Christine Michael to Dallas

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Seahawks running backs coach Sherman Smith*was very honest recently when Dave Softy Mahler asked him about Christine Michael's development. Obviously, the main concern with Michael was the consistency.

"C-Mike (Christine Michael) is a guy that has so much talent, but the consistency needs to get there," said Smith. "Can't have a good play then a bad play. So, I wouldn't be surprised if he went out there and broke one for 90 yards, but then I'm not surprised if he puts one on the ground. So, we're just telling him, he has to become more consistent. Talent-wise, the guy has all of it, but we just want more consistency from him."

Smith continued:

"It's frustrating because he's such a good player. He has such talent. We want him to 'get it.' 'Here's what it takes for you to play in this league.' You should say to yourself: 'I'm a second-round draft pick, I haven't played in two years, what do I need to do?' So we tell him, you need to become more consistent.

"I told him, talent-wise, your talent scale is higher than Turbo's," said Smith. "But, dependability-wise, professional-wise, you need to learn something from him. So the frustrating part is not seeing him be what he can be as a player. So, I just want to see that happen for him. We try to coach him the right way. Be positive with him. We tell him, 'It's not about you proving us wrong, prove us right. You were a second-round draft pick. Prove us right, why we drafted you.' So that's why we keep encouraging him."

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Universal reaction seems to be that we got a good deal and that he may start.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Universal reaction seems to be that we got a good deal and that he may start.
I think if you get a player who can contribute for a 7th, yeah, it is not a bad deal.

But starting? I would be very shocked. He wasn't able to overtake Turbin in Seattle when their staff was pretty much begging for him to do it.

He's just another unreliable guy we added to the other three we are carrying now.

I guess we hope that 4=1 or something.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I think if you get a player who can contribute for a 7th, yeah, it is not a bad deal.

But starting? I would be very shocked. He wasn't able to overtake Turbin in Seattle when their staff was pretty much begging for him to do it.

He's just another unreliable guy we added to the other three we are carrying now.

I guess we hope that 4=1 or something.
Nothing but an all pro would make you happy I guess.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Nothing but an all pro would make you happy I guess.
I would have been happier with Fred Jackson. Professional player who has his shit together.

I just don't care for adding another unreliable guy. We have enough, don't you think?

It is not like we aren't just renting this guy. It is a definite gamble that he suddenly gets motivated and quits being a talented turd.

All in all, if he turns into a short yardage player, that's cool. I just don't expect him to become the starter until everyone else self destructs ahead of him.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
i had a feeling he was going to be a cowboy this year. Love the player but he's very unreliable. Hopefully he just needed a change of scenery and a different coach to make it click.

Genghis Khan

I think he will eventually start and be our most productive back.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I think he will eventually start and be our most productive back.
Well if so, he could not have asked for a better opportunity. Beat out three other unreliable guys, that is all he has to do.

Genghis Khan

Well if so, he could not have asked for a better opportunity. Beat out three other unreliable guys, that is all he has to do.
That's true.

But I just think this is the exact direction we needed. A young player with a ton of talent and not a lot of wear and tear. I really think he'll flourish here, but if he doesn't, no harm done.

There really wouldn't be a lot of options at this point. Anyone available right now will have flaws. I'll take my chances with a guy who could be a home run.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
That's true.

But I just think this is the exact direction we needed. A young player with a ton of talent and not a lot of wear and tear. I really think he'll flourish here, but if he doesn't, no harm done.

There really wouldn't be a lot of options at this point. Anyone available right now will have flaws. I'll take my chances with a guy who could be a home run.
I still would have preferred West, simply because I think he's a little less of a flake. But yeah, getting a young back with some talent was needed to fortify what we have.

I just wish Michael were a little more mature.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I still would have preferred West, simply because I think he's a little less of a flake. But yeah, getting a young back with some talent was needed to fortify what we have.

Maybe the fail in Seattle, a lesson learned, then a change of scenery/return to mother Texas, some big holes to blaze through....just may help him grow up and be somebody.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

He is about the same level as if a rookie was drafted . Good raw talent but needs development. It may be a bit before he starts.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

I'm not sure about that, West has his own mental issues. There were a couple reports last year he was really immature and he was benched twice last season for half-assing it in practice.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

I think Michael and West are similar in that they both got booted from their teams for immaturity. They both have similar builds. They are both young at 24 years old.

West has played more at the NFL level but that's because he played for the Browns who have a subpar starting RB. Michael on the other hand sat behind a couple other pretty good RBs. Michael was the better prospect coming out of college though. I personally like Michael a little more. Just think he is the better physical talent and has played on a real winning team.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
By the way, I play in a 16 team fantasy league. I'm seriously tempted to pick up Michael. Am I just being a homer? It's a league where talent is scarce because there are so many teams.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
How the Cowboys will give Seattle their seventh-rounder in 2016

20m

Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas -- In order for the Seattle Seahawks to get the Dallas Cowboys’ seventh-round pick in 2016, Christine Michael will have to be on the 46-man gameday roster three times this season.

The Cowboys acquired Michael for the conditional seventh-round selection on Sunday, joining a tailback crew that already included Joseph Randle, Darren McFadden and Lance Dunbar.

What is the likelihood the Cowboys have to give up the seventh-round pick? Getting four tailbacks on a gameday roster is especially tricky, unless one of those backs is a core special-teamer. Only Dunbar plays multiple special-teams units among the group.

Last year the Cowboys had only three tailbacks on the roster. In 2014, they had four tailbacks on the 46-man roster for six games.

Michael is expected to be part of the running-back committee but he will need time to get acclimated to the Cowboys’ offense. It would be unlikely for him to be active this week against the New York Giants.

If he is on the gameday roster for three games, then the Cowboys would be without their sixth- and seventh-round picks next year. They gave up their sixth rounder to the San Francisco 49ers in order to select tight end Geoff Swaim in the seventh round last spring.

In all likelihood, the Cowboys will make up for the late-round losses with compensatory picks from losing players in free agency.

Top Bottom