2016 POTUS Election Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jiggyfly

Banned
You clearly have no knowledge of economics. Seriously, its pretty obvious you've never taken an econ class and have no knowledge of economics.
I have taken several econ classes and teach some basic concepts but it's not like you need to have taken any classes to see how wrong you are.

townsend

Banned
Why do you think that? Our Real GDP Growth rate isn't anywhere close to an all time best right now.

France for example has one of the higher minimum wages around the world. They also have what, like 10% unemployment rate?
Growth isn't everything. If Cuba bounces back after we finally take down this ridiculous embargo, and has it's stifled economy grow tenfold in a couple years, it's not the most powerful economy is it? It's just a tourist destination that opened back up. The American economy is complex, and multifaceted. It can endure one of it's largest industries (oil) absolutely fucking tanking and still add millions of jobs. The fact that it is still growing, means that it's larger than it's ever been, therefore stronger than it's ever been.

Like I said, minimum wage is not the only factor here, but I have a whole lot of examples of its absence being a symptom of a grossly exploited lower class. France is clearly sitting on the other side of the entitlement curve, as they're so famous for their obscenely long holidays and short work weeks, the French work ethic is fairly unimpressive as well.

Frankly I believe it's important to strike a balance when it comes to employees' rights. For instance I believe whole heartedly in "right to work" values. Nothing, nothing, nothing kills human productivity like having their job unduly protected. This is why I'm vehemently anti-union, because I think the last thing we need is to let people who "paid their dues" take up the best jobs, and do them poorly, while more competent and hungry workers are left on the outside looking in.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Growth isn't everything. If Cuba bounces back after we finally take down this ridiculous embargo, and has it's stifled economy grow tenfold in a couple years, it's not the most powerful economy is it? It's just a tourist destination that opened back up. The American economy is complex, and multifaceted. It can endure one of it's largest industries (oil) absolutely fucking tanking and still add millions of jobs. The fact that it is still growing, means that it's larger than it's ever been, therefore stronger than it's ever been.
The GDP is always going up. The only time it goes down is during periods of economic disaster. The best indicator of a strong economy is the growth rate. It's a pretty standard measuring stick for an economy. If for example Cuba's growth rate greatly increases right now, then yes it would be an indicator of a stronger economy (Compared to it's economy in the past). Would that not cause the Cuban economy to be better? So yes, you're statement that the US economy now is the best we have seen is a silly statement. It sounds like something the Obama administration would say to pat themselves on the back when in reality it's not true at all. Now there are many factors that go into that. For example GDP growth rates tend to go up significantly during times of great technological advancement.

I get that you're looking for wealth redistribution. That's ultimately what you want to happen. It's bad overall for the economy but regulations that support wealth redistribution could help close the gap between the rich and the poor. It's a trade off. If you really want wealth redistribution though you're barking up the wrong tree by looking at increasing the minimum wage.

Last edited:

townsend

Banned
The GDP is always going up. The only time it goes down is during periods of economic disaster. The best indicator of a strong economy is the growth rate. It's a pretty standard measuring stick for an economy. If for example Cuba's growth rate greatly increases right now, then yes it would be an indicator of a stronger economy (Compared to it's economy in the past). Would that not cause the Cuban economy to be better? So yes, you're statement that the US economy now is the best we have seen is a silly statement. It sounds like something the Obama administration would say to pat themselves on the back when in reality it's not true at all. Now there are many factors that go into that. For example GDP growth rates tend to go up significantly during times of great technological advancement.

I get that you're looking for wealth redistribution. That's ultimately what you want to happen. It's bad overall for the economy but regulations that support wealth redistribution could help close the gap between the rich and the poor. It's a trade off. If you really want wealth redistribution though you're barking up the wrong tree by looking at increasing the minimum wage.
I'll agree that growth matters, but by itself is only a single indicator. For instance if Cuba's growth increases exponentially that's good but it could still be toppled by a a downtick in tropical vacations, or an airline or cruise line catastrophe. China has maintained the illusion of a growing economy due to currency manipulation for decades.

Just like the housing index, it's a bad idea to stick to a single point as an indication of economic strength. I think the US's economic strength is in its diversity.

Wealth distribution seems like a conservative buzzword. Like how Ron Paul got called an Isolationist every time they needed an excuse to call his idea kooky.

