Week 7 Gameday Chatter Thread | Cowboys vs Giants | 10/25/2015

data

Forbes #1
We wouldn't need 30+ points though if we didn't throw pick sixes or give up KO returns. And our defense has forced zero turnovers in 5 of 6 games. Hardy, Gregory, McClain are back and Lee is healthy and we still can't force any TO's. That would definitely help, but today we would've won if we wouldn't have handed them 14 points on returns.
That's the point of it. Our special teams doesn't contribute. Our defense is classically average - good enough to give up FGs but needs an offense to score TDs and not good enough to get turnovers or turn field position.

Romo has to play exemplary to win. When Romo has a bad game once in a while, we have a Haley's Comet chance of winning.

Last edited:

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
It doesn't matter which strategy you were pulling for that could be said. Meaning of we would have hurried and he threw another interception that could be said as well.

Personally I preferred going with the methodical approach and doing what they did best rather than hurry up and ask Cassel to throw. He had several near interceptions to go with the ones he did throw. Now you want him to speed up the game and force the action? It didn't work out but I take my chances on a higher percentage of success.
Wrong. The only thing that makes sense is to give yourself as many chances as possible. Anything else is bad strategy.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
That's the point of it. Our special teams doesn't contribute. Our defense is classically average - good enough to give up FGs but needs an offense to score and not good enough to get turnovers or turn field position.
What's even more amazing about our ST's is instead of drafting the BPA, we often target players in the mid to late rounds specifically for special teams and yet the ST's consistently suck.

data

Forbes #1
When was the last time the Cowboys could win when its QB went 13/24, 170 yards?

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Wrong. The only thing that makes sense is to give yourself as many chances as possible. Anything else is bad strategy.

If we had a competent QB there then I would be all for it but we dont. You have to use what works and not try to make a square peg fit in a round hole.

Last edited:

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Cole Beasley ranks 46th in the league with a 4.3 yard per return average. NFL.com kick return stats

I'm not trying to kick Beasley while he's down but just pointing out how the coaches aren't making the necessary adjustments to steal hidden yardage.

With Romo out we should have a better athlete back there returning punts in order to improve our chances of setting up the offense with favorable field position. Instead we're hell bent on having Captain Fair Catch back there and making these backup QBs drive 80 yards on damn near every series.

I really don't understand why it's so hard for Garrett to consider things like that.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Cole Beasley ranks 46th in the league with a 4.3 yard per return average. NFL.com kick return stats

I'm not trying to kick Beasley while he's down but just pointing out how the coaches aren't making the necessary adjustments to steal hidden yardage.

With Romo out we should have a better athlete back there returning punts in order to improve our chances of setting up the offense with favorable field position. Instead we're hell bent on having Captain Fair Catch back there and making these backup QBs drive 80 yards on damn near every series.

I really don't understand why it's so hard for Garrett to consider things like that.
I've been saying the same thing for awhile. If Whitehead can't do it then cut his ass and sign someone who can do it. Nothing against Whitehead, he did good things today, but he doesn't have much of a role as a WR. If he can't return then there is no point in having him out there.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

I don't get why you're surprised...Garretts whole philosophy is individual players out executing the opposing players. He has always given us zero advantage and isn't going to start now

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I don't get why you're surprised...Garretts whole philosophy is individual players out executing the opposing players. He has always given us zero advantage and isn't going to start now
And the entire coaching staff operates the way he does.

Our coaches put us at a disadvantage each and every week.

Like I said, the worst part is that we're stuck with this crap for at least 2 more years. Garrett gets a free pass from Jerry this year, and even if they suck next year too, he still won't fire him.

It'll take 2 more poor seasons for him to even consider making a coaching change.

I have no earthly idea how the hell everything went so right last year, but it's been clear over the last month that last year was an aberration, and not the team finally getting over the hump as we all hoped.

data

Forbes #1
What was the last game Quincy Carter won?
More for shits & giggles than empirical statistical evidence, but we won 2 games last year scoring <30 points. Every other playoff team had at least 4 victories. The Seahawks had 8.

1bigfan13

Staff member
At least basketball season is here. Watching the Thunder take apart the Spurs Wednesday night will take away the sting of another Cowboys loss.

1bigfan13

Staff member
On the bright side, the OL looked a lot better today.

Funny how inserting our 5 most talented players into the lineup (Collins > Leary) results in the unit's best performance of the year.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
At least basketball season is here. Watching the Thunder take apart the Spurs Wednesday night will take away the sting of another Cowboys loss.
Cowboys losses don't even sting anymore.

I don't care for the losses, but they also don't bother me at all. 10 min after they've lost, and I've already gotten over it.

The 2008-2013 Cowboys taught me to not be as emotionally vested as before, and it's the best decision I've made in regards to this team in my adult life.

But yea, NBA in 2 days! :towel

1bigfan13

Staff member

Does Aikman hate Dez or something?

Seems like he takes every opportunity to take a swipe at him.

It's been like that for a few years. Remember a couple of years ago when Troy & everyone else got their panties in a bunch because they assumed Dez was berating Romo? Then it turned out that Dez was only saying positive things.

Listening to his comments it just seems like there's a personal dislike of Dez.

data

Forbes #1
The Ticket's talking about it...if you look at how we dominated much of the statistical battle:

27 first downs vs 13 (NYG)
460 offensive yards vs 289 yards (NYG)
38 minutes TOP vs 22 min (NYG)

...the only way we could've lost is by having -4 TO ratio and -14 points off returns.

Welpers...that's exactly what happened.

1bigfan13

Staff member
"I'm not sure why Dez is even on his feet."

Uhhh.....he's been practicing and running for a while now and is pain free. That's why he's on his feet.

Top Bottom