Archer: Putting Cowboys' draft picks under the roster microscope

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Putting Cowboys' draft picks under the roster microscope

7:23 AM ET
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

FRISCO, Texas -- As the Dallas Cowboys get set to finalize their 53-man roster Saturday, let’s put the draft picks under scrutiny.

From 2011-15, the Cowboys made 38 selections in the draft. Eleven are locks to make the roster. Five are question marks. Three more are not eligible because of injury or suspension. One has already been told he will be released.

Tyron Smith is the only member of the 2011 class remaining. The 2012 class consists of cornerback Morris Claiborne, who signed a one-year deal to remain as a free agent, defensive tackle Tyrone Crawford and linebacker Kyle Wilber, who might or might not start at strongside linebacker Week 1 -- or at the least play a pass-rushing role. Tight end James Hanna will open the year on the reserve/physically unable to perform list.

Center Travis Frederick and wide receiver Terrance Williams are the locks from the 2013 draft class, and by 2017 Frederick could be the only member remaining. Second-rounder Gavin Escobar, a backup tight end, could be part of a trade. The Miami Dolphins have showed some interest. Third-round safety J.J. Wilcox could be in a fight to remain on the 2016 roster. Williams will be an unrestricted free agent when the season ends, and the Cowboys might not have enough cap flexibility to keep him.

When the Cowboys host the New York Giants on Week 1, only guard Zack Martin (first round) and linebacker Anthony Hitchens (fourth round) are locks to be on the roster from the Class of 2014. Defensive end DeMarcus Lawrence (second round) will be suspended. Wide receiver Devin Street (fifth round) is fighting an uphill battle to make the squad.

The Cowboys had eight picks last year, but only safety Byron Jones (first), linebacker Damien Wilson (fourth) and tight end Geoff Swaim (seventh) are for-sure locks. Tackle Chaz Green (third) is a likely lock but not a for-sure lock. Depending on the health of linebacker Mark Nzoecha (seventh), he should make it, but he could be on the outside looking in depending on numbers at other spots. Fifth round pick Ryan Russell, a defensive end, has already been informed he will be released today.

The Class of 2016 consists of nine picks. Running back Ezekiel Elliott (first), defensive tackle Maliek Collins (third), (quarterback) Dak Prescott (fourth) and cornerback Anthony Brown (sixth) are locks, but the Cowboys drafted Jaylon Smith in the second round knowing he would not be able to play as a rookie.

Fourth-round pick Charles Tapper, a defensive end, has not seen a snap of preseason action because of a back injury. He makes the team at the jump only because he was a draft pick and draft picks get the benefit of the doubt. Collins at least had 13 snaps of action, and it sure seems odd that he was held out of Thursday’s preseason finale.

The remaining picks from the sixth round: Kavon Frazier, Darius Jackson and Rico Gathers are not locks. Jackson has the best chance to make it, but can he contribute on gameday? Frazier had some good moments Thursday that might push Wilcox off the roster. Gathers has too far to go to help right away, but could be a practice squad candidate.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Jerry will stubbornly keep some of those turds on the roster just to make those drafts look better. I can totally see TWill get extended even if he has a mediocre year.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jerry will stubbornly keep some of those turds on the roster just to make those drafts look better. I can totally see TWill get extended even if he has a mediocre year.
T Will isn't a turd but unless he is cheap I don't extend him. Just not the type of player I'd spend money on. In the NFL I think you pay the stars and everyone else should be on the cheap.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Has anyone ever taken the time to go back and see how Green Bay, New England, and Seattle's draft picks have panned out in those same years?

My guess is all 3 teams have a number of picks contributing in one way or the other on each team.

The Cowboys?...HOW'D YOU LAK DEM 3 SUPERBOWLS??? :dunce

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Has anyone ever taken the time to go back and see how Green Bay, New England, and Seattle's draft picks have panned out in those same years?

My guess is all 3 teams have a number of picks contributing in one way or the other on each team.

The Cowboys?...HOW'D YOU LAK DEM 3 SUPERBOWLS??? :dunce
I don't know, the Pats cut a ton of oicks every year. Of course they aquire guys in other ways to contribute. Same thing for the Steelers who a couple early pass rushing picks who have done nothing.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I don't know, the Pats cut a ton of oicks every year. Of course they aquire guys in other ways to contribute. Same thing for the Steelers who a couple early pass rushing picks who have done nothing.
The difference with those clubs is that they recoup talent through pro personnel moves. Our pro personnel dept., headed by Garrett's goddamn brother, is weak.

We always "like what we have" and rarely go after available talent. Unless of course we are desperate and traded for turds like Cassel.

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
The difference with those clubs is that they recoup talent through pro personnel moves. Our pro personnel dept., headed by Garrett's goddamn brother, is weak.

We always "like what we have" and rarely go after available talent. Unless of course we are desperate and traded for turds like Cassel.
I'll be quite disappointed if we don't go after Holmes from Jax.

townsend

Banned

It's sad that our best FA signing last year probably wouldn't have happened if McFadden wasn't a razorback.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
It's sad that our best FA signing last year probably wouldn't have happened if McFadden wasn't a razorback.

The "Ol' Jer plaid at teh Arcansaws, so we sign em" angle. Always good for a laugh.

Top Bottom