Video Game Chatter

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Picked up Madden today.

Yeah, they are back to the idiotic music again.

And this is definitely a gimmick year.

This year, trick catches by WRs so you too can be like Beckham.
Thanks for saving me $60.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Thanks for saving me $60.
Yeah, it's definitely a mail-in from EA so far.

This is basically the "hit stick" all over again, except now you are making one handed catches and uncontested jump ball grabs at the drop of a hat.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
My God.

The more I get into the game the more the music fucking drives me insane.

This is the shit playing on a pause screen.

Are you fucking kidding me?

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
My God.

The more I get into the game the more the music fucking drives me insane.

This is the shit playing on a pause screen.

Are you fucking kidding me?
:lol

Electronic dance music in Madden? WTF?

Still, just go turn the music off, old man.

As for the gameplay, are you giving it a thumbs down? I was afraid that the new catch features would be overpowered.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
:lol

Electronic dance music in Madden? WTF?

Still, just go turn the music off, old man.

As for the gameplay, are you giving it a thumbs down? I was afraid that the new catch features would be overpowered.
I do remember some of the older versions having great sound tracks. I'll be buying it tonight probably and I'll let everyone know what I think of the game play.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
After a few online games, I can tell I hate, I mean HATE this game unlike any other edition of Madden ever.

Fuck it, I might just trade it now.

First, you can't even pick your online opponent from quick play...if there is a way otherwise let me know.

And GAWDDAMN, this game is so cheese worthy.

I mean, Calvin Johnson run a streak? You get a one handed grab for a TD.

And hell, Odell Beckham? Ever fucking catch is one handed.

Even playing with Dez Bryant is asinine. He's jumping up in the air, getting flipped upside down.

It is just arcade like embarrassing.

Oh, BTW, the soundtrack sucks out loud.

Especially when I get to see a retarded looking version of Beckham leap through space.

Awful. Awful.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
It's beyond hoping it will get better. I don't even bother anymore. I used to think that maybe they were stuck in a rut so I would hope every year that they figured it out.

Now I realize that slow-responding menus (which basically means you are sitting around waiting for saving/loading for literally half the time you spend in menus... which is a lot of the time if you want to do the GM stuff), stale gameplay, and few if any upgrades to graphics, models, textures, and physics are all part of the plan. They aren't stuck in the rut, they positioned themselves there.

They WANT to give the same experience to everyone, every year, because the idiots keep lapping it up. Actually changing (by improving) the product would create something that the Madden fanbase is unfamiliar with, but it's become such an industry and such an e-sport that any major changes would be rejected by the community because they wouldn't be able to pick up where they left off last year. It's like Call of Duty, they put out the same crap every year, I stopped playing that as well.

Once it becomes a mainstream phenomenon, forget it. Gameplay will get stale quickly, the changes are all likely to be annoying rather than innovative and exciting, and the lowest common denominator (which is the majority, sadly) will continue to shell out $60 bucks for it thereby ensuring more sophisticated consumers will never get anything that appeals to them ever again.

D

Deuce

Last years version wasn't so bad and seemed improved over previous years. But as soon as some exciting new player gets put on their cover, they overdo it for the idiots. Same when they made the spin move from Barry Sanders and the truck stick from AP i
untacklable.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Well, this settles it for me then. I guess I won't be getting Madden.

I did get Batman Arkham Knight last week and it is excellent.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
After a few online games, I can tell I hate, I mean HATE this game unlike any other edition of Madden ever.

Fuck it, I might just trade it now.

First, you can't even pick your online opponent from quick play...if there is a way otherwise let me know.

And GAWDDAMN, this game is so cheese worthy.

I mean, Calvin Johnson run a streak? You get a one handed grab for a TD.

And hell, Odell Beckham? Ever fucking catch is one handed.

Even playing with Dez Bryant is asinine. He's jumping up in the air, getting flipped upside down.

It is just arcade like embarrassing.

Oh, BTW, the soundtrack sucks out loud.

Especially when I get to see a retarded looking version of Beckham leap through space.

Awful. Awful.
Reading all of this makes me wonder if we'd see all these ridiculous catches had Gronk won the Madden cover contest.

Beckham makes one lucky, one-handed catch and EA devotes an entire game to that one catch. What a joke.

