Training Camp Thread...

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Looks like Goof Son will cave in and throw him some appreciation cash.

I just hope it is moving forward some money, not extending him.

We likely won't need the guy after this season.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I think he's a useful player in our rotation, especially considering hardy's suspension. Maybe they can give him a 500k roster bonus or something? I wouldn't want to see them go crazy though.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Seeing a few reports they're working on a 2year deal with a slight pay bump

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I guess it doesn't matter that much, but Scandrick skips workouts, gets a raise. Dez threatens missing games, gets a new deal. Now even a spare like Mincey holds out and gets a raise? Not the best precedent to set. They should've told Mincey to pound sand.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I guess it doesn't matter that much, but Scandrick skips workouts, gets a raise. Dez threatens missing games, gets a new deal. Now even a spare like Mincey holds out and gets a raise? Not the best precedent to set. They should've told Mincey to pound sand.
Kind of a case by case thing. They need Mincey and they have cap space, so he has leverage.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I was not saying it to be funny. It is not a lot different from what they did from time to time in camp last year.

And then there is this silly idea that whoa, Escobar will be a monster mismatch on the slot and whatever. Sorry, don't see it happening.

I just think he's not quite good enough to play him like a Jimmy Graham.

He might have great hands, but he does not control his body all that well. He looks awkward quite a bit.
I think it's interesting they are fully integrating him into the offence, they don't need him to be Jimmy Grahm just another true threat who is not just coming in for a package.

And it's time to see if he is the answer after Witten, not saying he will be on that level but we need to find out if he is starting material.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

I think Mincey could certainly have a place on the team next season. If he can maintain a level of play near the level of last year he is a valuable guy who can play the run, rush from the interior in nickel/dime and start in a pinch if something happens to Hardy or Lawrence.

I agree that there probably won't be a huge need for the guy next season assuming Lawrence and Gregory develop but if we are only paying him about 2 million there is definite value in having a guy like him on the roster.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I think it's interesting they are fully integrating him into the offence
No, it isn't interesting. It is no difference from what they have been doing with him in camp all along. Then when the games count, he barely gets 20 snaps a game.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Jaylon Smith
Myles Jack
Darron Lee
Su'a Cravens
Scooby Wright
Josh Perry
Terrance Smith

Might as well just start familiarizing ourselves with these names now because LB is going to be at the very top of our wishlist next May. At least it looks like we're starting to develop some versatile young LB's in Hitchens and Wilson. It's a shame because if you could combine Lee's mind with McClain's body you'd have the best LB in the league, as it is you just have two unreliable players.

Jiggyfly

Banned
No, it isn't interesting. It is no difference from what they have been doing with him in camp all along. Then when the games count, he barely gets 20 snaps a game.
I don't remember any reports about him running 1st team 2 TE sets exclusively and certainly nothing about in playing the in line TE with 1st team.

Yeah this is a difference.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Cowboys 2015 Training Camp Practice Summary: Dallas, We Have (Real) Football!
By rabblerousr  @rabblerousr on Aug 1, 2015, 10:00p 89

Observations from the Cowboys’ third training camp practice, which featured the return of real(ish) football: players in pads hitting one another in earnest.

Although this was technically the third camp practice, many people affiliated with the Cowboys proclaimed today's affair as the opening of Oxnard 2015. Camp's "official" opening on Saturday was marked by a lengthy ceremony emceed by the great Brad Sham and, more importantly, the players donning pads for the first time since Dez Bryant's awesome catch to beat the Packers the playoff loss in Green Bay. To celebrate their return to football, your Beloved 'Boys came out in full armor and spent the better part of a beautiful afternoon pounding on each other.

And it seemed as if the players felt it was high time for such activity. After a couple of slow, quiet days of dutifully running through basic, global drills that failed to satisfy their competitive fires, they appeared to attack today's work with relish. That statement deserves some qualification: although this was a competitive affair, it didn't have the same level of frenzied energy that characterized the first padded practice last year. To my mind, this was because this year's edition has a greater sense of confidence about where they are in the NFL world. This is not to say that they are complacent; rather, their energy is more focused, largely because they radiate a confidence they didn't possess a year ago.

In short, this team is good, and they know it. But they also know that this means nothing, and are going about climbing a long mountain from a humble base camp in the valley below. How is the climb going? Here are a few scattered impressions from today's work:

As I watched practice, I noticed that the Cowboys were using Damien Wilson a LOT, and smiled to myself, thinking that the rookie was being rewarded by the coaching staff for showing an early acumen. Then I noticed that Sean Lee was on the sidelines, working on the bands. Soon, we all noticed this, and a murmur of anxious disappointment rippled through the assembled crowd. Several pointed out that Lee was only a partial participant in the team stretching session; when they did back and leg stretches, he stood there, seemingly protecting his back and/ or hamstrings. The questions started: did he pull a hammy? Tweak his back? Damage his groin? It was a tremendous relief to hear that his absence was merely precautionary. That his absence means more work for rookie Wilson is actually a side benefit of the Lee recovery plan.

After three days of practice, I've seen a lot of the O-line's work, and thus far they have drilled exclusively on zone blocking basics. The question that arises is whether this means they will be working on man blocking principles later in camp or whether, now that Frank Pollack, whose expertise is the ZBS, is the offensive line coach that they will be eschewing such man blocking staples as G-Power, wherein both guards pull, leading the runner around the edge, and sticking entirely with a ZBS system. Its a question worth revisiting as camp progresses.

Speaking of offensive line coaches, Pollack and Co. were joined by former Cowboys O-line coach extraordinaire Hudson Houck, who worked with interior linemen while others coaches were drilling the tackles and tight ends and later, when the OL were divided into left and right sides, coached the left side while Pollack and Marc Columbo worked with the men on the right side. The Cowboys have a long list of former players and coaches who have made appearances at camp. These men offer inspiration or lend expertise; Houck would certainly fit into either category.

One more thought about the offensive line: with today being the first practice in pads, the coaches drew up a run-heavy playsheet, and began the first 11-on-11 session with a long set of running plays. Its clear that they want the run game to receive the emphasis it did in 2014. Of course, we want it to be as effective as it was last season - and, if the early returns are any indication of what is to be (not something we would be wise to rely upon), they will: in the full team periods, Joseph Randle and Lance Dunbar were able to exploit big creases and often saw big gains before there was any contact, even of the two hand variety.

Speaking of hands: Gavin Escobar has been much maligned, largely for his draft position and scarcity of usage. But I continue to believe that he has the best hands on the team. On one drill, a zippy Brandon Weeden quick out died gently in his big mitts, with a soft but audible thump. I can't say that the Cowboys will use Number 89 any more than they have his first two years in the league, but I do think he's capable, with this length, savvy and superb hands, of being a very real threat in the passing game.

Allow me to say it: Greg Hardy is awesome. One day after ingratiating himself with Cowboys Nation by contributing $300.00 to help fund a banner to fly over Eagles training camp, he reacted to the defense's struggles at practice by throwing his helmet in disgust. This a couple of days after he strained his ribs by practicing too hard and too violently on a simple pass rush drill versus a padded dummy. Every story I hear about Hardy makes me think he's a perfect fit for the salty bunch that emerged last season after nice guy DeMarcus Ware's locker room leadership role was taken by perpetual curmudgeon Orlando Scandrick.

And there's this:

One final defensive note: I continue to maintain that one of the most important offseason acquisitions - and perhaps the least publicized - was the Cowboys picking up cornerback Corey White after he was released by the Saints. On Saturday, he showed himself to be a versatile piece of the roster puzzle. In the first full team period, he deployed as a dime linebacker, and lined up in the A-gap on several plays. On some instances, he rushed the passer form the interior; on others, he peeled back into coverage - one time moving to his left to cover Witten after "sugaring" a blitz. He had the wherewithal, however, to peel off of Number 82, and undercut A.J. Jenkins to make an athletic interception. But that's not all: he was also serving as the gunner on the first team punt coverage unit - and regularly tracked the ball well, positioning himself near the returner.

Good teams tend to have a "Swiss Army knife" kind of player on the roster, guys capable of successfully filling multiple smaller roles (Dwayne Harris excelled at this in recent years) In the early going, White is staking his claim as one of these kinds of players.

Cotton

Staff member
Jiggyfly said:
your Beloved 'Boys came out in full armor and spent the better part of a beautiful afternoon pounding on each other
:unsure

Cotton

Staff member
Gavin Escobar has better hands than Dez? GTFO of here.

Cotton

Staff member

Well, this just got awkward.

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton