The way I saw it: Cowboys-Giants week 1

Jiggyfly

Banned
I am going to try and give an overview of things I saw while watching the game on replay.

I will most likely be focusing on O-line and D-line play while adding other things that stood out.

1. Of course the running game and play of the O-line was the number 1 topic of the offseason and in this game.
The one thing that stood out was that the O-line had trouble getting those second level and backside blocks that caused so many runs to break last year.

I noticed Leary, Martin and Frederick have trouble reaching that LB or backside lineman who eventually made the tackle, I don't know if this is a lack of cohesion or are teams just reading these plays better causing the block to be a harder reach. Something to keep an eye on moving forward.

We seemed to block well on the combo straight ahead stuff and the outside stretch but even then there was a lot of backside traffic stopping the long runs.

2. Another issue with the running game was the blocking of the receivers on those plays where Harris served as a kind of H-back Williams, Whitehead and Street all failed to get blocks and their men blew up or cut short running lanes for the backs. This could be a big issue moving forward and another reason Harris will be missed.

3. Watching the game I was as disappointed as everyone by what I saw as pedestrian running by Randle but on review I have to say he was not bad and got much better as the game went on. He started off very tentative and missed some holes by trying to hit the cut back but around his 3rd series he was decisive and ran through a number of tackles for some tough yards, he had no negative runs the entire game.

I am still wondering if he could be a plus as a lead back and I am leaning no, but he was a plus runner in this game and did much more positive than Mcfadden who is great running in space but is not yet as patient as he needs to be, he missed a nice hole by rushing and tripped over Frederick.

I think both Randle and Mcfadden both need time to get insync with this line and we will not see there best until later in the season after some games and film study.

Dunbar was much better in blitz pickup, Randle got his man but he was not delivering a strike like Dunbar was he just got in the way, they used Witten a lot as a blitz protector.

It will be interesting to see what Michaels brings but those gaping holes that were there last year did not show up Sunday night and IMO for the most part the backs got what was there.

3. I was also disappointed by the production of Lawrence but on review I noticed he was chipped by the RB on 5 different occasions and was chipped twice by the TE in other words they paid a lot of attention to him and left the other DE one on one most of the time.

He did have a couple of nice rushes in obvious passing situations and caused 2 errant throws from Eli, but he was not as dominant against a player like Newhouse as I thought he should be.

4.Gregory looked great before the injury the refs missed several obvious holds against him and others and if Eli had went to more 5 and 7 step drops he would have had several sacks, He will be missed big time.

5. Was surprised on rewatch to see Jones playing so much, he was singled up on the TE as a kind of safety/LB.
This will be something to watch as we play better TE's down the line.

Did not notice much of White on the field but did not really hone in on the secondary but I did notice they seemed to play with a lot of confidence , not a lot of chasing going on.

6. We played a lot with only 2 LB's on the field, Lee and Hitchens, they both played well but Lee especially turned it up in the 4th.

I am interested to see how this changes when McClain comes back I think him and Lee are the best against the run, Hitchens is very active but does not take on blocks very well.

7. We will have to do something in the running game to offset the blocking we got from Harris in those slot spots, nobody was able to get a good block from there Sunday and Whitehead was simply destroyed a couple of times.

We also will probably need to start runing some reverse action on those stretch plays that backside DE was crashing hard and those cut back lanes were not there.

Anyway thats all I got.

Please be gentle.:lol

Last edited:

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I am going to try and give an overview of things I saw while watching the game on replay.

I will most likely be focusing on O-line and D-line play while adding other things that stood out.

1. Of course the running game and play of the O-line was the number 1 topic of the offseason and in this game.
The one thing that stood out was that the O-line had trouble getting those second level and backside blocks that caused so many runs to break last year.

I noticed Leary, Martin and Frederick have trouble reaching that LB or backside lineman who eventually made the tackle, I don't know if this is a lack of cohesion or are teams just reading these plays better causing the block to be a harder reach. Something to keep an eye on moving forward.

We seemed to block well on the combo straight ahead stuff and the outside stretch but even then there was a lot of backside traffic stopping the long runs.

2. Another issue with the running game was the blocking of the receivers on those plays where Harris served as a kind of H-back Williams, Whitehead and Street all failed to get blocks and their men blew up or cut short running lanes for the backs. This could be a big issue moving forward and another reason Harris will be missed.

3. Watching the game I was as disappointed as everyone by what I saw as pedestrian running by Randle but on review I have to say he was not bad and got much better as the game went on. He started off very tentative and missed some holes by trying to hit the cut back but around his 3rd series he was decisive and ran through a number of tackles for some tough yards, he had no negative runs the entire game.

I am still wondering if he could be a plus as a lead back and I am leaning no, but he was a plus runner in this game and did much more positive than Mcfadden who is great running in space but is not yet as patient as he needs to be, he missed a nice hole by rushing and tripped over Frederick.

I think both Randle and Mcfadden both need time to get insync with this line and we will not see there best until later in the season after some games and film study.

Dunbar was much better in blitz pickup, Randle got his man but he was not delivering a strike like Dunbar was he just got in the way, they used Witten a lot as a blitz protector.

It will be interesting to see what Michaels brings but those gaping holes that were there last year did not show up Sunday night and IMO for the most part the backs got what was there.

3. I was also disappointed by the production of Lawrence but on review I noticed he was chipped by the RB on 5 different occasions and was chipped twice by the TE in other words they paid a lot of attention to him and left the other DE one on one most of the time.

