Emmitt Smith: What I saw from Ezekiel Elliott's debut

Jiggyfly

Banned
Emmitt Smith: What I saw from Ezekiel Elliott's debut; what Cowboys coaches can do to help RB succeed

Question: What'd you see from Zeke [Ezekiel Elliott] in Game 1? What caught Emmitt's eye?

Emmitt Smith: What caught my eye is the simple fact that he was hitting the hole very hard, and there is nothing wrong with that. I just think he was trying to hit it too hard. I think the excitement of being in his first NFL actual official game maybe gotten the best of him a little bit. He may have missed a couple cuts here and there. But I think in time as he get more acquainted to the offense, and get more acquainted with the speed of the game, and the style of the game, and start to really understand how defenses are trying to defend the Cowboys' running attack I think he'll be fine.

I would like to see them do a lot more of the neutral position vs. off the offset position so you can truly get a feel how his vision really works within the scheme of the offense. Sometimes being neutral behind the quarterback gives you a chance to set up the defense and get them to overflow, and you get the big cuts and you get the outside bounces and so forth. You get the two-way cuts. Put him offset kind of limits his ability.

Question: How challenging will it be for him to change and be a little more patient when he's hitting the hole?

Emmitt Smith: I think it's going to come. I think where at now in the game is still moving fast in his mind. Once he gets comfortable with the speed of the game; because you got to think about it. He missed part of training camp. He didn't play in a whole lot of preseason games. Now he's at the threshold of playing. Everything is full throttle now. Making that adjustment is not going to be a big adjustment for a running back. I don't think so. I think he has the ability to do that. I just think you need to allow him to give him the two-way go. Don't create the trap plays to where he's limited to only one direction.

Question: I like that. You're questioning Scott Linehan just like we've been doing it all week.

Emmitt Smith: Well I don't know if I'm questioning the guy. But I'm saying give him a little more than just offset plays. Give him the chance to come downhill a little bit and press the zone. Because this is zone blocking. Give him the two-way go. Give him the ability to allow his ability to see the entire field and allow his instincts to start to work to his advantage.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Yea, we don't need to run the Ohio St. offense with this guy, put Prescott under center, line Elliott up behind him and let him go to work. They can't be giving this guy 15 handoffs a game lined up next to the QB in the shotgun.

Top Bottom