Right now the U.S. has been separated into classes that are becoming increasingly difficult to climb. That's not what the U.S. is about.this was the land of opportunity (for whites). I think what Americans want more than anything is the ability to enter the middle class from the working poor, which is nearly impossible at this moment.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wealth distribution seems like a conservative buzzword. Like how Ron Paul got called an Isolationist every time they needed an excuse to call his idea kooky.
It's the proper term in economics. I use the word because after taking some of the most advanced economics courses that I could it's ingrained in my head.

Now calling something a subsidy that isn't, that's a buzzword.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Trump calls former President George W. Bush 'a disaster'

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/10/06/trump-former-president-george-w-bush-was-disaster/?intcmp=hplnws

Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump took a swipe at former President George W. Bush Tuesday night on Fox News’ “Special Report with Bret Baier,” saying he had been a “disaster” and entering the Iraq War was “one of the worst decisions ever made.”

In a sitdown interview with Baier, the front-running GOP candidate also said he thought eminent domain, the right of the government or a builder to take away property from its owner for compensation, was “wonderful.”

Trump, a billionaire real estate mogul, suggested property owners shouldn’t hold out in situations where a factory or other job-creation project is proposed and discredited the charge eminent domain means the government simply grabs Americans’ homes and other properties.

“Most of the time it’s more money,” said Trump, who also criticized a major critic of the tactic, the influential fiscal conservative group Club for Growth.

When Baier asked Trump if he stood by a statement he made in 2007 and 2008 saying he would impeach Bush for getting into the Iraq War, Trump replied, “I think he was a disaster and I think it was one of the worst decisions ever made. [He] has totally destabilized the Middle East. If you had Saddam Hussein, you wouldn’t have the problems you have right now.”

Trump insisted that he is the “most militarist” candidate in the 2016 presidential field, but stood behind his recently-stated position that the United States should allow Russia to continue airstrikes in Syria that are hitting Islamic State fighters.

“If somebody wants to go hit ISIS, that’s OK with me,” said Trump, whose campaign has been criticized for too much showmanship and too little specifics on foreign and domestic policy.

Trump also expressed frustration with the constant questions from reporters about whether he’ll stay in the 2016 race, despite leading the GOP field in essentially every poll since early summer.

“That’s dishonest reporting,” he said. “I’m not going to get out of the races. … I’m having a great time. I want to make America great again.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I thought the Republican debates were good for a lot of laughs, but these asswipes are even more pathetic.

My God, one of these complete shitheads will be our President.

I have never seen anything this awful.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

It's true. It's true.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Someone needs to invoke the mercy rule for Chafee.

Wow.

I feel sorry for that poor bastard and I wonder how on earth anyone sane ever elected him to public office.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Bernie has the same kook factor Ron Paul had. Sometimes makes sense, but the package is not there.

Carl

RIP Brother
Someone needs to invoke the mercy rule for Chafee.

Wow.

I feel sorry for that poor bastard and I wonder how on earth anyone sane ever elected him to public office.
Agreed on Chafee. But my main question is why did they sing the national anthem before this thing.. [MENTION=15]pdom[/MENTION]

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Bernie sounds like he is selling mattresses on late night TV in New York.

THIRTY BUCKS A PIECE

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I will say, if any of those candidates might make a decent president, it would be Jim Webb. Certainly better than those other four jokers. Sanders solidified the fact he's a moron. I particularly liked his answer to the question "black lives matter, or ALL lives matter". He chose just black lives matter, eh? Wow. Pander for votes much? Clinton is as sneaky as ever, and is relying on the fact she's a woman to push her to the presidency. O'Malley is a younger Biden. Only good for grinning like an idiot and repeating the same nonsense of an all electric country by 2050 over, and over, and over, and over... Oh, and Lincoln Chaffee? lol Good Lord. That dude should be starring in his own cartoon. I kind of felt sorry for him.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I feel sorta guilty that I haven't seen any of the debates. This is the country that I love in but I have very little hope in either party. It is depressing to me.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I feel sorta guilty that I haven't seen any of the debates. This is the country that I love in but I have very little hope in either party. It is depressing to me.
Don't feel guilty. Both have been clown shows that would disappointed you even more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom