Sabin: Results show Garrett's stance on having veteran backup QB is flawed

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Also Jeff Garcia, Trent Green, Marc Bulger, John Kitna, Matt Hasselbeck, Brad Johnson, and Jake Delhomme.
Bill Walsh scouted Garcia from Canada and Green and Kitna for the most part stunk, but good calls on the others.

I'm mainly thinking from the perspective of moving on from an established starter. These guys arose in QB-bleak situations. They got snaps because there was almost no other choice.

townsend

Banned
Bill Walsh scouted Garcia from Canada and Green and Kitna for the most part stunk, but good calls on the others.

I'm mainly thinking from the perspective of moving on from an established starter. These guys arose in QB-bleak situations. They got snaps because there was almost no other choice.
3 of them were also most successful in Martz schemes although Kitna's "success" in Detroit was as part of a horrid 2006 Lions team. Something weird about the early oughts is that reject QBs seemed to take the league by storm. I feel like coaching has 1000% to do with it. Walsh, Martz, Payton, And Holmgren (Brunell also deserves a mention as a late pick) weaved straw into gold, no doubt that every single one of those guys we've mentioned would have ended up flopping 99 times out of 100.

I know you think Harbaugh is overrated but it's stunning what his addition did for Alex Smith, and what his absence has done to Kaepernick.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I know you think Harbaugh is overrated but it's stunning what his addition did for Alex Smith, and what his absence has done to Kaepernick.
He hasn't been absent for long. I think he knew both players are flawed and there isn't much more to be done about it except try and limit what they do wrong.

With the unbelievable talent that team had, simply removing the mistake-prone plays went a long, long way. Adding the pistol and a few unexpected runs from Kap took them to the Superbowl. Then the league caught on. One thing about Hairball, he knew when to GTFO. You can't win without a QB, and Michigan was a-calling.

I hear you RE: the early aughts, and I think the WCO was killing it from the late 1990's to the early 2000's to the point where you literally could put in anyone behind a strong QB guru and defeat most teams.

The Tampa 2 put an end to that though.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I hear you RE: the early aughts, and I think the WCO was killing it from the late 1990's to the early 2000's to the point where you literally could put in anyone behind a strong QB guru and defeat most teams.
It's the only explanation for why a dork like McNabb could be as productive as he was.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
It's the only explanation for why a dork like McNabb could be as productive as he was.
Watching the Tampa2 smash his ass year after year was beautiful, even if it was a team other than Dallas doing the smashing.

data

Forbes #1
Once Romo's gone for good...

We.are.going.to.die.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Or draft someone and get a qb guru
Yes Dallas is going to have to go to the draft to get the next starter at the QB position. Continuing to use the veteran backups who can't start anywhere will not fill the bill. The only other alternative is to trade with some team that has a prospect in their organization but that isn't a real viable approach.

data

Forbes #1
The flaw is how the label 'veteran QB' is applied. Brandon Weeden is a bust, not veteran QB. He didn't have years of success commanding an offense like a Drew Bledsoe or Testaverde.

Now I'd consider brad Johnson a better example of a failed veteran QB, but shit, Weeden is about as veteran QB as Jamarcus Russell is.

Last edited:

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
And we actually traded for one of them.

Isn't that exciting?
As bad as Cassel may be at least we didn't give up a 6th rounder for Josh Scobee. Steelers also gave up a 4th/5th for Boykin who is getting toasted so far this year.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
The flaw is how the label 'veteran QB' is applied. Brandon Weeden is a bust, not veteran QB. He didn't have years of success commanding an offense like a Drew Bledsoe or Testaverde.
Yep. Weeden has more the smell of a Jerry move than anything else. Jones loves him some ex-high round draft picks.

Shit, I'd rather have Michael Vick.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Now I'd consider brad Johnson a better example of a failed veteran QB, but shit, Weeden is about as veteran QB as Jamarcus Russell is.
Yeah Weeden might be physically old but in terms of experience he is still a young QB. Cassel on the other hand is exactly what one would call a veteran QB.

Top Bottom