Ex-NFL exec: Cowboys shouldn't hesitate to draft a QB in first round

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
The point is, the Cowboys had a top-8 grade on Brady Quinn and passed on him because they had Romo. They should not make that decision again. Next time they are picking in the mid-late first and a QB with a top 10 grade rolls around, there should be zero discussion, he should be selected.

The fact that Brady Quinn ended up being a bust is irrelevant because you can't be scared of your grade and that's what Crock is saying, and he's right. Trust your scouts, if they say they have a top prospect grade, and he's available, the time is now (or passed) for the Cowboys to snag one.
How do you trust scouts that had Quinn a top-8 talent yet ignored an all-time talent in Aaron Rodgers the year prior when he was sitting there at pick 20?

Smitty

DCC 4Life
How do you trust scouts that had Quinn a top-8 talent yet ignored an all-time talent in Aaron Rodgers the year prior when he was sitting there at pick 20?
Rodgers was ignored because Parcells was around and in win-now mode. Quinn was ignored because we had Romo. Byron Leftwich was ignored because our front office insisted on giving ex baseball players a shot.

Stupid logic each time and it would have been devastating each time if our team wasn't lucky enough to have Romo. Can't count on luck again. Though Parcells gets credit for identifying and developing a QB while doing it his way, at least.

I wouldn't blame the scouts though, it was the GM who always thought he was set at QB. Well, right now we're not. No more trying to build around Romo, now is the time to draft for the future.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
See, you've nailed the problem.

There's no way a QB can develop unless he gets reps. The reps. With the whole team in both preseason and real game conditions.

And there's no way you can commit those reps to someone you've drafted as an afterthought.

There's no way to test a QB except in live fire.

The only reason we know about Tom Brady and Kurt Warner is because Drew Bledsoe and Trent Green got injured. Neither team had playoff aspirations at the time, so they left their backup slots with young, untested players.

Tony Romo came to the Cowboys specifically because they had no QB and he might actually get a shot.

The position is unlike every other.
Tell that to the Brett Favres, Tom Bradys, etc. The were not getting reps with the first team until they were told to take the field. The are many others that have been understudies for a while before they got their shot. The NFL used to groom their QBs in this manner. They would study behind the starter and carry the clipboard until the time came to step on the field then they were hopefully ready to go.

Jiggyfly

Banned
He's talking in theory, and his logic is correct. What you are saying is that there are no QBs you'd put an elite grade on who will be in this draft.

Seems a bit early to me to be making such statements, but yeah, if you were a Cowboys scout (~snicker~) and said there were no QBs worthy of selection, I'd listen to you.

Then again if I was picking in the 2016 draft at 22 and you told me a QB rated as the 8th best player in the draft was still available, he's my pick.

No more passing on the position because we have Romo. That time is over.
He was not talking in theory he specifically named Conner Cook.

And no its not early, if a QB is not currently rated as a top 10 prospect then most likely he won't ever deserve that ranking, unlike other positions QB's do not move up draft boards leading up to drafts, scouts have a pretty good idea of what they are.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you can't trust your scouts, the problem isn't with taking a QB or not taking a QB. The problem is you need better scouts.

It's way too early for me to have strong opinions on specific QBs in this draft class. Hell we are barely past the cake schedule part of the college football season. 8 or 9 games from now I'll discuss if I think any QBs are worth a top 15 pick by the Cowboys. But if we have one rated in the top 15 prospects, we should take him if he is still available.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
My point was in this draft there is not 1 Roethlisberger, so no I would not be ok taking a Conner Cook at 11 if there is a better prospect there.
Totally off topic, but what's not to like about Connor Cook? I watch plenty of Big Ten football and he plays in a system that prepares him for the pros, puts up great numbers and has the physical attributes you want in a QB.

Now Christian Hackenberg, no thanks.

Carp

DCC 4Life
We should be in prime position to snag a strong prospect.
If you think we are getting Goff or Cook I just don't see it. Those are who I would legitimately say are strong prospects.

Carp

DCC 4Life

And no its not early, if a QB is not currently rated as a top 10 prospect then most likely he won't ever deserve that ranking, unlike other positions QB's do not move up draft boards leading up to drafts, scouts have a pretty good idea of what they are.
Geno Smith and Jimmy Clausen say hello.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The point is, the Cowboys had a top-8 grade on Brady Quinn and passed on him because they had Romo. They should not make that decision again. Next time they are picking in the mid-late first and a QB with a top 10 grade rolls around, there should be zero discussion, he should be selected.
Uh, using Brady Quinn is not exactly the best way to make your point.

townsend

Banned
Apart from Rodgers, what QBs have we passed on that would have turned into anything? I know passing on Manziel was probably the best thing we ever did. Unless we have a QB draft as deep as 2004 again, I don't know if.a quality QB ever makes it to Dallas's pick.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

Bortles wasn't on anybody's radar going into the season 2 years ago, they aren't always there.

