Archer: Jason Pierre-Paul injury could impact Cowboys

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jason Pierre-Paul injury could impact Cowboys

June, 4, 2013

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas – The Cowboys’ season opener isn’t until Sept. 8, but they received some favorable news Tuesday when it was learned that New York Giants defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul would need surgery on his back.

Pierre-Paul has four sacks, an interception that he returned for a touchdown, a forced fumble and two pass deflections in six games against the Cowboys.

According to ESPN’s Adam Schefter, sources believe Pierre-Paul will be healthy to play against the Cowboys, but if he indeed returns it would come without the benefit of much of an offseason, training camp or preseason games.

Last year Hakeem Nicks missed most of the offseason, training camp and preseason games because of foot surgery. He played in the season opener against the Cowboys but was not a factor, catching four passes for 38 yards. The Cowboys won, 24-17.

With another key component of the Giants squad coming off injury this year, the Cowboys could benefit again.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
JPP has been fat and happy since he won the Superbowl. Outside of a gift TD from Romo he did exactly jack shat last year with no excuses, just like I thought would happen.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Remember that debate over whether Pierre-Paul was in Ware's class or not?

~snicker~

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I said the evidence was that he was in Ware's class "at the moment" though I don't believe I said he had the history to demonstrate he would equal Ware on an all-time basis.

Still don't think there was any evidence that he would backslide the way he did, but obviously this back injury doesn't set the table for a rebounding 2013.

EZ22

The One Who Knocks
I said the evidence was that he was in Ware's class "at the moment" though I don't believe I said he had the history to demonstrate he would equal Ware on an all-time basis.

Still don't think there was any evidence that he would backslide the way he did, but obviously this back injury doesn't set the table for a rebounding 2013.
This is fancy Schmitty talk for "I was way off."

Carp

DCC 4Life
I said he was in his class as well, not better...and I am still not convinced he will not prove to be. No doubt he had a down year though.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I said at the time that he only had ONE great season and I listed about a dozen guys who had big 15+ sack seasons that turned out to be flukes.

Not that I was saying he was definitely one of them, but I thought tapping the brakes and putting away the anointing oil was in order.

Lotuseater

Banned
I remember saying Ware was much the better player. That's still true, but JPP has the tools. Not many have Ware's dedication. That's what sets him apart.

Last edited:

Hawkeye19

Brand New Member
Remember that debate over whether Pierre-Paul was in Ware's class or not?

~snicker~
Yep.... I remember that debate. :lol

I think JPP will have a bounce back year this year and is a very good player-- but Ware's consistency and production place him at a HOF pace. The dude posted 11.5 sacks playing with one arm and a tweaked hammy all year and he still gets shat on.

JPP can set his goals and hope to one day grow up to be like Ware-- but for now-- yeah-- he's in a class below.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
JPP's a fine player who made his reputation playing the Cowboys. He's not the superstar he claims to be. Not saying we won't ever do it, but it's a very hard thing to do. He owes Doug Free a percentage of whatever massive bonus he gets from his next contract.

Carp

DCC 4Life
JPP's a fine player who made his reputation playing the Cowboys. He's not the superstar he claims to be. Not saying we won't ever do it, but it's a very hard thing to do. He owes Doug Free a percentage of whatever massive bonus he gets from his next contract.
5 sacks in 3 years vs Dallas is not exactly lighting it up.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
5 sacks in 3 years vs Dallas is not exactly lighting it up.
Also a blocked field goal, safety, pick six, at least one forced fumble and I think a couple of pass deflections. He loves him some Jerry's house.

Basically he made his rep with four sacks, safety, and blocked FG against Dallas in his second year when everyone was watching those games on national TV.

Carp

DCC 4Life
All that due to Doug Free...sure, I guess.

Top Bottom