Training Camp Thread...

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cotton

Staff member
Beasley has looked great in what I've seen. He may be in for a big year. Expect a lot of 3 receiver, 1 TE sets this year.
It's a great set for us.

Cotton

Staff member

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I think mincey can be a pretty effective dt.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Gruden is annoying the shit out of me.
I think he's been doing a good job considering the circumstances. It's got to be tough doing 2 hours of a random team training camp. Gruden seems to know the*plays and players.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
:towel

Cotton

Staff member
I think he's been doing a good job considering the circumstances. It's got to be tough doing 2 hours of a random team training camp. Gruden seems to know the*plays and players.
Doesn't make him any less annoying.

Cotton

Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Special teams to head coach is just an odd jump to make.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Anyone get this on YouTube?

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Awesome channeling of my man, FJ.

Cotton

Staff member
Byron Jones impresses Dez Bryant with key play in Tuesday training camp practice

Jon Machota

OXNARD, Calif. – After Byron Jones’ first practice in pads on Saturday, the rookie corner wasn’t pleased with how he played in press coverage. He thought he needed to be more physical.

Jones was lined up one-on-one with Dez Bryant as the entire team gathered around to watch. The first-round pick jammed the All-Pro receiver before staying with him step for step for about 30 yards. When Bryant jumped to make the catch near the left sideline, Jones was able to knock the ball out of his hands at the last second.

“That was a good job by him because I had it,” Bryant said. “He had my right arm. I practice on my left and my right enough. I had my eyes glued to the ball. He just made an outstanding play. He ripped it out.”

Bryant congratulated Jones after the play.

“It’s great to get the respect from the older guys,” Jones said. “I just have to keep this up and keep it going in the right direction.”

The Cowboys have put a lot on Jones’ plate from the start of rookie minicamp. He’s played corner and safety. He’s played in the base defense on the outside and inside. He’s played nickel and dime. And he has responded well to each challenge, according to Garrett.

“I like him,” Bryant said of Jones. “He’s poised. I think the beautiful thing about it is he’s willing to learn and you can see it. He’s not down on himself if he don’t make the play because he knows. And I think that’s how you become great. There’s nothing wrong with listening and I think he does a great job with that and he wants to be a great contributor when he comes to this team.”

Cotton

Staff member

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I can hear that annoying woman yelling Greg Hardy's name. Isn't she like 100 now?

Cotton

Staff member
Dez Bryant says he's willing to be Dallas Cowboys' punt returner

Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer

OXNARD, Calif. -- As the Dallas Cowboys look for a punt returner, they have a break-glass-in-case-of-emergency candidate in Dez Bryant.

Bryant took some snaps as a returner in Tuesday's practice but he tried to play it off afterward.

"They're just making sure I keep my legs warm throughout the period," Bryant said.

Bryant has 42 punt returns in his career with two touchdowns, both in his rookie year, but he has not returned a punt since 2012. The Cowboys lost Dwayne Harris in free agency to the New York Giants and have worked Cole Beasley and Lance Dunbar as their top candidates so far in camp. Rookie receiver Lucky Whitehead has also gotten some looks.

Bryant might be too valuable to do it on a full-time basis but they could look to him in game-changing situations.

"Oh, man, they put me back there, I'm going to get back there," Bryant said.

On to the observations:

There is something about two-minute drills Tony Romo likes. On his way to completing 15 of 20 passes in team and 7-on-7 drills, Romo completed all eight of his passes on a drive that ended with a Dunbar touchdown run. Three completions went to Dunbar and Jason Witten and one each to Bryant and Beasley. The throw to Bryant was his best, coming on a crossing route with Morris Claiborne on Bryant's hip.

Bryant gave a congratulatory hug to Byron Jones after the rookie corner was able to break up a deep ball. Bryant was ready to snag the Romo throw with his left hand but Jones was able to rip the ball free. As Bryant went to the ground, the receiver's helmet came off but he immediately congratulated Jones before retrieving it.

Tuesday was the best job by the run defense yet. Nick Hayden and Anthony Hitchens opened the play-action period with back-to-back tackles of Joseph Randle at the line. Hitchens did a nice job of sifting through traffic to meet Randle in the hole for what would have been a short gain at best.

The second-team offense managed a Dan Bailey field goal from 42 yards in its two-minute drill, but Brandon Weeden was sacked three times. Weeden and Reggie Dunn connected with a key fourth down pass on the drive that the defense never should have allowed.

Left tackle Tyron Smith is having a great start to camp. He has won most of his matchups in pass rush drills against Greg Hardy. In his second turn vs. Hardy on Tuesday, Hardy tried to do a spin move, Smith backed off and immediately put the clamps on the defensive end without allowing him to get up the field.

Cornerback Corey White had his first interception of training camp but it came after he was beaten by Gavin Escobar down the seam. Instead of giving up on the play, White poked the ball away from Escobar and hauled in a deflection for the turnover.

Right guard Zack Martin took some pre-practice snaps at center with the quarterbacks. He might be the backup to the backup at center and the coaches want to at least get him familiar with snapping the ball.

Second-year defensive end Ben Gardner was able rip and pull his way by rookie left guard La'el Collins in the individual compete period. In fact, the defense won all three snaps in the drill with Hayden beating Travis Frederick and DeMarcus Lawrence getting around the edge on Doug Free.

At one point Mackenzy Bernadeau took first-team center snaps after Frederick could not get his cleat back on as the offense worked through the hurry-up offense. With his hands taped up, Frederick could not untie his shoe and needed help from an athletic trainer.

The Cowboys waived tight end Ray Hamilton and replaced him with another tight end, Brandon Barden, who played at Vanderbilt.

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

He can't play until week 5 anyway. Let him rest and get to 100%.

Top Bottom