Moore: Cowboys are willing to part with O-lineman Ron Leary, but here's why they're in no rush

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Moore: Cowboys are willing to part with O-lineman Ron Leary

By David Moore

David Moore, Cowboys beat writer for SportsDayDFW.com and The Dallas Morning News, answered your questions about the team during an online chat Tuesday. Here are some of the highlights:

Question: Why aren't we killing two birds with one stone? Use Leary, who's unhappy in Dallas but a good talent, to bring in a decent backup QB. Makes too much sense.

Moore: "It may work out that way. But remember, losing Leary at the end of this season will bring a strong compensatory pick in return. Would you move him now for a veteran quarterback in his mid 30s? You can say it makes sense to use Leary as a trade chip, but how does your offense line look if Zack Martin or La'el Collins goes down after that? But wait, you say, chances are if you keep Leary he won't play. True. But chances are the backup quarterback won't play either, although I know last season has left most of you expecting the worst. The bottom line: Leary remains a chip as this season plays out. The Cowboys are receptive to letting him go, but are in no rush."

Question: Say we don't pickup another QB. What's most likely, Dak enters season as backup and Showers on practice squad or Showers backup and Dak on practice squad or 3 quarterbacks on roster?

Moore: "I believe a veteran quarterback will be added. Prescott will be the No. 3 quarterback, which was the initial plan before Kellen Moore went down with a fractured ankle. Showers winding up on the practice squad again is the most likely scenario. Prescott to the practice squad isn't an option because he wouldn't make it there. Once he was cut, another team would claim him. Showers has a much better chance of slipping through waivers."

Question: Do you think the Cowboys finish the season with Zeke, Morris, McFadden, and Dunbar or is it that once Dunbar is back and healthy, Morris or McFadden gonna be traded?

Moore: Think it depends on how the season plays out and if the Cowboys suffer a significant injury at another position. They have a surplus of talented backs. Moving one to fill a need elsewhere could be a viable option at some point of the season. As for who is more likely to be traded if one takes place, I'd go with McFadden over Morris.

Question: Stephen Jones said he would trade Romo for anybody. Where do you rank him among the current QBs? The Eli question, "Is he elite?"

Moore: Not sure how to play the semantics in this argument. I'd say elite is reserved for a quarterbacks who have won a Super Bowl title, or, in Manning's case, multiple titles. But his body of work in the regular season doesn't suggest he's an elite quarterback. Romo, on the other hand, has impressive regular season statistics but has yet to advance to the NFC Championship Game. I'd say most consider Romo to be among the top 10 quarterbacks in the league. Where you rank him in that group is open to debate. As for Jones saying he wouldn't trade Romo for anybody, that's a show of faith, confidence and loyalty more than it is an objective assessment of where he ranks.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Ugh. Would much rather unload McFadden than Morris.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ugh. Would much rather unload McFadden than Morris.
No question I would unload McFadden. What the hell is the point of keeping him around? So that we can instead cut a talented young back that we could have under contract for 3 more years at the cost of almost nothing?

Plus Morris is a better compliment to Elliot and McFadden should have higher trade value.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Question: Do you think the Cowboys finish the season with Zeke, Morris, McFadden, and Dunbar or is it that once Dunbar is back and healthy, Morris or McFadden gonna be traded?

Moore: Think it depends on how the season plays out and if the Cowboys suffer a significant injury at another position. They have a surplus of talented backs. Moving one to fill a need elsewhere could be a viable option at some point of the season. As for who is more likely to be traded if one takes place, I'd go with McFadden over Morris.
Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but isn't he saying the same thing as y'all...?

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Morris is going to show up big time and will make Elliott work harder. That's a great situation to have, especially with Jackson and McFadden as depth.

Can we finally lose Lance Dunbar? Please? Let him be some other team's headache.

Top Bottom