MLB Chatter Thread

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Rangers are starting to Range.......

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
The Cubs are 11 games over .500 (58–47) yet are still 8.5 games back from the division-leading Cardinals and 5.5 back from the second place Pirates. Wrong damn division to be in right now. Their only realistic chance at the postseason is that second wildcard and the one game play in that comes with it. Even that is going to be tough as teams like the Giants and Mets are going to be in the hunt for that spot until the end.

At this point it will be mildly disappointing if they don't make the postseason but only because of where they are right now. I knew they would be an improved team but they are a lot better than I thought they'd be. The only way I'll be truly disappointed is if they really collapse and fall totally out of the wildcard race by the end of the month. Probably not likely but it is a very young team so who knows.

If they play .500 baseball the rest of the way and finish 10-11 games over .500 I will consider it a very fine season for a team that has been terrible the past several seasons.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Don't worry Ed, Mets are gonna win their division, so you don't have to compete with them. :art

Rev

Staff member
That stinks Ed. In the AL you can be .500 and still in the hunt for the wildcard. Just have to deal with a bunch of teams.

D

Deuce

The Cubs are 11 games over .500 (58–47) yet are still 8.5 games back from the division-leading Cardinals and 5.5 back from the second place Pirates. Wrong damn division to be in right now. Their only realistic chance at the postseason is that second wildcard and the one game play in that comes with it. Even that is going to be tough as teams like the Giants and Mets are going to be in the hunt for that spot until the end.

At this point it will be mildly disappointing if they don't make the postseason but only because of where they are right now. I knew they would be an improved team but they are a lot better than I thought they'd be. The only way I'll be truly disappointed is if they really collapse and fall totally out of the wildcard race by the end of the month. Probably not likely but it is a very young team so who knows.

If they play .500 baseball the rest of the way and finish 10-11 games over .500 I will consider it a very fine season for a team that has been terrible the past several seasons.
Would make me even more pissed at their lack of activity at the trade deadline.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Would make me even more pissed at their lack of activity at the trade deadline.
Meh. Not really. A bit disappointed but not pissed. I approve of their approach to try and get guys who were not just rentals but who had at least a couple years of team control. Guys like Tyson Ross and Carlos Carrasco. Clearly the price was high for those guys and it should have been as they are young and very affordable for the next few years. They just couldn't get it done on that front. I'm not really all that disappointed that they didn't go all in for Hamels either because there are going to be plenty of top arms available in free agency this winter. If they don't land one of the big fish they can explore trades again as the price tag is generally quite a bit lower in the offseason than at the trade deadline.

As well as the Cubs have played this year they really aren't ready to to make a deep playoff run, IMO. Still too green in too many spots. That is likely also the opinion of Theo and Jed Hoyer. Moving top prospects for rentals for a shot at a wildcard would be a bit irresponsible and a step towards undoing what they have been building.

That said, Dan Haren is underwhelming. He will give them stability and innings but he just isn't very good anymore (his surface numbers this year aren't bad but his peripherals do not support those numbers...plus he is giving up like 2 HR per 9 IP on the road this season). Would have been nice to have gotten a guy like Mike Leake, who isn't outstanding but certainly better than Haren. I liked the move to get Tommy Hunter from Baltimore because they didn't give up much and he is a steady 'pen guy that will help them out.

Now, if they don't really start pushing their chips in this winter and/or by next season's trade deadline I will be pissed. That will be the beginning of the "all in" time period as far as I'm concerned. I have little doubt that they will.

D

Deuce

Meh. Not really. A bit disappointed but not pissed. I approve of their approach to try and get guys who were not just rentals but who had at least a couple years of team control. Guys like Tyson Ross and Carlos Carrasco. Clearly the price was high for those guys and it should have been as they are young and very affordable for the next few years. They just couldn't get it done on that front. I'm not really all that disappointed that they didn't go all in for Hamels either because there are going to be plenty of top arms available in free agency this winter. If they don't land one of the big fish they can explore trades again as the price tag is generally quite a bit lower in the offseason than at the trade deadline.

As well as the Cubs have played this year they really aren't ready to to make a deep playoff run, IMO. Still too green in too many spots. That is likely also the opinion of Theo and Jed Hoyer. Moving top prospects for rentals for a shot at a wildcard would be a bit irresponsible and a step towards undoing what they have been building.

