Your Ten Things For The 2015 Season

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Should be fun to see again at the end of the year.

1. The Dallas defense will be improved.

I admit this is a cheap prediction, but I think the addition of a rush will help. The secondary also looks a little better as well.

2. Tony Romo will regress.

I think he had a career year last season. And by regress, I say he goes back to thinking he has to make plays for the team to win. That is what I think was his best season and that pinnacle was due to my next thing...

3. The running game will sully this season.

The Cowboys had a chance to recover from letting Murray go. That miscalculation will cost this team 2-4 wins they got last season because the running game was so strong.

4. The swing tackle position will be a problem.

Weems is not equipped and Free's foot might be an on-going issue.

5. Our best rookie will be Randy Gregory. Our worst rookie will be Chaz Green.

Jones could be, but Gregory has a chance to hit 4-6 sacks just in part-time duty. Green won't even take a snap of real football this year.

6. We will miss Bill Callahan's influence on the OL.

Just in one preseason game, I saw what appeared to be a little lack of discipline and focus. I also saw some structural things that I hope weren't just products of being simple to evaluate. We ran few stretch plays and we looked to go to a man-zone hybrid scheme versus the calculated zone we ran last year. I hope to shit that Pollack is not trying to be creative with these guys.

7. Special teams will be a problem.

To me, it looks like we are trying too hard to specialize the depth to cover for a somewhat unreliable top layer of the roster. We have no returners at all and when Danny McCray is considered an "ace", there are issues.

8. Terrence Williams will continue to develop.

I just think he's getting better and may be like a Power Alvin Harper when it is all said and done.

9. Sean Lee will play 12 games.

I know, I like to live on the edge and predict crazy shit. I think he will get nicked up for a few games, but he could play the bulk of the season.

10. Tyron Smith is regarded as the best in the game by the end of the year.

Not one of the top three. The best.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
Agree for the most part. I think Mark Nzechoa is our worst rookie because he wont even make the team. I think Tony Romo will have a pretty similar year to last season as well. They know what they need to do to make this offense work.

I will throw a few predictions out as well on another post.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Did we know Green needed surgery when we selected him?

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Agree with all those. Which is a bit troubling.

Really though, only thing I'd add is I think we're going to see some real adversity at some point this year, something that didn't happen last year except for the first week of the season. Wouldn't be surprised if Witten gets hurt for more than one game for the first time ever.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Continued Dominance by Bailey

I know its a kicker but the accuracy is just amazing and it shouldnt get lost.

Stars

DCC 4Life
Interesting list. I think you are spot on with the defense and running game comments. In fact, I think we might make the playoffs this year on the backs of the defense instead of anything we do offensively. Which is something I would have never thought after watching this team last year.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
Predictions for the upcoming season:

1) Morris Claiborne plays more snaps than Brandon Carr this season. Carr is already banged up and Claiborne is having a nice camp so far. I think Scandrick will soon be our #1 cornerback and Claiborne plays his way into the #2, only to find a new home in 2016

2) Gavin Escobar becomes a much more important factor in our offense I think its really a show me something year, and they are going to give him a good shot to become the heir apparent to Jason Witten. He looked good in preseason game 1, but consistency has been the issue. Escobar, although not everyone's favorite pick, could turn into a solid TE.

3) Rolando McClain becomes a non factor for the cowboys Damien Wilson, albeit a rookie, will prove he belongs in this defense. Rolando McClain was a great story last year but I think his mental health gets in the way of him being able to continue to be a contributor. 4 game suspension and the burning of his Alabama home are reasons for concern. They are reasons that are unnecessary when you have a solid linebacker waiting to take over.

4) The offensive Line continues to improve When you have the best line in football and are able to add more star potential, its scary. La'El Collins should start by seasons end, but if he doesn't it just proves Ronald Leary is much more than your average offensive lineman. The chemistry seems in tact, maybe even better. Which is why:

5) Joseph Randle will rush for 1,200 yards He may not be your churning running back, but hes got a knack to find the open hole. If you think Darren McFadden is going to get over 700 yards you are out of your mind and Lance Dunbar will get used sparingly like he does every season. Whether you like it or not - barring a trade, Joseph Randle is your workhorse this season. The line is too good for someone not to get big yardage.

6) Sean Lee leads the team in tackles He hasn't played a full season yet, but I am jumping on the same bandwagon as booze - he plays at least 12 games. If he does that, he leads the team in tackles next season.

7) Dez Bryant will be considered the best WR in football Odell will regress slightly, Calvin Johnson will have another good but not great season, and Antonio Brown will be in the discussion as well. Dez is the most complete receiver and I think he has another season like he did last year - 14 TD, 1,400 yards

8) Cole Beasley will be less involved Love the player, but I think real deal TWill steps up more this season and Cole's production drops. Escobar should play more and Dez will be Dez. Someone needs to lose the share and I think its Beasley.

9) Safety play continues to be our weakness Our corners are slightly above average. In a Tampa 2 - Safeties get exposed on the regular. This year proves we need to get new guys in there. Barry Church could be a starter if the other guy can be the field general, but thats not JJ Wilcox

10) We lose in the NFC Championship game I'm drinking the Kool-Aid heavy this year, but we just aren't there yet. I think if we need a few pieces to be the team to beat, but teams like the Packers and Seahawks are more complete. We are taking every step in the right direction, but the window is closing

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
I should add I went bold on a few of these on purpose. Makes it seem more interesting and something to watch throughout the year

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
1. The running game will struggle in short yardage situations.
I know everyone here views the Cowboys OL as some sort of super power that will dominate in all situations. But I think we will definitely miss Murray’s ability to get those tough yards in goal line and short yardage situations. Go back and watch some of his runs in short yardage situations from last year. He didn’t always have a gaping hole to run through.

