Joel Osteen's church theft opens can of worms: Jaws drop as folks do the math

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
You and a lot of folks are getting ripped of by the cell phone manufacturers for the price they charge but still you are willing to pay the price rather than getting a cheaper one. It's a matter of your choice as to whether you pay a little or a lot. It's isn't much difference with church goers. Some pay a lot for various reasons but it's their choice. That doesn't make a recipient a scumbag, necessarily.
That's a terrible comparison. At least when I buy an over-priced cellphone I get something for it. This guy is receiving people's money under the auspices that it's going to help the church. You can see his house above. Yeah, unless that's the church itself, he is all but using their money not for what it was intended for.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
That's a terrible comparison. At least when I buy an over-priced cellphone I get something for it. This guy is receiving people's money under the auspices that it's going to help the church. You can see his house above. Yeah, unless that's the church itself, he is all but using their money not for what it was intended for.
It's a comparison of a person's right to choose what and how much they are willing to pay for something. It doesn't matter what it is whether it's a feeling or something tangible.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Hey, he is just taking their money because it makes them feel good. Whatta great guy he is, no?
Dude, I don't know why you continue to do jiggy-ish type shit on the regular. I told you that I don't know much about him, so I can't defend him. So insinuating that I think
"whatta great guy" is total BS meant to paint a picture that I never did. I was just generally asking what the problem was with what he is doing. Like, what specifically did he do to piss people off more than what other motivational speakers or entertainers do.

Because doing it under the guise of religion is inherently deceptive.
What does that even mean? You walk in that place that he preaches and know that wealth is being received. Guise make me think that some feel that he is deceiving people. I don't think that is the case at all. Again, I don't know much about him other than he is the feel-good-guy and people like to feel encouraged.

Is there a reason that people feel that ministers would be poor? That's the general idea that I'm getting here.

BTW, I'm not an Olsteen supporter or follower. I'm just spitballing.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I do know that Olsteen take a modest (comparatively) salary from the church. Most of his money is from books from what I understand. You still have a problem with that?

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I do know that Olsteen take a modest (comparatively) salary from the church. Most of his money is from books from what I understand. You still have a problem with that?
The reports are that he stopped taking a salary from the church in 2005.

Cotton

Staff member
Dude, I don't know why you continue to do jiggy-ish type shit on the regular. I told you that I don't know much about him, so I can't defend him. So insinuating that I think
"whatta great guy" is total BS meant to paint a picture that I never did. I was just generally asking what the problem was with what he is doing. Like, what specifically did he do to piss people off more than what other motivational speakers or entertainers do.
So, why are you even arguing with me? This guy is just doing what all churches so, but on a comically self-serving level. That work better for you?

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
So, why are you even arguing with me? This guy is just doing what all churches so, but on a comically self-serving level. That work better for you?
I am asking what the problem you have specifically with Olsteen is. Besides the fact that he's a minister is there more? The dude is selling hope like all motivational speakers.

Tony Robbins - considered a religious new age guru has a $480 million net worth

Olsteen - sort of in the same as Robbins IMO has a $40 million net worth

These two guys seen like about the same dude to me

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
You and a lot of folks are getting ripped of by the cell phone manufacturers for the price they charge but still you are willing to pay the price rather than getting a cheaper one. It's a matter of your choice as to whether you pay a little or a lot. It's isn't much difference with church goers. Some pay a lot for various reasons but it's their choice. That doesn't make a recipient a scumbag, necessarily.
These charlatan televangelists prey on desperate people. They get them to send money when they can't afford it and tell them that the reason they should send it is because they can't afford it. They call that faith and then make promises that the faith will be rewarded many times over, even though they are full of shit and completely self-serving . Watch that John Oliver clip when you have time. If you watch it and don't consider them scumbags then I don't know what to tell you.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Is that right? Is that what your dad did growing up? I doubt it. You're being a little extreme and might be exaggerating a bit.

Cotton

Staff member
Not really since the church he "pastors" pays to advertise, promote and sell those books.

