Gosselin: Who I think should be the next five in the Dallas Cowboys Ring of Honor

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Gosselin: Who I think should be the next five in the Dallas Cowboys Ring of Honor
By Rick Gosselin

Columnist Rick Gosselin recently held a chat to talk all things D-FW sports. Here are some highlights:

Question: If you were Jerry, who would be your next five additions to the Ring of Honor? Which ones have solid Hall of Fame arguments to make, too?

Gosselin: Harvey Martin, Cornell Green, Darren Woodson, Jimmy Johnson and Ralph Neely. Martin was an all-decade selection, as was Neely. Both deserve to be discussed as HOF candidates. To this point, neither has had that discussion. Jimmy has been in the room to be discussed but I think he'll needed coaches included in the contributor category to have his best shot. He should be recognized as much, if not more, for building the team of the decade in the 1990s as coaching it. His drafting and trading put a lot of rings on a lot of hands in Dallas.

Question: Darren Woodson said he was shocked that the Boys signed Rolando McClain this offseason given his lack of motor. Do you think that's a fair assessment?

Gosselin: Yep. I was surprised they'd bring him back. Not worth the headache. He doesn't like to practice. When you have a 4-12 team, everyone needs to practice. This team needs improvement, not prima donnas.

Question: What was your favorite moment from the Hall of Fame ceremony?

Gosselin: Lots of good moments. Favre talking about his father, Tony Dungy's spotlighting minority coaches, Kevin Greene giving a shoutout to the military... But my two favorite moments were probably when Ken Stabler and Dick Stanfel were enshrined. I'm on the senior committee and it's our job to resurrect candidacies that have, for whatever reason, fallen through the cracks. Unfortunately, both men have passed away but the night was for their families to celebrate. Dick Stanfel waited 53 years for his career to be recognized as Hall of Fame worthy. Ken Stabler waited 27 years for his to be so recognized. Those players deserved their busts long ago and both families deserved Saturday night.

Top Bottom