bought my wife's car and got 0%. I had planned to take the offer sheet to my bank to see what they could get me, but obviously at 0% they couldn't beat it. Not sure what all companies offer 0%, or if there are just certain times of the year it is offered.

Jiggyfly

Banned
That depends on the dealership, I think. I went through Nissan Finance when I bought my wife's car and got 0%. I had planned to take the offer sheet to my bank to see what they could get me, but obviously at 0% they couldn't beat it. Not sure what all companies offer 0%, or if there are just certain times of the year it is offered.
This will be a used purchase so 0 is out of the question.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
It looks like the CTS coup is it I am going to look at a couple this weekend.

This is the leader out of the box.

Damn good looking car...I really like that Red Cadillac came out with.

I'd see if your bank can match what the dealership is doing. The only thing about the dealership is with good credit, they will shop the shit out of the loan to get the best rate.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Damn good looking car...I really like that Red Cadillac came out with.

I'd see if your bank can match what the dealership is doing. The only thing about the dealership is with good credit, they will shop the shit out of the loan to get the best rate.
Good to know.

Yeah I love that red that's why I am starting to move on this.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Good to know.

Yeah I love that red that's why I am starting to move on this.
Are you going to inspect the car in person before you buy it? Or is the car local?

Jiggyfly

Banned
So I went out this weekend looking at cars.

Talking to multiple salesmen was a real learning experience.

You can actually save money by going with a higher priced car if it is newer and has less mileage because those things really impact the interest rate.

They really want to get you into a new car and will offer a lot of different stuff, was very tempted but I could not afford what I really wanted new.

Cadillac makes some really stunning cars getting up close and test driving was an eye opening experience.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You can actually save money by going with a higher priced car if it is newer and has less mileage because those things really impact the interest rate.
I'm sure their commission being based on the price of the car has nothing to do with that...

Not saying it is or isn't true but you may want to sit down and actually work out the numbers. It all depends on the actual interest rates you can get and how long it will take before you pay the car off. But obviously as a salesman they have their own motivations.

Last edited:

Jiggyfly

Banned
I'm sure their commission being based on the price of the car has nothing to do with that...

Not saying it is or isn't true but you may want to sit down and actually work out the numbers. It all depends on the actual interest rates you can get and how long it will take before you pay the car off. But obviously as a salesman they have their own motivations.
Did the research online and it's definitely true.

The older the car the higher the interest rate and some lenders will not lend over a certain mileage.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Did the research online and it's definitely true.

The older the car the higher the interest rate and some lenders will not lend over a certain mileage.
Oh I believe that is true. Just like Iamtdg said, you can sometimes get zero interest on a brand new car. So obviously the interest will cost you more on a used car.

midswat

... soon
Also looking and also only buy used for the value reason listed. Although I'm wanting either a Wrangler Unlimited or 4Runner.

I should/could be practical and just keep my Grand Cherokee as my SUV since it's paid and get a fuel efficient car but making good life choices isn't really my thing.

Question: Anyone have any experience or know anyone who does, with either Carvana or Vroom.com? Basically they're online car dealerships who deliver for free. Finance too. All that jazz. It would seem odd buying without test driving but I've been impressed with both sites as opposed to the selection I find on Cars.com or Autotrader, etc

Jiggyfly

Banned
Also looking and also only buy used for the value reason listed. Although I'm wanting either a Wrangler Unlimited or 4Runner.

I should/could be practical and just keep my Grand Cherokee as my SUV since it's paid and get a fuel efficient car but making good life choices isn't really my thing.

Question: Anyone have any experience or know anyone who does, with either Carvana or Vroom.com? Basically they're online car dealerships who deliver for free. Finance too. All that jazz. It would seem odd buying without test driving but I've been impressed with both sites as opposed to the selection I find on Cars.com or Autotrader, etc
Never heard of those, will have to check them out.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I just bought a new/used pickup and found mine through cargurus.com. They have some local dealers that don't show up at cars.com or Auto Trader. None of them are foolproof but I usually spend quite a bit of time looking before deciding. The Colorado I bought was actually the second I've bought in the past year, the other belongs to my better half now after I convinced her to *finally* give up her beloved '93 Bonneville with the rusted out rocker panels.

Another site I've used is carcomplaints.com. They have a database of used cars going back over twenty-five years and list all NHTSA complaints against just about any given make, model and year. It swayed me away from some and I leaned on it heavily when making both purchases.

colorado.jpg

Jiggyfly

Banned
I just bought a new/used pickup and found mine through cargurus.com. They have some local dealers that don't show up at cars.com or Auto Trader. None of them are foolproof but I usually spend quite a bit of time looking before deciding. The Colorado I bought was actually the second I've bought in the past year, the other belongs to my better half now after I convinced her to *finally* give up her beloved '93 Bonneville with the rusted out rocker panels.

Another site I've used is carcomplaints.com. They have a database of used cars going back over twenty-five years and list all NHTSA complaints against just about any given make, model and year. It swayed me away from some and I leaned on it heavily when making both purchases.

View attachment 419
Nice truck and have done research on those sites found the car I really wanted but they would not come down to what I want.

But I have to admit to being leery of taking on a car note I have not paid one in 4 years

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Nice truck and have done research on those sites found the car I really wanted but they would not come down to what I want.

But I have to admit to being leery of taking on a car note I have not paid one in 4 years
Yeah, they're pretty tight about negotiating around here because there are tons of small lots as well as bigger dealers but I used t work in sales and you can't sell a salesman. I got them to knock $3,000 off of it by pointing out a few things as well as stressing that I was a cash buyer.

Sometimes it just comes down to timing. I missed out on a couple of good deals last winter because of my schedule. That first purchase took a few months, this last one around a month.

I ended up being satisfied with both deals that I ended up with though.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Yeah, they're pretty tight about negotiating around here because there are tons of small lots as well as bigger dealers but I used t work in sales and you can't sell a salesman. I got them to knock $3,000 off of it by pointing out a few things as well as stressing that I was a cash buyer.

Sometimes it just comes down to timing. I missed out on a couple of good deals last winter because of my schedule. That first purchase took a few months, this last one around a month.

I ended up being satisfied with both deals that I ended up with though.
When is the best time to buy?

I would think some good deals would be around February March when the tax money dries up and there are more trade in's and end of leases.

Also how long is a car on the lot before they get antsy?

When you say cash do you meant outside loan?

Where in car sales or something else?

Top Bottom