That said, Dan Haren is underwhelming. He will give them stability and innings but he just isn't very good anymore (his surface numbers this year aren't bad but his peripherals do not support those numbers...plus he is giving up like 2 HR per 9 IP on the road this season). Would have been nice to have gotten a guy like Mike Leake, who isn't outstanding but certainly better than Haren. I liked the move to get Tommy Hunter from Baltimore because they didn't give up much and he is a steady 'pen guy that will help them out.

Now, if they don't really start pushing their chips in this winter and/or by next season's trade deadline I will be pissed. That will be the beginning of the "all in" time period as far as I'm concerned. I have little doubt that they will.
Price should have been their target. He has a great relationship with Maddon and they had the cash to extend him.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Price should have been their target. He has a great relationship with Maddon and they had the cash to extend him.
I'm sure he'll be their top target in free agency. No guarantee he would sign an extension, Maddon or not. He is going to test free agency and is going to get paid a ton. Not even sure he'll end up on the Cubs. Probably not. They have money but their big TV deal is still a couple years away so they aren't as flush with cash as a lot of other teams right now.

Carp

DCC 4Life
If I am a Cubs fan I am not all that disappointed by their lack of a big name deadline transaction. Let this team gel a bit more, then go get a player in the offseason.

The Mets had to make a big deal...the division is/was winnable and it would be a shame to not add some hitters, just wasting the excellent pitching with a horrid offense. The team started to turn the corner after the Uribe/Johnson acquisition...and the Cespedes deal really showed the players that the team is interested in winning this year.

D

Deuce

If I am a Cubs fan I am not all that disappointed by their lack of a big name deadline transaction. Let this team gel a bit more, then go get a player in the offseason.

The Mets had to make a big deal...the division is/was winnable and it would be a shame to not add some hitters, just wasting the excellent pitching with a horrid offense. The team started to turn the corner after the Uribe/Johnson acquisition...and the Cespedes deal really showed the players that the team is interested in winning this year.
I think if the Cubs get Price, he puts them in prime position for the WC and gives them an ace to take that 1 game playoff. Then, with as well as they hit the ball and decent outing by their other pitchers, they could make some real noise.

Carp

DCC 4Life
The Cubs don't hit the ball all that well. They are near the bottom in the NL in runs scored, OPS, and avg.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member

Agreed. Mets are closer than the Cubs right now because they might just be able to win the World Series if they make the playoffs. That sounds far-fetched and it isn't the most likely situation, but with that pitching staff and some timely hitting it is absolutely possible. It would have been inexcusable for them to sit on their hands. And they were able to make the moves they did without giving up any of their young pitchers (even Wheeler) or very best offensive prospects such as Conforto. Do I think they are going to win the World Series this year? No. But they can get into the postseason via the division or the second Wild Card and with such a dynamic rotation there is at least a chance.

The Cubs definitely need a little more time. As you mentioned in another post, their offense isn't great yet. Guys like Kris Bryant, Addison Russell, Kyle Schwarber, and Jorge Soler are getting some really valuable ABs this season though and just being in the hunt for the postseason should help them down the road. They have to dump Starlin Castro in the offseason, move Russell to SS, and bring up Baez and give him another shot at 2B (he made adjustments to his swing and has a line of .318/10/41 in 173 ABs at AAA). They'll have to find a solution in CF (Fowler is a FA after the season), add another vet bat or two, and figure out what they are going to do with Schwarber. They want to keep him at C but have Montero for 2 more years so LF is the best way to get his bat into the lineup every day. Besides that they need another top-end SP (Price would be amazing but even a Jordan Zimmerman type to go with Lester and Arrieta would be nice) and another bullpen piece or two.

They are good enough to make it interesting this season but should start making some serious noise next year. Going to be fun to watch NL baseball for the next several years.

Last edited:

dallen

Senior Tech
First you lose Arian Foster, then the Astros get swept by the Rangers. Poor Houston...:flip

Rev

Staff member
First you lose Arian Foster, then the Astros get swept by the Rangers. Poor Houston...:flip
Not only that but we are terrible at home and still won.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I would be upset about coming in last place for the 3rd time in 4 years, but then I remember the 3 championships in 10 years, and I just smile and forget about it.

:art

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
:towel

I told Rev we were going to sweep them. I feel vindicated.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

:towel

Rev

Staff member
First Hamilton and now Napoli. We are getting the band back together!!

Top Bottom