So, basically he is using a non-profit illegally.

The Internal Revenue Service states, “To be tax-exempt under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, an organization must be organized and operated exclusively for exempt purposes set forth in section 501(c)(3), and none of its earnings may inure to any private shareholder or individual.”

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
These charlatan televangelists prey on desperate people. They get them to send money when they can't afford it and tell them that the reason they should send it is because they can't afford it. They call that faith and then make promises that the faith will be rewarded many times over, even though they are full of shit and completely self-serving . Watch that John Oliver clip when you have time. If you watch it and don't consider them scumbags then I don't know what to tell you.
Oh they are scumbags. I agree. Especially Robert Tilton.

Just because a preacher is on TV doesn't automatically put him n the same category though. Sadly most of the big names are though.

Cotton

Staff member
I am asking what the problem you have specifically with Olsteen is. Besides the fact that he's a minister is there more? The dude is selling hope like all motivational speakers.

Tony Robbins - considered a religious new age guru has a $480 million net worth

Olsteen - sort of in the same as Robbins IMO has a $40 million net worth

These two guys seen like about the same dude to me
Most motivational speakers are con artists, too.

Cotton

Staff member
Is that right? Is that what your dad did growing up? I doubt it. You're being a little extreme and might be exaggerating a bit.
Read what I wrote again.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
This church congregation is obviously not desperate people. Secondly I am not assessing the circumstances a a general matter only to the extent that people are not held at gun point to surrender their money. It is no different than any other sales approach system. Let the buyer beware.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Not really since the church he "pastors" pays to advertise, promote and sell those books.

So, basically he is using a non-profit illegally.

The Internal Revenue Service states, “To be tax-exempt under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, an organization must be organized and operated exclusively for exempt purposes set forth in section 501(c)(3), and none of its earnings may inure to any private shareholder or individual.”
I get what you are saying but I think you are pissed about something else. Maybe?

What I'm saying is that just because the scale is huge and successful I don't automatically believe that it is evil. It may be, I just don't know.

So you are saying that as long as a church or pastor doesn't blow up into something big then it is less evil? The poor guys are good guys and the great speakers are meany heads?

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Oh they are scumbags. I agree. Especially Robert Tilton.

Just because a preacher is on TV doesn't automatically put him n the same category though. Sadly most of the big names are though.
No, I don't lump them all into the same category. The ones that are the focus of John Oliver's piece are very obviously pieces of shit though.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Most motivational speakers are con artists, too.
They are selling hope.

Disney sells an experience.

Olsteen sells good feelings.

The Cowboys sell hope.

In a way Americans just love giving their money away for something that they perceive that makes them happy. All of it is a sham if you think about it. I just don't see one as more evil than the other.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
No, I don't lump them all into the same category. The ones that are the focus of John Oliver's piece are very obviously pieces of shit though.
By far. There are unfortunately many many more.

Cotton

Staff member
I get what you are saying but I think you are pissed about something else. Maybe?

What I'm saying is that just because the scale is huge and successful I don't automatically believe that it is evil. It may be, I just don't know.

So you are saying that as long as a church or pastor doesn't blow up into something big then it is less evil? The poor guys are good guys and the great speakers are meany heads?
Not at all. The pay scale should obviously fluctuate depending on the size of the congregation. I'm not even saying that all preachers should get paid the same. I'm saying (which was my original statement) that some do it for the money (this guy is one of them) and some do it because they are called to do it.

Is there some resentment in me heart stemming from the fact that we were poor? Probably. It doesn't change that a lot of "preachers" in the massive churches are a lot like this scumbag.

Cotton

Staff member
They are selling hope.

Disney sells an experience.

Olsteen sells good feelings.

The Cowboys sell hope.

In a way Americans just love giving their money away for something that they perceive that makes them happy. All of it is a sham if you think about it. I just don't see one as more evil than the other.
We agree, then. Expect the Disney thing. They are awesome. :unsure

Top Bottom