Archer: So far so not-so-bad for the Cowboys' defense through four games

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That is one of their most productive sets and Dak is very comfortable with it.
Yeah that's dumb. We are one of the best offenses in football. We don't need to make drastic changes there at all.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I have heard fans complain about this formation for at least three or four years and when I respond it the most productive formation that is ignored. For a needed first down this formation creates some mismatches for the run and pass plays. It can't be used for every down because defenses would abandon coverages and go to the QB but for circundtancial plays it is very effective.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have heard fans complain about this formation for at least three or four years and when I respond it the most productive formation that is ignored. For a needed first down this formation creates some mismatches for the run and pass plays. It can't be used for every down because defenses would abandon coverages and go to the QB but for circundtancial plays it is very effective.
You abandon coverage against it and that makes for an easy pitch and catch. If you drop more in coverage the Cowboys now have a QB who can take off and run for the first down.

It's a great formation for us with the talent we have right now.

shane

DCC 4Life
Have you missed the several times Dak's almost thrown interceptions or costly penalties have come out of that set?

Also, I'm very happy the coaches took my advice for this Cincy game :flip

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Watching Lawrence today, I might actually feel good about this defense if Gregory had also come back and showed a legit second year leap.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Have you missed the several times Dak's almost thrown interceptions or costly penalties have come out of that set?

Also, I'm very happy the coaches took my advice for this Cincy game :flip
Wut?

They ran about the same amount of empty sets today.

And Dak has maybe 2 almost int's on the whole season so I don't know what you are talking about.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Watching Lawrence today, I might actually feel good about this defense if Gregory had also come back and showed a legit second year leap.
The consistent pressure was probably the most surprising thing today. Probably due to a combination of things, but Lawrence was a clear boost.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The consistent pressure was probably the most surprising thing today. Probably due to a combination of things, but Lawrence was a clear boost.
Lawrence was big but our DTs also stepped up. If we had one more end to pressure from the other side our pass rush could be dynamic.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Lawrence was big but our DTs also stepped up. If we had one more end to pressure from the other side our pass rush could be dynamic.
They peeled their ears back with the lead we had built. The coverage was fantastic. Multiple kill shots defended with clutch breakups.

But it all started with Zeke and Dak, but mostly Zeke today. Tyron made a huge impact, and the right interior was dominant.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
and Beasley was yet again the game changer.

shane

DCC 4Life
Wut?

They ran about the same amount of empty sets today.

And Dak has maybe 2 almost int's on the whole season so I don't know what you are talking about.
After yesterday, I won't complain about any of the sets they put Dak in. It seems like he's in total control out there, and the team may be a juggernaut.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
They peeled their ears back with the lead we had built. The coverage was fantastic. Multiple kill shots defended with clutch breakups.
Our defense has had other opportunities this year to sort of peel their ears back and rush the passer and have failed to do so. Yesterday was different though. When they knew the other team was passing the ball they were able to rush the passer and impact his ability to throw.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Our defense has had other opportunities this year to sort of peel their ears back and rush the passer and have failed to do so. Yesterday was different though. When they knew the other team was passing the ball they were able to rush the passer and impact his ability to throw.
Cincy has failed to replace two solid receiving options they lost in the offseason and it bit them hard yesterday.

Dallas made sure to limit AJ Green and the rest of the field couldn't get open.

Any pass rush would look better when the hot and short routes are covered.

Kudos to the coaches on this one and a better matchup for us than I originally thought.

Steelers are clearly the best offense in the game right now, but we're not that far behind.

Top Bottom