MLB Chatter Thread

Carp

DCC 4Life
Matz started out good, but young pitchers sometimes don't know how to minimize a rally. Kershaw was excellent...he just pounded the inside part of the plate all night and broke off some great curves.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
In Sandy Alderson book he mentioned that back in 2011 they tried to acquire Rougned Odor in a trade Beltran to Texas. He was supposed to have been a throw in but Texas didnt bite. Again in this past off season they tried again in the Gee talks.

So glad Texas didnt give him up.

Jiggyfly

Banned
No, that happened top 9, and the Astros I believe went 1-2-3 in the bottom half and the series went back to St. Louis, where Roy Oswalt completely dominated in Game 6.

The key then was the same as it is now. The team kept it loose and didn't panic. Apparently, on the flight to St. Louis, Brad Ausmus had the pilot come over the loudspeaker with something like, "If you look out the window to your right, you'll see the Albert Pujols home run ball..." :lol
Ok yeah I remember that now and the Ausmus story.:lol

Hopefully history repeats itself, would be nice to have a Oswalt to run out there.

Rev

Staff member
Ok yeah I remember that now and the Ausmus story.:lol

Hopefully history repeats itself, would be nice to have a Oswalt to run out there.
I'm not sure he could give you very much today.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Joe Maddon is probably the best manager in baseball btw.
All I know is that following the Cubs on a day to day basis over the years there is a huge difference between Maddon and the previous few managers. Not even close. Lou Piniella is the only Cubs manager of the past 25 years I can think of that is in the same class.

How he compares to the rest of the league I can't say for sure but just looking at the results the guy got in Tampa and his first year in Chicago I don't think it is possible to have a conversation about the best manager in baseball without giving him serious consideration.

D

Deuce

All I know is that following the Cubs on a day to day basis over the years there is a huge difference between Maddon and the previous few managers. Not even close. Lou Piniella is the only Cubs manager of the past 25 years I can think of that is in the same class.

How he compares to the rest of the league I can't say for sure but just looking at the results the guy got in Tampa and his first year in Chicago I don't think it is possible to have a conversation about the best manager in baseball without giving him serious consideration.
He makes a difference, but I think it's much less than people think. Maybe the actual difference in a small handful of games but that's about it. The Rays were supposed to be absolute shit this year with their injuries to SP's and the type of lineup they put on the field. So bad that Maddon walked away from the situation. We bring in someone with absolutely no experience and get 80 wins.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
He makes a difference, but I think it's much less than people think. Maybe the actual difference in a small handful of games but that's about it. The Rays were supposed to be absolute shit this year with their injuries to SP's and the type of lineup they put on the field. So bad that Maddon walked away from the situation. We bring in someone with absolutely no experience and get 80 wins.
I don't think there is a way to really quantify a manager WAR, but there is no doubt Maddon is the perfect guy for this team at this time.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
If the Mets can take care of the Dodgers, there won't be any teams remaining that I dislike in any way, so that would be nice.

If the Texas teams don't make it, I'll be pulling for the Cubs. It would be nice to see that fanbase finally be rewarded for all their suffering.

I'm not a huge baseball fan, but that 2004 Red Sox championship is still one of my favorite moments as a sports fan. Especially after blowing game 7 in the ALCS the year before by leaving Pedro in too long, to go from the very bottom to the very top in just 1 year was crazy. So I can only imagine what a lifelong Cubs fan will feel if they finally pull it off.

Rev

Staff member
Either Texas or Cubs for me.

Rev

Staff member
Excuse me while I get a little nervous.....

My favorite play in the recent past from my favorite Ranger that got away....

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I'm sure I have a bolded, size 5 GFY coming but I am hoping the Dodgers take game 5. Consider it a sign of respect for the Mets though, Carp. I would rather see the Cubs play the Dodgers because I think they have a better chance of beating them than the Mets in the NLCS. Besides the obvious talent the Mets have (particularly in the rotation), they are the other team in the NL besides the Cubs that just seem to have some sort of mojo working for them.

Whoever they play it should be a good series. Dodgers don't scare me as much though. Would rather see the Cubs play the away games in a warm weather city like LA over NY as well.

Last edited:
D

Deuce

I think the Mets/Cubs NLCS would be a hell of a series to watch. Dodgers just bore me. 2 great pitchers and then mostly a bunch of overpriced stiffs. If Puig was still as exciting as he once was, maybe I'd feel different but they are just meh to me.

Also, since we're posting videos of favorite recent playoff plays I'll go with this one.

Last edited by a moderator:

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Dodgers just bore me. 2 great pitchers and then mostly a bunch of overpriced stiffs. If Puig was still as exciting as he once was, maybe I'd feel different but they are just meh to me.
This is exactly why I, as a Cubs fan, would rather see the Cubs face the Dodgers than the Mets. Kershaw and Greinke are phenomenal but not infallible. Not a whole lot else about that team should scare anyone.

dallen

Senior Tech
I think the Mets/Cubs NLCS would be a hell of a series to watch. Dodgers just bore me. 2 great pitchers and then mostly a bunch of overpriced stiffs. If Puig was still as exciting as he once was, maybe I'd feel different but they are just meh to me.

Also, since we're posting videos of favorite recent playoff plays I'll go with this one.
DIAF

D

Deuce

Wow...Cruz was not even close to that.
Such a horrific read, jump and overall play. I couldn't help but laugh my ass off when it happened. Not a routine fly ball, but when playing no doubles it should have been pretty easy.

Top Bottom