MLB Chatter Thread

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
First, Sheffield has a long reputation as a douche. Not who I'd call credible.

Second, I've followed Utley for a long time and this is not the narrative up til now. But the pitchforks are out and lazy people like Sheffield want to pile on.

Third, here's Charlie Manuel on Utley (doesn't sound like a guy who can't take it):

“That’s the way he plays. The first time I ever seen him was in Rochester playing triple-A baseball, that’s the first game I’ve even seen him and he hit a catcher, and the catcher was big, and he threw Chase up in the air about three or four feet over his back, and he landed and it hurt him. And I said to him after the game I said “way to go” and he looked at me and he said “I don’t know, Charlie.”

And in Utley’s career, Utley’s been hit a lot at second. He’s also a guy when he catches a ball, he stays there … he stays in too long sometimes. And I seen times like Lasting Milledge in Warshington one night spiked him real high, basically just jumped up on his knee, and he slid high and he cut him, and they were showing a replay of it and they had a recording in Warshington’s clubhouse at the time, and Milledge is sitting there bragging about doing it, saying he meant to do it …

And then in Cincinnati he got cut (physically), and he would never tell me. He wouldn’t even say something to a trainer unless another player, Jimmy Rollins or somebody, would say something to him. And that’s who he is …

I knew he did not slide to hurt Tejada, but he had the intention to take him out on the double play. He slid late, but he definitely did not mean to hurt him in no way.”
Yes, Sheffield is a douche but you can't exactly consider Charlie Manuel impartial when it comes to Utley.

Whatever. I don't really care. Cubs are up 7-4 headed into the 8th. Need to close this MFer out.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
One more game at Wrigley. Need to put these bastard Cardinals away. I want no part of an elimination game at Busch Stadium. Go Cubs, Go!

Carp

DCC 4Life
One more game at Wrigley. Need to put these bastard Cardinals away. I want no part of an elimination game at Busch Stadium. Go Cubs, Go!
If we play in the NLCS do we get homefield based on.winning division?

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
If we play in the NLCS do we get homefield based on.winning division?
I would assume so.

Edit: Confirmed. Division winners always get home field over the Wild Card team. That is as it should be, but it kind of sucks that the Cubs had a better overall record and also went 7-0 against the Mets this season yet would have cede home field advantage if the two teams happen to meet in the NLCS!

Last edited:

Carp

DCC 4Life
Still baffling to me how the Dodgers can spend as much money as they do and still only have Brett Anderson as their 3rd starter.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Well, looks like both Texas teams are going to blow an excellent opportunity to advance to the LCS.

Both came home with 2-0 leads, and they're both very likely going back on the road for game 5.
Astros did not have a 2-0 lead but that was a crushing game to lose yesterday.

The bullpen has been the weakest link all year.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Still baffling to me how the Dodgers can spend as much money as they do and still only have Brett Anderson as their 3rd starter.
I was thinking the same thing last night. Their bullpen is also not very good. They are paying >$50M for Kershaw and Greinke alone. Then they have guys like Carl Crawford making $20M, Andre Ethier making $18M, a washed up Jimmy Rollins making $11M at this point in his career. Even Adrian Gonzalez, who is still a good player, is not worth the $21M he is being paid (though it may be nitpicking with AGonz).

If they don't get some of those contracts off their books and put together a complete roster they are going to be the same story they have been the past few years...good regular season but not good enough to win in the postseason. Greinke is going to bail so it will be interesting to see how they go about replacing him.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
Astros did not have a 2-0 lead but that was a crushing game to lose yesterday.

The bullpen has been the weakest link all year.
Feh. Deflating but not crushing, I'd say. I just don't feel like this team is going to let that loss get to them. They may very well lose, but this is one team I don't feel like is going to fold psychologically. If they lose, it will be because the Royals are a better team right now.

Maybe I am wrong, and the players are all losing sleep over it, but this is just the vibe I get.

It probably comes from a.) This is a really young team kind of playing with house money that nobody expected, and b.) I lived through the OMG DEVASTATING Pujols home run... the same year Houston went to the World Series. Granted, that second one has no bearing on anything except my feelings. :lol

Carp

DCC 4Life
I was thinking the same thing last night. Their bullpen is also not very good. They are paying >$50M for Kershaw and Greinke alone. Then they have guys like Carl Crawford making $20M, Andre Ethier making $18M, a washed up Jimmy Rollins making $11M at this point in his career. Even Adrian Gonzalez, who is still a good player, is not worth the $21M he is being paid (though it may be nitpicking with AGonz).

If they don't get some of those contracts off their books and put together a complete roster they are going to be the same story they have been the past few years...good regular season but not good enough to win in the postseason. Greinke is going to bail so it will be interesting to see how they go about replacing him.
Let's not forget that they dealt Dee Gordon in a deal they got Andrew Heaney in...who they promptly traded for Howie Kendrick. So they went from a middle field combination of Hanley Ramirez, Dee Gordon, and Justin Turner...to Rollins, Kendrick, and Turner...while unloading a promising young arm in Heaney. Young pitching and dynamic speedsters are of great value now, but they were not shiny enough objects for LA.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Feh. Deflating but not crushing, I'd say. I just don't feel like this team is going to let that loss get to them. They may very well lose, but this is one team I don't feel like is going to fold psychologically. If they lose, it will be because the Royals are a better team right now.

Maybe I am wrong, and the players are all losing sleep over it, but this is just the vibe I get.

It probably comes from a.) This is a really young team kind of playing with house money that nobody expected, and b.) I lived through the OMG DEVASTATING Pujols home run... the same year Houston went to the World Series. Granted, that second one has no bearing on anything except my feelings. :lol
The good thing with them is that they are so young that a loss like that will not linger. If they were older they might get nerves because this might be their last chance, etc...but these young guys have no idea and just seem to be enjoying shit.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Man, I knew it was bad... but wow.

Jiggyfly

Banned

I have never heared a stadium get so silent as MM did after that bomb.:lol

But didn't we come back and win that game?

That's a lot different than having to sleep on it and go on the road and that bullpen will now be scared to death to get in the game.

Hopefully Mchugh can go deep and the bats stay hot and the Rangers choke it up big time.:unsure

Kbrown

Not So New Member
I have never heared a stadium get so silent as MM did after that bomb.:lol

But didn't we come back and win that game?

That's a lot different than having to sleep on it and go on the road and that bullpen will now be scared to death to get in the game.

Hopefully Mchugh can go deep and the bats stay hot and the Rangers choke it up big time.:unsure
No, that happened top 9, and the Astros I believe went 1-2-3 in the bottom half and the series went back to St. Louis, where Roy Oswalt completely dominated in Game 6.

The key then was the same as it is now. The team kept it loose and didn't panic. Apparently, on the flight to St. Louis, Brad Ausmus had the pilot come over the loudspeaker with something like, "If you look out the window to your right, you'll see the Albert Pujols home run ball..." :lol

Top Bottom