At any rate, I just don't see the options being there at QB this year assuming we are picking somewhere around 15-25. We'll see what happens with some of these guys but generally speaking I think we're going to have to wait for one of two things to happen, 1. we have a year where we completely suck and get a top 5-10 pick in a good QB year or 2. a guy unexpectedly falls, we take a chance and make a move for them, this option would probably necessitate a trade up into the back end of the 1st/top of the 2nd, like a Teddy Bridgewater situation.

I just don't think it's likely that we end up in a situation where some great QB prospect drops into our laps in the 15-25 range.

Personally, I'm hoping we can find some way to land Kyle Allen in the 2017 draft but it looks like he's destined to be a top 5-10 pick.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
If you think we are getting Goff or Cook I just don't see it. Those are who I would legitimately say are strong prospects.
Goff is better than Cook IMO. I don't want a thing to do with Hackenberg, far too many mechanical issues that have to be corrected and we don't have the QB coach that can do that.

I would rather look at guys like Jacoby Brissett or Carson Wentz, both of whom are not likely to be first round guys.

Patrick Towles of Kentucky, if he declares, looks very interesting.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Connor Cook is widely known as a top 10 talent right now. That's why I named him.

dallen

Senior Tech
If we are out of playoff contention by the time Romo is ready to come back do you leave him on the IR and hope to get a better pick? It'd be tempting

Jiggyfly

Banned
Totally off topic, but what's not to like about Connor Cook? I watch plenty of Big Ten football and he plays in a system that prepares him for the pros, puts up great numbers and has the physical attributes you want in a QB.

Now Christian Hackenberg, no thanks.
There is nothing special about Cook IMO, they don't ask him to do a lot he is kind of a bus driver.

Don't hate him I just don't think he is special.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
They're not gonna do that until Romo is nearing the absolute end. Until then, the highest priority is surrounding him with the most talent to reach/win a Super Bowl. That means drafting a RB, CB, WR or S, not a guy who will be holding a clipboard.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
If we are out of playoff contention by the time Romo is ready to come back do you leave him on the IR and hope to get a better pick? It'd be tempting
If we are 2-7 I would definitely do it, probably at 3-6 as well depending on what the rest of the division is looking like. 4-5 or 5-4 when he comes back and I think we would be the favorites for the division.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Bortles wasn't on anybody's radar going into the season 2 years ago, they aren't always there.

At any rate, I just don't see the options being there at QB this year assuming we are picking somewhere around 15-25. We'll see what happens with some of these guys but generally speaking I think we're going to have to wait for one of two things to happen, 1. we have a year where we completely suck and get a top 5-10 pick in a good QB year or 2. a guy unexpectedly falls, we take a chance and make a move for them, this option would probably necessitate a trade up into the back end of the 1st/top of the 2nd, like a Teddy Bridgewater situation.

I just don't think it's likely that we end up in a situation where some great QB prospect drops into our laps in the 15-25 range.

Personally, I'm hoping we can find some way to land Kyle Allen in the 2017 draft but it looks like he's destined to be a top 5-10 pick.
You could be right about Bortles but he was getting buz by this time in the season, I guess you could say the same about Goff.

But it still makes my point is that neither of those guys would be available after 10.

Not sold on Allen yet and I watch him every week, he does not challenge all levels of the field and is not that accurate.

A&M has 4 draftanle WR prospects with 2 possible 1st rounders he is not getting the most out of that talent IMO.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
You could be right about Bortles but he was getting buz by this time in the season, I guess you could say the same about Goff.

But it still makes my point is that neither of those guys would be available after 10.

Not sold on Allen yet and I watch him every week, he does not challenge all levels of the field and is not that accurate.

A&M has 4 draftanle WR prospects with 2 possible 1st rounders he is not getting the most out of that talent IMO.
He's also 3 games into his true sophomore season and already shows traits that are rare for college QB's in terms of pressing up in the pocket and showing a knack for avoiding the rush while still looking to make plays downfield, not to mention a very strong arm and good size.

Still early, but we'll see.

Top Bottom