Archive - Random NFL Stuff Thread...

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Part of it is they want guys who have been in trouble and fallen on hard times to come in and give personal accounts of how they went down the wrong path. Or in Sapp's case how they keep going down the wrong path.
Yeah so instead of telling them to stay out of trouble, Cris Carter tells them to make sure to bring someone willing to take the blame when you go and get in trouble.

peplaw06

Brand New Member
Yeah so instead of telling them to stay out of trouble, Cris Carter tells them to make sure to bring someone willing to take the blame when you go and get in trouble.
He said something to the effect of, "Some of you aren't going to be able to stay out of trouble." Sage advice from the NFL Hall of Famer.

You are in the top .005% of all football players in the world. Your drive and athletic ability is unmatched. But expect them to follow the law? C'MON, MAN!!!

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Part of it is they want guys who have been in trouble and fallen on hard times to come in and give personal accounts of how they went down the wrong path. Or in Sapp's case how they keep going down the wrong path.
How many times had Sapp screwed up by then? Multiple allegations of abusing women, and multiple arrests. And yet THAT'S the guy they thought they should put in front of rookies and advise them?

Unbelievable.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

As expected.

peplaw06

Brand New Member
How many times had Sapp screwed up by then? Multiple allegations of abusing women, and multiple arrests. And yet THAT'S the guy they thought they should put in front of rookies and advise them?

Unbelievable.
I guess you could say he's been through it and can advise how not to make the mistakes he made... But it's more likely that these guys are just more likely to have "cred" with the incoming rooks.

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Their backup left the game with a hand injury this last weekend.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I guess you could say he's been through it and can advise how not to make the mistakes he made... But it's more likely that these guys are just more likely to have "cred" with the incoming rooks.
Well and that's why someone like Irvin would actually be a good mentor. He has done the stupid shit but he has clearly matured from that point. He would have the cred with the young player. I don't think you need to be a choir boy to speak at these things either.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Broncos sign Evan Mathis

Posted by Michael David Smith on August 25, 2015, 6:19 PM EDT

Peyton Manning’s protection just got a lot better.

Free agent guard Evan Mathis has signed with the Broncos. It’s a one-year deal worth $4 million if he meets playing-time incentives.

That’s less money than Mathis was slated to make this season before he was cut by the Eagles, but a league source tells PFT that Mathis didn’t choose the Broncos for the money: Another team offered him $5.5 million but he turned it down because he wants to win a ring and thinks playing for the Broncos gives him a good chance to do that.

So after missing training camp and half of the preseason, Mathis will now try to get up to speed quickly, and to provide a big boost to the line in Denver.

Cotton

Staff member
That's a pretty decent deal for the Broncos.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
That's a pretty decent deal for the Broncos.
Yeah, but a bit of an odd fit.

I don't think he will make a difference. He might end up like Mankins in Tampa. Just forgotten.

Cotton

Staff member

data

Forbes #1
Slash 2.0

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Seems like this guy is 80 years old.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
That still wouldn't make sense to choose Sapp because if that's what you're looking for, then you want a guy who made a bunch of mistakes but then turned his life around and learned from it.

Pacman Jones is a great example. I don't think anyone gave that guy a chance, and from all accounts, the guy finally grew up and left all the thug life stuff behind.

In the case of Sapp, at no point has he stopped being a piece of shit nor has he stopped making mistakes. That's why it's very very odd that they'd send him to advise the incoming rookies about anything.

He's a total screw up and I wouldn't want him anywhere near my rookies if I were an owner.

Jiggyfly

Banned
That still wouldn't make sense to choose Sapp because if that's what you're looking for, then you want a guy who made a bunch of mistakes but then turned his life around and learned from it.

Pacman Jones is a great example. I don't think anyone gave that guy a chance, and from all accounts, the guy finally grew up and left all the thug life stuff behind.

In the case of Sapp, at no point has he stopped being a piece of shit nor has he stopped making mistakes. That's why it's very very odd that they'd send him to advise the incoming rookies about anything.

He's a total screw up and I wouldn't want him anywhere near my rookies if I were an owner.
This was done after the 2014 draft, this was before Sapp's latest trouble.

But looking at his track record I still don't know if he was the right choice.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
This was done after the 2014 draft, this was before Sapp's latest trouble.

But looking at his track record I still don't know if he was the right choice.
That's my point.

He had plenty of stuff even before that symposium, and as I said before, had not shown any type of self-improvement to make him a viable choice whatsoever.

peplaw06

Brand New Member

Yeah, I don't think Sapp was a good choice by any means. I just figured that would be the spin the NFL put on it. I think the real reason they picked him was because he's a big name, hall of famer, and still relevant because he's a talking head on television (aka "he got cred").

Top Bottom