User Tag List

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 225

Thread: This Little Pipeline Protest

  1. #11
    Senior Member NoDak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    9,281
    Quote Originally Posted by jeebs View Post
    That said, the bastards are putting up a hell of a fight and they sure give a shit more about it than the average American. You almost want to wish them luck
    The majority of them have no idea what they are protesting about. The pipeline was originally planned to go through about 5 miles of the northern tip of the Standing Rock reservation. In the year leading up to the beginning of construction, not one tribal councilman attending any zoning meetings for the pipeline. The tribe was offered 6 million dollars for the right of way. Dave Archambault and the tribe counter offered 10 million dollars. The counter offer was denied, and it was rerouted just north of the reservation, where all private land owners attended the zoning meetings, voted to approve, and were paid for the right away. Then the protests started, over "Saving Water and sacred lands".

    So, are we to believe that for another 4 million dollars, the water and imaginary sacred lands would have been just fine then? Also, the route they are following now to cross the Missouri river follows an ALREADY EXISTING natural gas line that was put in during the 1980s. One that that the tribe is perfectly fine with, and has caused absolutely no problems.

    All of this information is a matter of public record, and has been reported locally but for some reason, the national media has decided to just ignore. But then again, I guess that information might keep the morons that get their information from fucking internet memes from actually understanding what is really happening there.

  2. #12
    Senior Member L.T. Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    14,626
    Quote Originally Posted by NoDak View Post
    The majority of them have no idea what they are protesting about. The pipeline was originally planned to go through about 5 miles of the northern tip of the Standing Rock reservation. In the year leading up to the beginning of construction, not one tribal councilman attending any zoning meetings for the pipeline. The tribe was offered 6 million dollars for the right of way. Dave Archambault and the tribe counter offered 10 million dollars. The counter offer was denied, and it was rerouted just north of the reservation, where all private land owners attended the zoning meetings, voted to approve, and were paid for the right away. Then the protests started, over "Saving Water and sacred lands".

    So, are we to believe that for another 4 million dollars, the water and imaginary sacred lands would have been just fine then? Also, the route they are following now to cross the Missouri river follows an ALREADY EXISTING natural gas line that was put in during the 1980s. One that that the tribe is perfectly fine with, and has caused absolutely no problems.

    All of this information is a matter of public record, and has been reported locally but for some reason, the national media has decided to just ignore. But then again, I guess that information might keep the morons that get their information from fucking internet memes from actually understanding what is really happening there.
    Thank you.
    Since Day One

  3. #13
    Banned Jiggyfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    9,221
    Quote Originally Posted by L.T. Fan View Post
    Thank you.


    Really?

  4. #14
    One-armed Knife Sharpener Iamtdg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    50,039
    Quote Originally Posted by NoDak View Post
    The majority of them have no idea what they are protesting about. The pipeline was originally planned to go through about 5 miles of the northern tip of the Standing Rock reservation. In the year leading up to the beginning of construction, not one tribal councilman attending any zoning meetings for the pipeline. The tribe was offered 6 million dollars for the right of way. Dave Archambault and the tribe counter offered 10 million dollars. The counter offer was denied, and it was rerouted just north of the reservation, where all private land owners attended the zoning meetings, voted to approve, and were paid for the right away. Then the protests started, over "Saving Water and sacred lands".

    So, are we to believe that for another 4 million dollars, the water and imaginary sacred lands would have been just fine then? Also, the route they are following now to cross the Missouri river follows an ALREADY EXISTING natural gas line that was put in during the 1980s. One that that the tribe is perfectly fine with, and has caused absolutely no problems.

    All of this information is a matter of public record, and has been reported locally but for some reason, the national media has decided to just ignore. But then again, I guess that information might keep the morons that get their information from fucking internet memes from actually understanding what is really happening there.
    So, if it's not going through their land, why are they protesting? It's not affecting them. I'm seriously asking.
    2016 DCC LOTY Fantasy Football Champion

  5. #15
    Senior Member NoDak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    9,281
    Quote Originally Posted by Iamtdg View Post
    So, if it's not going through their land, why are they protesting? It's not affecting them. I'm seriously asking.
    Honestly, who knows any more. A lot of people think it's being pushed by the tribal chairman, Dave Archambault. It started this past summer with rumors of the pipeline crossing sacred lands. Burial grounds. (proven to be false) Stuff like that. And stories of how the tribes water would be affected by the pipeline. Even though the main inlet for the tribes water comes from way further down stream, near the South Dakota border. And this pipeline would be following an existing pipeline that was put in place in the 80s. And would be buried 90' below the river bed. Once the spark was there, the tribe and outside influences fanned the flames a bit, and here we are.

