Joel Osteen's church theft opens can of worms: Jaws drop as folks do the math

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Bring your ass down here.
We can fire up the TV outside and have Olsteen playing in the background. I'll invite a crotchety old pastor over to give your kids bible lessons.

We can have a debil statue there too. I'm all about being fair.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
You have more reason to come to Lubbock than for me ... wait, are we texting or posting at the DCC?

I feel gay all of a sudden.
Right but we have water and stuff here, a few hills and vegetation too.

LBK has dirt.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
We can fire up the TV outside and have Olsteen playing in the background. I'll invite a crotchety old pastor over to give your kids bible lessons.

We can have a debil statue there too. I'm all about being fair.
Probably not a good idea.

How about a margarita machine and ouija board?

Cotton

Staff member
Right but we have water and stuff here, a few hills and vegetation too.

LBK has dirt.
I just quoted this post to move that image further up the page.

dallen

Senior Tech
:lol

Exactly.

I have another hypocrite Christian story for you and this one is very recent.

My mother-in-law's sister just came from Venezuela and is staying with the in-laws. She has no money and no job and is trying to find a way to make it here because the situation in Venezuela is so bad.

Anyway, the old man is starting to get tired of having her around and told my mother-in-law not to use anymore of his money on the sister. When my mother-in-law asked him if he could maybe help her find some type of work, do you know what he said?

"I can't help her find a job because she isn't a Christian."

:lol

Whotta Christian he is, huh?
I've been going to secular group that meets weekly on Sundays since we moved to Houston. Honestly other than the lack of any talk about God or gods you'd have a hard time distinguishing it from Church Services. We have moral discussions and fellowship and music. One of the things we try to do is to give back to the community. We do blood drives and volunteer at the local food bank every month, but we've been trying to do more. The problem is we keep running into is religious charities that do not want to be associated with us. All we are asking is to let us help them help people and they refuse. We're not asking to advertise or "proselytize". We just want to offer extra hands or donations. So you might say why don't you try to work with one of the secular charities. Well, for example, in Houston there are about 35 women's shelters. All of them are religious. Which on the one hand says great things about or religious community, and not so great things about the secular community. But it seems so short sighted to me to refuse the extra help. We are looking into what it will take to start our own charity, but we are still a pretty small group.

Yeah, CSB, but your mother-in-law's reminded me of that. If we all love each other then why can't we all help anyone in need, and leave the particulars of all partys' beliefs out of it?

Cotton

Staff member
I've been going to secular group that meets weekly on Sundays since we moved to Houston. Honestly other than the lack of any talk about God or gods you'd have a hard time distinguishing it from Church Services. We have moral discussions and fellowship and music. One of the things we try to do is to give back to the community. We do blood drives and volunteer at the local food bank every month, but we've been trying to do more. The problem is we keep running into is religious charities that do not want to be associated with us. All we are asking is to let us help them help people and they refuse. We're not asking to advertise or "proselytize". We just want to offer extra hands or donations. So you might say why don't you try to work with one of the secular charities. Well, for example, in Houston there are about 35 women's shelters. All of them are religious. Which on the one hand says great things about or religious community, and not so great things about the secular community. But it seems so short sighted to me to refuse the extra help. We are looking into what it will take to start our own charity, but we are still a pretty small group.

Yeah, CSB, but your mother-in-law's reminded me of that. If we all love each other then why can't we all help anyone in need, and leave the particulars of all partys' beliefs out of it?
It's utterly retarded that they refuse your help.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member

That's all good but most of the secular groups have extremely hostile members that are out to dis-prove the existence of God. I've got 4-5 of those types on my feed that do nothing but mock Jesus daily and talk about how stupid religious folks are. There's prolly not going to be any unity any time soon with those groups. A lot of them like to trap believers or trick them into making them look stupid. Kinda like the originally video that Ed posted. There's a great deal of mistrust and uncomfortable feelings about that.

I'm not saying this personally or anything. I'm just trying to give some perspective.

Cotton

Staff member
That's all good but most of the secular groups have extremely hostile members that are out to dis-prove the existence of God. I've got 4-5 of those types on my feed that do nothing but mock Jesus daily and talk about how stupid religious folks are. There's prolly not going to be any unity any time soon with those groups. A lot of them like to trap believers or trick them into making them look stupid. Kinda like the originally video that Ed posted. There's a great deal of mistrust and uncomfortable feelings about that.

I'm not saying this personally or anything. I'm just trying to give some perspective.
But, not all of them are that way. Painting them with a broad brush is just as bad as people painting all Christians the same.

dallen

Senior Tech

I understand that. I know there are some groups that out there. I've been to some of them and decided they aren't for me. They aren't really good for anyone. We aren't out to argue with anyone about their personal beliefs.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
But, not all of them are that way. Painting them with a broad brush is just as bad as people painting all Christians the same.
I'm not saying that myself. I am just giving some perspective as to why it is that way.

The chances of secular groups and religious groups coming together for a cause is about 1%.

Cotton

Staff member
I'm not saying that myself. I am just giving some perspective as to why it is that way.

The chances of secular groups and religious groups coming together for a cause is about 1%.
Yeah, I hear you, and I'm saying it shouldn't be that way. Just because you don't have the same belief system doesn't mean you can't work together for the greater good. And the fault lay on both sides of that fence. It's unfortunate.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Honestly though, expecting these two groups to unify is going to lead to disappointment. The point for Christian charities is for the cause of Christ. The IS the reason.

I know it sounds nice to think that if the world could just come together and join hands with all of the secular, Muslim, Christian groups or whatever we could all end world hungry. That sounds great but it is not happening.

The purpose of Christian groups is to evangelize. That is the purpose.

Cotton

Staff member
Honestly though, expecting these two groups to unify is going to lead to disappointment. The point for Christian charities is for the cause of Christ. The IS the reason.

I know it sounds nice to think that if the world could just come together and join hands with all of the secular, Muslim, Christian groups or whatever we could all end world hungry. That sounds great but it is not happening.

The purpose of Christian groups is to evangelize. That is the purpose.
I get what you're saying, and I know my thoughts are idealist, but letting someone help you build a house for a poor family means getting more done for Christ. I think it's short-sighted to not allow a willing group help you do good.

Cotton

Staff member
So, Joel Osteen has refused to open his church to help the Harvey victims. Like I said.... scumbag.

Top Bottom