DMN: Former NFL GM: Cowboys have to be watching Dak Prescott thinking, 'Do we have a Russell Wilson here?'

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
The biggest story to come out of Dallas Cowboys training camp isn't from the No. 4 overall pick in the draft. Nope, running back Ezekiel Elliott has been sidelined for the first two preseason games.

Dak Prescott, a fourth-round pick, has been the star of the preseason for Dallas. While he's garnered national attention for his first two games, one former NFL general manager has a lofty comparison of the rookie.

Charley Casserly -- now with NFL.com and former Washington Redskins GM -- had this to say of Prescott:
"I don't know how you can't fall in love with him because he's been outstanding. What I liked about him in Week 2 of the preseason for the Dallas Cowboys is this: instincts. The guy has an instinct of where to throw the ball, who to throw it to and when to run. That's a lot to be said for a young guy. I did not have any negatives again for the second week in a row.

"The guy's arm has looked good, he's been accurate, and he had a deep ball from the point of launch I measured it at 63 yards. I mean that's a cannon. That's a bazooka to throw the ball like that. So, very impressive.

"The other thing about him is he never gets any pressure on him because of that offensive line. So we'll have to see how he reacts in pressure. [He] wasn't as consistent in college. But if you're the Cowboys you gotta think, 'Do we have a Russell Wilson here?' I know that's a reach, but this guy has been impressive so far. He certainly keeping you off the telephones."

Wilson was a third-round pick out of Wisconsin by the Seahawks. Since then he's won a Super Bowl, gone to another and has been one of the best dual-threat quarterbacks in all of football.

Through two preseason games, Prescott has had a game with a perfect passer rating, thrown for four touchdowns and rushed for two more.

-------------------------------------------------------

I've thought about the Russell Wilson comparison quite a bit. Similar athleticism, draft position, and outstanding preseason performances as rookies.

Wilson immediately passed the eye test during the summer of 2012 and I immediately begin arguing that he should be the starter ahead of the recently signed high dollar FA Matt Flynn.

If Dak hooks up with an R&B chick, say Rihanna, I'm buying Super Bowl tickets.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I'm all about waiting to crown him king, but damn he has looked like a vet back there so far. Once we see how he does under pressure, we will know more. But, with his legs, he should be okay.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah Wilson is who I was thinking about the other day as well. When he first came in the league they used his athletic ability combined with a dominant run game in order to experience the immediate success. And then off of that Russel has developed his passing skills every year.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Dak hit on a good friend of mine's now ex-wife while they were vacationing in Mexico. :lol

True story.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I'm sure everyone over at the Zone is rubbing 1 out to Dak....but for me I'd love to see him in a real game situation where DC's have actually game planned for him before I get overly excited.

I am guessing we might see some of that tonight with Seattles D- I'm sure they have read all the gushing praise about Dak and are licking their chops to knock him off the perch. Too bad Dez ain't playing.

:explode

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am guessing we might see some of that tonight with Seattles D-
Yeah but the hard thing is you have to imagine Prescott will have a bad game eventually. I mean he can't keep this pace up. I'm sure the second he has a bad day everyone is going to overreact and suddenly Prescott will suck again.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Yeah but the hard thing is you have to imagine Prescott will have a bad game eventually. I mean he can't keep this pace up. I'm sure the second he has a bad day everyone is going to overreact and suddenly Prescott will suck again.
Yes that will happen but the real issue isn't how the fans handle it but how Dak deals with it.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes that will happen but the real issue isn't how the fans handle it but how Dak deals with it.
It's why it was nice to see how he bounced back after essentially throwing a pick against the Dolphins. It didn't derail him at all

Top Bottom