They act as if Beckham was reeling in circus catches week after week. I definitely won't be wasting $60 on this game.

dallen

Senior Tech
My 10 year old son brought up wanting to play Call of Duty last night at dinner. The only CoD I've ever played is a little bit of the start of Modern Warfare so I'm not too familiar with how realistic it is. I think he is bringing it up because he has friends at school that play it. I'm not the kind of parent that just lets him do whatever other parents let their kids do, but I try not to say no without a good reason. What do you guys think is an appropriate age for something like that?

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
My 10 year old son brought up wanting to play Call of Duty last night at dinner. The only CoD I've ever played is a little bit of the start of Modern Warfare so I'm not too familiar with how realistic it is. I think he is bringing it up because he has friends at school that play it. I'm not the kind of parent that just lets him do whatever other parents let their kids do, but I try not to say no without a good reason. What do you guys think is an appropriate age for something like that?
Great question.

My son is 16. When he was 10, I didn't have a problem with him playing games with violence so long as it wasn't over the top, head splitting open type stuff.

Also, I wouldn't let him play that game if it had vulgar language, and COD games definitely have them during the story mode.

When he was 10, I remember him watching Rambo: First Blood with me. I personally don't think its that big of a deal. If you raise your kids right way and explain things to them, you don't have to worry about the effects that a little violent scene might have on them.

Now, a movie like The Departed or Saw at that age? Absolutely not. Playing a game like GTA as a child? No chance in hell.

I saw Die Hard with my dad when I was 10, and I never thought killing was cool nor did I want to immediately go out and get a gun. It all comes down to how your raise your kids, the examples they see on a daily basis, and the values you instill in them.

Playing a video game where soldiers get shot isn't going to change that. Like I said, the key thing for me was how that violence was presented and what other violent and/or vulgar aspects are reflected in that game/movie.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well, this settles it for me then. I guess I won't be getting Madden.

I did get Batman Arkham Knight last week and it is excellent.
Just in case anyone was curious for another opinion on Madden. I don't mind the game play at all. There are some ridiculous looking catches but it's not like there aren't incomplete passes either. I've been playing Ultimate Team and I have to say I really enjoy it this year. Probably even more then I've enjoyed Dynasty mode in recent history.

The big problem I have with Madden though is the load times. My god, every other screen I feel myself mashing buttons on the key pad in hopes that it will go faster. It's not just starting a game either. It's like the screens on your way to get to a game too. Where there really shouldn't be any slow loads but there is. Makes me want to bash my head in a wall sometimes.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Oh, and another reason why I wasn't overly protective about that stuff is because no matter how much you try to shield them from it - especially in the digital sge we live in now where kids have cell phones - they are going to see it and hear about every single day they are at school.

That doesn't mean "Well, his classmates keep showing him pics of girls in thongs, so I might as well let him watch sexually explicit stuff because he's gonna see it anyway" - no, that's not what that means.

I just feel that you should explain to your kids why certain things happen and why certain forms of entertainment exist, and it's best if they are exposed to some if this stuff by you first then by some snot nosed punk with no discipline.

The best approach in my mind is to set the ground rules very early on as to what is and isn't acceptable in your home and what you expect from them in situations where they'll be exposed to things that they know you do not approve of.

Do that, and I think your kids will be ok even if the bad apples try to corrupt them.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
BTW, Metal Gear Solid V is one of the greatest games I have ever played.

What a work of excellence.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
A good way to go out for Kojima and Konami.
This game is so good that I cannot believed Kojima or Konani would want to end it.

From the way they've been conducting business over the past year, it looks more like a Konami decision.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
Great question.

My son is 16. When he was 10, I didn't have a problem with him playing games with violence so long as it wasn't over the top, head splitting open type stuff.

Also, I wouldn't let him play that game if it had vulgar language, and COD games definitely have them during the story mode.

When he was 10, I remember him watching Rambo: First Blood with me. I personally don't think its that big of a deal. If you raise your kids right way and explain things to them, you don't have to worry about the effects that a little violent scene might have on them.

Now, a movie like The Departed or Saw at that age? Absolutely not. Playing a game like GTA as a child? No chance in hell.

I saw Die Hard with my dad when I was 10, and I never thought killing was cool nor did I want to immediately go out and get a gun. It all comes down to how your raise your kids, the examples they see on a daily basis, and the values you instill in them.

Playing a video game where soldiers get shot isn't going to change that. Like I said, the key thing for me was how that violence was presented and what other violent and/or vulgar aspects are reflected in that game/movie.
My Dad took me to see Dirty Harry when my Mom was visiting her sister. Best Dad movie memory as a kid until I took him to see American Sniper.

Top Bottom