Machota: Jerry Jones: It's 'too optimistic' to think about Dak playing so well he remains starter when Romo returns

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Jerry Jones: It's 'too optimistic' to think about Dak playing so well he remains starter when Romo returns

By Jon Machota , Staff Writer Contact Jon Machota on Twitter: @jonmachota

Despite Tony Romo's recent back injury, Jerry Jones says he's still excited about the 2016 season.

A big reason for his positive feelings: rookie quarterback Dak Prescott.

"I do because the promise of his future has created a lot of energy," Jones said Tuesday morning on 105.3 The Fan's Shan and RJ show [KRLD-FM]. "There's no doubt. That's reality. You can feel it and you can see it. ... We've got a lot of energy here and we can win with this.

"We've got a chance to develop that energy, that asset so to speak, with Dak, and have both, because Tony will be back."

The Cowboys owner and general manager said he isn't certain when Romo will return. The team is still discussing if they should put the 36-year-old quarterback on the injured reserve to start the season.

"I don't know and don't know that anybody does," Jones said. "It's quite a range there, probably four to six [weeks], six to eight, eight to, I just don't know.

"The bone should heal relatively quick and then he'll just need to get that back in good strength and we'll go from there."

The only thing Jones seemed certain of Tuesday was that Romo's current compression fracture won't force him to retire.

Since Romo's injury was revealed Saturday afternoon, one scenario has made for a popular discussion: What if Prescott plays so well that Romo doesn't get his starting job back when he returns?

Jones said that's something he hasn't even thought about.

"This is the first time I had really heard that," he said. "That's too optimistic -- if you really want to know the truth about it -- to think about."

Prescott playing that well would mean the Cowboys are winning a lot of games. That's a problem Jones and the Cowboys would love to deal with.

Top Bottom