Machota - Elliott: 'I got to work on pressing my landmarks and being more patient'

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Ezekiel Elliott: 'I got to work on pressing my landmarks and being more patient'

By Jon Machota , Staff Writer Contact Jon Machota on Twitter: @jonmachota

FRISCO -- Although there wasn't much running room Sunday afternoon, Ezekiel Elliott acknowledges he could have been a little more patient on some of his rushing attempts.

Elliott ran the ball 20 times for 51 yards. His longest gain came on an eight-yard touchdown run early in the third quarter.

"I think I got to work on pressing my landmarks and being more patient," Elliott said Wednesday. "I think I got a little bit impatient. I just got to realize that some games, you're only going to get those 2, 3, 4 dirty-yard, dirty runs and you're not always going to get those big, big hitters."

Elliott missed most of training camp and the first two preseason games because of a strained right hamstring. He said that missed time "could have been a factor" in why he didn't have more success in Week 1.

After the 20-19 loss to the New York Giants, Elliott called his rookie debut average. On Wednesday, he couldn't recall anything he did really well.

"I mean, I had a couple of good runs," he said. "Their defensive line played a good game. I did a good job I'd say sometimes of turning a nothing into a one- or two-yard gain and making sure they weren't negative yards. I mean, that's about it.

"I've just got to be more honed, got to be more focused, got to be more disciplined and just focus on the little things."

Elliott pointed out that he got off to a slow start during his college career.

He rushed for two yards on one carry in Ohio State's 2013 season opener his freshman season. The next game, Elliott managed 36 yards on six carries. He didn't play in the Buckeyes' third game. But in the fourth, a 76-0 win over Florida A&M, Elliott went for 162 yards and two touchdowns on 14 carries.

"By the third game," Elliott said, "I was rolling."
----------------

Willing to give him a temp pass.

He's been given the Jerry Jones Golden Ticket. He misses most of the preseason.

He also had some bad blocking, a lot of it sloppy.

Top Bottom