Bell: Prescott, not Goff, looks like No. 1 pick

lostxn

DCC 4Life
He doesn't have the strongest arm (probably part of why he was drafted later) but Romo doesn't have the strongest arm either.

But having a really strong arm isn't really that important imo. It does have to be adequate, and I think Dak's arm is adequate (contrast it with Moore, who throws like a 4 year old).

When you look at the throws he's made, the bomb to Butler, the deep outs to Dez, etc., Dak's shown that his arm is good enough.
In reading through a lot of the draft profile stuff, they all say he has a strong arm. Maybe it's just a style thing. A guy like Farve loves to just smoke them in there. Dak may prefers to throw a fat ball. Certainly helps your receiver (until they get clocked).

You're right that Romo doesn't have the strongest but his intermediate throws do get there in a hurry. His deep outs hang so he doesn't throw them as much.

But yeah, strong arms are overrated. Neither Brady nor Montana had the strongest arms and few would argue they are the two best ever.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
He doesn't have the strongest arm (probably part of why he was drafted later) but Romo doesn't have the strongest arm either.

But having a really strong arm isn't really that important imo. It does have to be adequate, and I think Dak's arm is adequate (contrast it with Moore, who throws like a 4 year old).

When you look at the throws he's made, the bomb to Butler, the deep outs to Dez, etc., Dak's shown that his arm is good enough.
Prescott's arm strength has always been regarded as adequate. His issue was pass placement. From what I have seen so far with the fades and also the screens, he either has made a big jump or there were things in college that maybe hurt him a little.

In all honesty, that is the amazing thing.

Prescott shows mastery of things now that he was weak on in college.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Prescott's arm strength has always been regarded as adequate. His issue was pass placement. From what I have seen so far with the fades and also the screens, he either has made a big jump or there were things in college that maybe hurt him a little.

Wade Wilson??!!!

~Berman head swing~

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
In reading through a lot of the draft profile stuff, they all say he has a strong arm. Maybe it's just a style thing. A guy like Farve loves to just smoke them in there. Dak may prefers to throw a fat ball. Certainly helps your receiver (until they get clocked).

You're right that Romo doesn't have the strongest but his intermediate throws do get there in a hurry. His deep outs hang so he doesn't throw them as much.

But yeah, strong arms are overrated. Neither Brady nor Montana had the strongest arms and few would argue they are the two best ever.
Remember that Kaep has a hell of a strong arm and we all see where that's gotten him know since he doesn't have any touch worth shit.

Joe Fan

Brand New Member

That's what I've taken away from it as well. It's a pretty impressive to watch. In all honesty I hope it continues for him and he continues to show that he wants it.

His growth in a short period of time has been pretty damn remarkable.

lostxn

DCC 4Life

I never watched him in college, so I can't argue or agree but the talking heads certainly agree with you. Stepping away from draft profiles and positions, just comparing him player to player - Have you ever seen a rookie QB have such a hot start, ever? RG3 is the only one I can think of. Not sure how we was in preseason but he ended the season with a 100 QB rating.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I never watched him in college, so I can't argue or agree but the talking heads certainly agree with you. Stepping away from draft profiles and positions, just comparing him player to player - Have you ever seen a rookie QB have such a hot start, ever? RG3 is the only one I can think of. Not sure how we was in preseason but he ended the season with a 100 QB rating.
Dak has all the arm strength you need. The bomb he threw 65 yards displayed all of that. But I agree, he doesn't try to throw rockets which leads to much easier catches for recievers. We talk about some big armed QBs not having any touch. It was actually my concern with Wentz who had receivers dropping too many balls because every throw was a fastball.

Ball placement and accuracy are much more important and that is what has impressed and surprised me about Dak. Plus he has what looks like elite pocket presence. He sees the rush coming and avoids it as well as any QB I've seen in a long time. Like a polar opposite to our backups last year.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Plus he has what looks like elite pocket presence. He sees the rush coming and avoids it as well as any QB I've seen in a long time. Like a polar opposite to our backups last year.
This. Actually, this is probably Romo's greatest strength. He's very Marino-like the way he slides around in the pocket.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Griffin didn't do this in exhibitions.

He did his work because he had an offense designed around him.

It just appears on the surface that we have done some work on doing more simple reads for Prescott in preseason games.

He is not dissecting defenses apart. And he is not experiencing a lot of complexity either.

Things are set up and he is executing that.

That'll do, donkey.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Are we really discussing Dak's arm strength after he dropped a 65 yard in the air bomb into a WR's bread basket?

Joe Fan

Brand New Member

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I was thinking the same thing. In all honesty after watching it again it doesn't even look like he put everything into it either. For those who need a refresher about his arm..

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000687916/Dak-Prescott-connects-with-Brice-Butler-for-a-58-yard-gain

One damn impressive throw.
Yeah, that was a helluva throw. He has made quite a few throws that showed his arm strength. I don't think we have to worry about that at all.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
It even looked like he wasn't set properly when he threw it. YEah, I was impressed.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I love Dak's poise so far, though this is just the very ground floor of competition the NFL has to offer.

Pressure, multiple looks, and game-planning change everything.

Bring him along carefully, let Romo take Wednesdays off, and give Dak a ton of reps.

In an actual game without Romo, run the pistol and lean on Morris, Dak, and McFadden.

Top Bottom