    Also, Archambault owns a convenience store located a few miles from the protest site, and is making a fortune selling gas, propane, food, water, etc... to the protesters. The longer the protest goes, the more money he makes. And he was the driving force in the initial turning down of the offer of 6 million.

    The Sioux elders have already voted to stop the protest. Citing the increasing violence from outside people that have absolutely nothing to do with the Standing Rock reservation or it's people. But when you get idiot "celebrities" like Jesse Jackson and such that show up to make their own dollar, the shit just keeps snowballing.

    Honestly, if this was just about them being concerned for the safety of their drinking water, I could understand that. But that shit is just a long forgotten talking point now, only used as an excuse to keep the riot going, hidden behind the name of "peaceful protest". And even that has been proven time and time again as a false claim. Only used to get all this shit started.

  6. #16
    One-armed Knife Sharpener Iamtdg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    50,039
    Quote Originally Posted by NoDak View Post
    Honestly, who knows any more. A lot of people think it's being pushed by the tribal chairman, Dave Archambault. It started this past summer with rumors of the pipeline crossing sacred lands. Burial grounds. (proven to be false) Stuff like that. And stories of how the tribes water would be affected by the pipeline. Even though the main inlet for the tribes water comes from way further down stream, near the South Dakota border. And this pipeline would be following an existing pipeline that was put in place in the 80s. And would be buried 90' below the river bed. Once the spark was there, the tribe and outside influences fanned the flames a bit, and here we are.

    Also, Archambault owns a convenience store located a few miles from the protest site, and is making a fortune selling gas, propane, food, water, etc... to the protesters. The longer the protest goes, the more money he makes. And he was the driving force in the initial turning down of the offer of 6 million.

    The Sioux elders have already voted to stop the protest. Citing the increasing violence from outside people that have absolutely nothing to do with the Standing Rock reservation or it's people. But when you get idiot "celebrities" like Jesse Jackson and such that show up to make their own dollar, the shit just keeps snowballing.

    Honestly, if this was just about them being concerned for the safety of their drinking water, I could understand that. But that shit is just a long forgotten talking point now, only used as an excuse to keep the riot going, hidden behind the name of "peaceful protest". And even that has been proven time and time again as a false claim. Only used to get all this shit started.
    Jesus Christ, man. Our country may actually be fucked.
    2016 DCC LOTY Fantasy Football Champion

  7. #17
    Senior Member pdom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    17,566
    The fervency of this protest does prove one thing -- Native Americans care less about the name 'Redskins'.

  8. #18
    Senior Member jeebs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    661
    Quote Originally Posted by Iamtdg View Post
    So, if it's not going through their land, why are they protesting? It's not affecting them. I'm seriously asking.
    I think part of it is the worry that any oil spill on the private land would have negative repercussions for the tribal land that it neighbors.

    And I think it is part, fuck the man, he has fucked us in the past, don't trust him and let's chase him out

  9. #19
    Senior Member NoDak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    9,281
    Quote Originally Posted by jeebs View Post
    I think part of it is the worry that any oil spill on the private land would have negative repercussions for the tribal land that it neighbors.

    And I think it is part, fuck the man, he has fucked us in the past, don't trust him and let's chase him out
    They are hiding behind the claim they are 'water protectors'. And that they are fighting to protect mother earth. And that they are peaceful protesters. Yet they are burning tires, cars, garbage, etc... And dumping raw sewage all over the place. Have destroyed millions of dollars worth of construction equipment. Destroyed a bridge on a state highway, making it impassable. Thrown molotov cocktails at police. Shot at police. And each place they leave, they leave all of their trash and debris behind. Makes it pretty hard to believe that they are concerned about protecting the earth. Or their claim of being 'peaceful protestors'.

    But the powers that be are making money by decrying big oil and their desire to rape the land. And their contingent of 'peaceful protesters' are getting to wreck shit, and destroy the land and air while 'saving the water'. So there is that, I guess.

  10. #20
    Senior Member L.T. Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    14,626
    The underlying factor is money. There are probably several factions at play and each has their own money agenda. It's not likely that there are a lot of folks who have innocent reasons to be there although there are always a few that get caught up in some ideology and are will in to join the parade.
    Since Day One

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •