Veteran backs who could be available in cuts.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I disagree about Wilson. I think he is going to be a pretty important start in this defense at some point. Possibly even as a rookie.

Chaz is hard to defend right now. The only thing I can say is that I wasn't that high on Allen or Langford.
I like what Wilson has shown so far, but still. A WOLB is not going to make or break a season like a subpar running game will.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Yeah I think once we took Gregory in the 2nd over Coleman that was the end of the chances of getting a RB who could make an impact this year in the draft. That isn't always the case but I think it will be this year.

And that was the right move.

And the later guys, I don't know if they are better than Randle.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like what Wilson has shown so far, but still. A WOLB is not going to make or break a season like a subpar running game will.
I don't think we will have a subpar running game as long as we stick with the run.

With that being said we aren't talking about game changing RBs. I don't know that a guy like Allen/Cobb/Ajayi would have been the difference between a good running game and a subpar one this year.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I don't think we will have a subpar running game as long as we stick with the run.
I think we absolutely will thanks to the unreliable three we are heading towards carrying into the season opener. We won't stick with it if they don't produce.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yeah I think once we took Gregory in the 2nd over Coleman that was the end of the chances of getting a RB who could make an impact this year in the draft. That isn't always the case but I think it will be this year.

And that was the right move.

And the later guys, I don't know if they are better than Randle.
I am not even talking about an "impact" RB. I am just talking about a reliable player. All three backs we have are unreliable, either injured constantly or mentally weak or in some cases like McFadden, both.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think we absolutely will thanks to the unreliable three we are heading towards carrying into the season opener. We won't stick with it if they don't produce.
We both clearly disagree on Randle, no point in going there. I have faith because there were games last year where our running game started out like shit and we still stuck with it. It's a philosophy that Linehan has clearly adopted for this team. I believe he has even stated that he thinks this team is built for the run and that his belief in that really wasn't specific to Murray.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Well obviously I agree we should go get a more dependable running back. I just don't think I'd sacrifice Gregory to get it, and I wouldn't sacrifice Wilson for a chance that we'd get it, because the chances weren't great at that spot.

Just can't say that we blew the draft... think we had a decent draft all things considered.

data

Forbes #1
Well obviously I agree we should go get a more dependable running back. I just don't think I'd sacrifice Gregory to get it, and I wouldn't sacrifice Wilson for a chance that we'd get it, because the chances weren't great at that spot.

Just can't say that we blew the draft... think we had a decent draft all things considered.
Assuming trade value for a 1st round-trade-down wasn't there, even Gregory in the 1st and a second round RB sounds better than what we did.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I still think we end up with a back from a trade or cuts. I'm not entirely worried... Yet.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I like Randle as a clean up RB, or a change of pace back...we need a solid grinder that can tote it 15-20 times a game and produce on those carries.

I'm not sure Randle is that type of back.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I still think we end up with a back from a trade or cuts. I'm not entirely worried... Yet.
I'm on board but I can't help but worry. This team is ready, but this could be the one thing that fucks our chances.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
This team is good at getting guys off the scrap heap at the last minute. If we can find the RB equivalent of Laurent Robinson we can probably make it work.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd take a really good WOLB over a really good RB in the modern NFL any day.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
No but neither is any RB you're getting in the fourth round or later.
We have a real WOLB. We don't have a real RB. And we intend to have a running based offense?

Yeah, I get that Lee is hurt all the time. Randle is a moron and McFadden is injured constantly. Same difference.

On that playing field, I take the RB.

Now if you are lying through your teeth like Garrett might be doing and say you intend to run, I might agree with you.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd be pretty happy to have David Cobb right now.
I'd rather run Randle then Cobb. I'd be happy with Cobb as my second RB but I'm happier with Wilson getting starters reps right now at SLBer.

Now if we were talking about Ameer Abdullah it might be different. He looked like a beast for the Lions in his preseason game. Just such a talented runner. But we didn't have a shot at him really in the draft.

Last edited:

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I'd rather run Randle then Cobb. I'd be happy with Cobb as my second RB but I'm happier with Wilson getting starters reps right now at SLBer.
Wilson's still going to be the backup. So he's getting first team reps now, Gus Johnson was getting first team reps last week, doesn't mean he's a starter. Either way I'd be a lot happier with Cobb, even with Randle starting I'm not comfortable with not having a "tough yards" RB on the roster.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wilson's still going to be the backup. So he's getting first team reps now, Gus Johnson was getting first team reps last week, doesn't mean he's a starter. Either way I'd be a lot happier with Cobb, even with Randle starting I'm not comfortable with not having a "tough yards" RB on the roster.
Who is our starting SLBer when the season starts? Kyle Wilber? You don't think Wilson has a shot at passing him?

Even with Wilson as a backup I think he has far more upside in this league then Cobb who would also be a backup.

Top Bottom