2. I think we finish with two double digit sack guys.
I think Demarcus Lawrence and Greg Hardy each give us 10+ sacks.

3. Cole Beasley will become Romo’s new security blanket.
With Dez obviously drawing the lion’s share of the defense’s attention and Witten slowing down, I think we’ll see Beasley morph into Romo’s favorite target on the intermediate stuff. I’m expecting approximately 60 catches from him.

4. The offense will morph back to the pre-2014 philosophy.
Without a dependable running back I think we go back to abandoning the run. KILL! KILL! KILL! will be back with a vengeance in 2015.

5. Dan Bailey will be perfect on PATs.
There have already been a few missed PATs this preseason but moving the PAT back to 15 yard line will have no impact on Dan Bailey.

6. The Cowboys will struggle returning kicks in 2015.
I don’t see a player on the roster who I think will provide us big play ability in the return game. Expect the same spotty production that we got from Harris last year.

7. Tyler Patmon will be our 3rd best CB.
I said this a few weeks ago. Corey White played very well last week against the Chargers but I think Patmon will develop into our 3rd best CB.

8. Mo Claiborne will not do enough to justify bringing him back in 2016.
Mo Claiborne will struggle and last about 6 games before pulling up lame and falling completely of the regular DB rotation.

9. Damien Wilson and Anthony Hitchens will be our most dependable LBs.
Sean Lee is obviously the best of the group but he’s always nicked up. Same with McClain. Hitchens surprisingly played well last year as a rookie. I can see Wilson having a similar impact at the WLB position.

10. Defensive depth is best it’s been in years.
When healthy and all pieces on the field together, I think this is the most talent we’ve had on defense since the 2007-2009 seasons. We’re a little undersized by NFL standards on the interior DL but there aren’t a lot of “pound it up the gut” teams out there so I don’t see it being too much of an issue.

dallen

Senior Tech
  1. Romo takes a step back - Romo had a career year last year. Without Murray I expect him to be back to trying to force things too often.
  2. Randle rushes for about 1,000 yards, 6 TDs - I don't consider this to be a good thing. He will be our main guy, but for us to succeed he needs to be first among equals in a RBBC. Unfortunately, I don't think the rest of our RBs are equal to him.
  3. CB play improves - I didn't list improved pass rush, but this is a direct result of that. Our backfield will all of a sudden become much better when they don't have to cover for 10 seconds every down.
  4. Stopping the run becomes a problem - Between being undersized and focusing on fixing the pass rush I don't see how this doesn't happen.
  5. Bailey continues to dominate - I mean, he is the MVP.
  6. Beasley becomes even more important to the offense - One counter to struggling in the run game are quick passes to our booze's favorite WR.
  7. McFadden will be a non-factor - This hurts the Razorback homer to say, but he just can't stay on the field.
  8. Witten doesn't bounce back - At some point age has to catch up. 60 catches and 5 TDs seems about right for him again this year. But that will be made up for by...
  9. Escobar steps up - He isn't Witten and never will be. Witten is still going to have better stats this season, but Escobar isn't going to have single digit catches again.
  10. Dez earns his contract - I mean, he is the other MVP.

Jiggyfly

Banned
  1. Romo takes a step back - Romo had a career year last year. Without Murray I expect him to be back to trying to force things too often.
  2. Randle rushes for about 1,000 yards, 6 TDs - I don't consider this to be a good thing. He will be our main guy, but for us to succeed he needs to be first among equals in a RBBC. Unfortunately, I don't think the rest of our RBs are equal to him.
  3. CB play improves - I didn't list improved pass rush, but this is a direct result of that. Our backfield will all of a sudden become much better when they don't have to cover for 10 seconds every down.
  4. Stopping the run becomes a problem - Between being undersized and focusing on fixing the pass rush I don't see how this doesn't happen.
  5. Bailey continues to dominate - I mean, he is the MVP.
  6. Beasley becomes even more important to the offense - One counter to struggling in the run game are quick passes to our booze's favorite WR.
  7. McFadden will be a non-factor - This hurts the Razorback homer to say, but he just can't stay on the field.
  8. Witten doesn't bounce back - At some point age has to catch up. 60 catches and 5 TDs seems about right for him again this year. But that will be made up for by...
  9. Escobar steps up - He isn't Witten and never will be. Witten is still going to have better stats this season, but Escobar isn't going to have single digit catches again.
  10. Dez earns his contract - I mean, he is the other MVP.
I agre with most of this except that Romo will be trying to force things again.

This offense even without a dominant running game will be much more diverse than years past and will still be productive.

With the defense picking up some of the slack he will not need to try and score on every possesion like years past.

dallen

Senior Tech
I agre with most of this except that Romo will be trying to force things again.

This offense even without a dominant running game will be much more diverse than years past and will still be productive.

With the defense picking up some of the slack he will not need to try and score on every possesion like years past.
I don't think he will go all the way back to Bad Tony either. But there will be a lot more times this year when we have to throw on 3rd and 2 instead of handing it off to Murray. Those add up

townsend

Banned
I think Tony's QB rating/ completion percentage won't be as good but he will be more prolific. If there's ever a season where he can do his best Tom Brady impression it's this one. I don't think there's another QB that can boast this many weapons along with such a good line.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I think Tony's QB rating/ completion percentage won't be as good but he will be more prolific. If there's ever a season where he can do his best Tom Brady impression it's this one. I don't think there's another QB that can boast this many weapons along with such a good line.
Packers. Very underrated OL last year, two top flight WRs, a strong up and coming 3rd WR, and elite RB and strong #2 RB as well. They lack the dimension Witten adds to the Cowboys offense, but the presence of Rodgers and the distance Williams is behind Cobb more than makes up for it.

Top Bottom