He did have a couple of nice rushes in obvious passing situations and caused 2 errant throws from Eli, but he was not as dominant against a player like Newhouse as I thought he should be.

4.Gregory looked great before the injury the refs missed several obvious holds against him and others and if Eli had went to more 5 and 7 step drops he would have had several sacks, He will be missed big time.

5. Was surprised on rewatch to see Jones playing so much, he was singled up on the TE as a kind of safety/LB.
This will be something to watch as we play better TE's down the line.

Did not notice much of White on the field but did not really hone in on the secondary but I did notice they seemed to play with a lot of confidence , not a lot of chasing going on.

6. We played a lot with only 2 LB's on the field, Lee and Hitchens, they both played well but Lee especially turned it up in the 4th.

I am interested to see how this changes when McClain comes back I think him and Lee are the best against the run, Hitchens is very active but does not take on blocks very well.

7. We will have to do something in the running game to offset the blocking we got from Harris in those slot spots, nobody was able to get a good block from there Sunday and Whitehead was simply destroyed a couple of times.

We also will probably need to start runing some reverse action on those stretch plays that backside DE was crashing hard and those cut back lanes were not there.

Anyway thats all I got.

Please be gentle.:lol
Totally agree about the run blocking breaking down.

townsend

Banned
Good breakdown. The one thing I can say about this game that's intensively negative is that it could have absolutely been the opener from 2010. Absent a holding call on Alex Barron.

There's something to be said about luck. But there was a moment when I saw how bad we had screwed up the last two minutes of the 1st half that I had visions of Tashard Choice.

We absolutely came out indisciplined and there's no better indication by the dumb turnovers and penalties. For all the "one day at a time" shut we keep hearing, this team looked complacent and self assured, and fuck Mincey for managing to out shit talked by a fucking rookie.

Tony and the get along gang (along with Eli) did a great job covering the team's sins. But if guys keep bobbling passes like Martellus Bennett, we're gonna have a long season.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Good write up. Can't say I disagree with any of it, but I will add that we need to stick with those short passes to our backs, and not try to make them into something that they are not. If we can continue to do that consistently and get the damn ball down the field on occasion, we won't miss Murray a lick.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good breakdown. The one thing I can say about this game that's intensively negative is that it could have absolutely been the opener from 2010. Absent a holding call on Alex Barron.

There's something to be said about luck. But there was a moment when I saw how bad we had screwed up the last two minutes of the 1st half that I had visions of Tashard Choice.

We absolutely came out indisciplined and there's no better indication by the dumb turnovers and penalties. For all the "one day at a time" shut we keep hearing, this team looked complacent and self assured, and fuck Mincey for managing to out shit talked by a fucking rookie.

Tony and the get along gang (along with Eli) did a great job covering the team's sins. But if guys keep bobbling passes like Martellus Bennett, we're gonna have a long season.
We couldn't hold onto the ball at all for some reason. I don't know if the balls were slick or what but the drops and fumbles were out of hand during that game.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Good write up. Can't say I disagree with any of it, but I will add that we need to stick with those short passes to our backs, and not try to make them into something that they are not. If we can continue to do that consistently and get the damn ball down the field on occasion, we won't miss Murray a lick.
This is the 1st time the RB pass was not treated as an afterthought it was game planned in.

I think we were a little too cute in the 1st half it was effective but it was not establishing anything to lean on.

Booze was right we did not attack their weaknesses it was like we were trying to get through a play sheet.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Good observations. Can't disagree with any of them.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I noticed this as well. I'm not sure what some others were looking at when they were complaining about him getting ZERO yards after contact. I saw him breaking tackles and putting up good yardage after contact.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Something I left out that was interesting as well, we did not do as much rotating on the D-line as last year.

Crawford, Lawrence, Mincy and Hayden all played over 60% of the snaps I expected to see more rotation from the DT's.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Something I left out that was interesting as well, we did not do as much rotating on the D-line as last year.

Crawford, Lawrence, Mincy and Hayden all played over 60% of the snaps I expected to see more rotation from the DT's.
I think that was due to the Giants playing with more pace. Therefore the Cowboys weren't able to rotate as much as they normally would.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I think that was due to the Giants playing with more pace. Therefore the Cowboys weren't able to rotate as much as they normally would.
That won't stop this week versus Philly.

I hope that we don't see much of Hayden, because if they trap us with him on the field, it will get ugly.

We just need to start with nickel on every drive, with our fastest and strongest.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

Now you are pushing it....

Jiggyfly

Banned
That won't stop this week versus Philly.

I hope that we don't see much of Hayden, because if they trap us with him on the field, it will get ugly.

We just need to start with nickel on every drive, with our fastest and strongest.
Yeah I really want to see Coleman get some nickel snaps, with Gregory out Mincy will not be kicking down.

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
and fuck Mincey for managing to out shit talked by a fucking rookie.
I was talking to my brother (a Giants' fan) yesterday and after he got done ranting about how much he lothes Jason Witten, he did point out that the penalty on Mincey did stop the clock (saving us a timeout), and allowed us to rotate on defence.

Last edited:

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I was talking to my brother (a Giants' fan) yesterday and after he got done ranting about how much he lothes Jason Witten, he did point out that the penalty on Mincey did stop the clock (saving us a timeout), and allowed us to rotate on defence.
We were also offsides a couple plays later on the OBJ completion and while they did decline the penalty it stopped the clock too

1bigfan13

Staff member
Could be but that's usually when they rotate more.
Not when the Giants are hustling to the line running a no huddle style offense, which they were for a good portion of the night.

There's no time for substitutions when teams are doing that.

Top Bottom