George: Is now the time to prepare for eventuality of football without Witten?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Dallas Cowboys free agent series: Is now the time to prepare for eventuality of football without ironman TE Jason Witten?

By Brandon George , Staff Writer Contact Brandon George on Twitter: @DMN_George

This much we know: Jason Witten isn't coming off the field.

The Cowboys tight end has played in a franchise-record 203 consecutive games, rarely misses a snap and is as reliable as the setting sun.

Witten's versatility and reliability leave other Cowboys tight ends with limited chances. But that doesn't mean the Cowboys can't use some help at the position when the free-agency period opens Wednesday.

This might be hard to believe, but Witten won't be around forever. He's 33 and will play in his 14th NFL season in 2016. He has only two years left on his contract.

Just like with quarterback Tony Romo, the Cowboys have to start formulating a plan about who replaces Witten when he decides to retire.

But before the Cowboys even start to work on their post-Witten plan, they need to build some depth behind the Pro Bowler. That hasn't proved an easy task.

The Cowboys drafted tight end Gavin Escobar in the second round in 2013 (47th overall ) out of San Diego State with hopes he would develop into a vertical threat in the passing game. Instead, Escobar has never reached double digits in receptions in a season.

Escobar enters the final year of his rookie contract needing a big season to stick around Dallas. But he's likely to start the season on the physically unable to perform list while recovering from a torn Achilles he suffered in the final game of 2015.

Cowboys No. 2 tight end James Hanna, a sixth-round pick in 2012 out of Oklahoma, will be an unrestricted free agent this offseason. Hanna is undervalued with the Cowboys. His strength out of college was his pass-catching ability, but he's developed into a very good run-blocker, and he's a solid special teams player.

The Cowboys are expected to try to re-sign Hanna, but his price could reach a level Dallas isn't comfortable with because of a thin tight end free-agent market coupled with teams' deep pockets in salary-cap space this offseason.

Geoff Swaim, a seventh-round pick last year out of Texas, was used sparingly by the Cowboys as a rookie. He could see more playing time in his second year if the Cowboys don't pursue a veteran tight end in free agency.

On the roster

Player Age Yrs left Player Age Yrs left

Gavin Escobar 25 1 Geoff Swaim 22 3
James Hanna* 26 0 Jason Witten 33 2

•Unrestricted free agent

Possible targets

Player Team Comment

Scott Chandler New England He's 30 and shouldn't cost much for a return home. ... Former Cowboys TE played at Southlake Carroll High.
Jared Cook St. Louis/LA He's about to turn 29 and made 12 starts last year for Rams, catching 39 passes for 481 yards.
John Phillips San Diego 28-year-old solid run blocker spent his first four seasons with Cowboys before leaving for Chargers.

Over the last three seasons, Witten has redefined his game some as the Cowboys have asked him to block more, and he's been as consistent as ever. Witten finished last season with 77 catches for 713 yards and three touchdowns. The Cowboys' other three tight ends combined for only 18 receptions for 143 yards and one touchdown. Last year, Witten became the 12th player in NFL history to reach 1,000 career receptions and only the second tight end to accomplish the milestone.

Bottom line

With Hanna possibly on his way out and Escobar on the mend, the Cowboys will need to address their tight end position either in free agency or -- more likely -- the draft in late April. The plan for the Cowboys in free agency could be just to re-sign Hanna and then turn to the draft for a mid-round option at tight end. But the price has to be right for the Cowboys to re-sign Hanna. Escobar could be playing in his final season in Dallas in 2016. He hasn't developed after the Cowboys made a big investment in him and now has to recover from major surgery.

---------------

Makes sense.

Romo has like five years left.

OMG Witten, gotta prepare for his absence!

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If we use a top 4 round draft pick on a TE again I'm breaking shit. We traded up last year to get a damn TE in the seventh. Use him and move on.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
If we use a top 4 round draft pick on a TE again I'm breaking shit. We traded up last year to get a damn TE in the seventh. Use him and move on.
I have a feeling that if they pass on a QB they will go with a LBer or Corner.

Last edited:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a feeling that if they pass on a QB they will go with a LB Dr or Corner.
Yeah, I'm not just talking first round. I'm talking second, third and fourth. TE is like the least of our worries.

I'm fairly certain this will be a defense heavy draft. Jerry has made it pretty clear that he is concerned about the defense. I just hope we don't find a way to waste a high pick something stupid like a TE.

data

Forbes #1
He can do whatever he wants with them after shoving them up his ass.
Speaking of prison wallet, Tarantino should've done a spin-off movie just based off Walken's pocketwatch story.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Romo has surgery every other offseason, is coming off a season where he broke the same bone twice and only started/finished 2 games all year?

QB is the most important position in the sport?

Feh, Dak Prescott, something something.

But God forbid something happens to Jason Witten who hasn't missed a game since I was about 15, better trade back up into the 1st for Hunter Henry.

dallen

Senior Tech
Romo has surgery every other offseason, is coming off a season where he broke the same bone twice and only started/finished 2 games all year?

QB is the most important position in the sport?

Feh, Dak Prescott, something something.

But God forbid something happens to Jason Witten who hasn't missed a game since I was about 15, better trade back up into the 1st for Hunter Henry.
I like the way you think

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Jason Witten isn't even quite 34 yet. He has another 6-7 years left. It's not a damn debate!

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jason Witten isn't even quite 34 yet. He has another 6-7 years left. It's not a damn debate!
The funny thing with Witten is I could actually see him going another 5 years. His game is based on technique and great routes. He never gets hurt or plays through it. I think he could hang around a long time as a really good blocker and solid receiving TE.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
The funny thing with Witten is I could actually see him going another 5 years. His game is based on technique and great routes. He never gets hurt or plays through it. I think he could hang around a long time as a really good blocker and solid receiving TE.
He probably can be a solid player for the next 4-5 years but his years as a real impact player are waning. His skill set and work ethic/drive will probably keep him relevant for at least another few seasons.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
It would be beyond stupid to take a TE high as long as we have a coach who doesn't have the stones to ever take Witten off the field, even if he has to use a walker.

I mean, "Witt" would get mad at him then. And we can't have that.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I remember being thrilled when he fell to Dallas in the draft after watching him in college. I remember a couple of seasons when it became clear how good he was, thinking "Man, I'm glad he's so young, he should be around for awhile." Fast forward a decade and that discussion does need to be had before long . I do think he probably has a good 4, 5 years left but that's assuming he wants to play that long. He's married with 3 or 4 kids and with the recent trend towards players hanging them up early, who knows? Another part of me thinks that he wants that ring and it would be almost criminal if a player of his caliber retired without one.

That said, I don't think it's a necessity this year but almost definitely in the next couple of years.

Top Bottom