Brady Appeal Thread

GShock

DCC 4Life
this means he wont play against us, right? He can't appeal twice?
He can take it to court, but that's a tough row to hoe. They defer to arbitrators in almost all cases, though with Goodell as the arbitrator in this case, that aspect is a little more interesting.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I wouldn't have minded see the Dallas defense go against him just to see if they have started to put it together. On the other hand they can prove themselves later.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Tom Brady's four-game suspension for his role in using underinflated footballs during the AFC championship game last season has been upheld by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell.

The league announced the decision Tuesday.

Goodell also revealed that Brady destroyed his cell phone as the NFL investigation into the matter was underway.

'On or shortly before March 6, the day that Tom Brady met with independent investigator Ted Wells and his colleagues, Brady directed that the cell phone he had used for the prior four months be destroyed,' wrote Goodell.

'He did so even though he was aware that the investigators had requested access to text messages and other electronic information that had been stored on that phone.'

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
NFL STATEMENT

'In the opinion informing Brady that his appeal had been denied, Commissioner Goodell emphasized important new information disclosed by Brady and his representatives in connection with the hearing.

'On or shortly before March 6, the day that Tom Brady met with independent investigator Ted Wells and his colleagues, Brady directed that the cell phone he had used for the prior four months be destroyed. He did so even though he was aware that the investigators had requested access to text messages and other electronic information that had been stored on that phone.

'‎During the four months that the cell phone was in use, Brady had exchanged nearly 10,000 text messages, none of which can now be retrieved from that device. The destruction of the cell phone was not disclosed until June 18, almost four months after the investigators had first sought electronic information from Brady.

'Based on the Wells Report and the evidence presented at the hearing, Commissioner Goodell concluded in his decision that Brady was aware of, and took steps to support‎, the actions of other team employees to deflate game footballs below the levels called for by the NFL's Official Playing Rules.

'The commissioner found that Brady’s deliberate destruction of potentially relevant evidence went beyond a mere failure to cooperate in the investigation and supported a finding that he had sought to hide evidence of his own participation in the underlying scheme to alter the footballs.'

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Brady's actions surrounding the investigation have been all sorts of shady.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
Brady's actions surrounding the investigation have been all sorts of shady.
Really, guys, this is no big deal. Aaron Rodgers likes a fuller ball. Guys do this all the time. Now I'll BRB, gotta go destroy my cellphone like I'm Walter White getting off the phone with Gus Fring.

D

Deuce

Really, guys, this is no big deal. Aaron Rodgers likes a fuller ball. Guys do this all the time. Now I'll BRB, gotta go destroy my cellphone like I'm Walter White getting off the phone with Gus Fring.
I agree, this isn't the worst crime that could have occurred. But there's some satisfaction in someone with a Golden Boy persona who is being caught in a lie and doing shady stuff to cover it up.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I wouldn't have minded see the Dallas defense go against him just to see if they have started to put it together. On the other hand they can prove themselves later.
To hell with that. I want them as weak as we can get them.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Apparently Brady informed the NFLPA to appeal his suspension to Federal Court. So he'll probably get an injunction to stop the suspension from going into effect.

Of course that means he could have the suspension kick in later in the season if it's upheld, during more important games.

Genghis Khan

:lol exactly.

Genghis Khan

Apparently Brady informed the NFLPA to appeal his suspension to Federal Court. So he'll probably get an injunction to stop the suspension from going into effect.

Of course that means he could have the suspension kick in later in the season if it's upheld, during more important games.
Maybe I'm missing something but I can't imagine it going well when he's destroying evidence.

GShock

DCC 4Life

Could be. On the other hand, that irreparable harm argument to a Federal judge is no gimmie.

data

Forbes #1
My faith in the NFL has been restored.

Calling DirecTV to reorder Sunsay Ticket now.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can't either but I'm sure the NFLPA lawyers know better than I do.
Well I think they probably have nothing to lose by appealing it. Depending on how quickly the appeal is heard the Patriots probably won't care if it's the first four games he is suspended or somewhere in the middle of the season. As long as Brady isn't missing playoff games they will probably be fine.

This isn't like the domestic assault cases where there was a specific punishment for that crime. And the NFL had to be held to that standard. No one's really been punished for cheating and then covering up evidence like this before. I don't think the courts will have the same type of ammunition to overturn this suspension.

Genghis Khan

Same here... but I don't think an injunction is as likely as it has been in other cases.
Really? I'd assumed an injunction was nearly automatic here. If he serves any of the suspension before being heard his case is irreperably harmed.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Really? I'd assumed an injunction was nearly automatic here. If he serves any of the suspension before being heard his case is irreperably harmed.
Yeah I don't think an injunction should be a problem. Basically he would have irreparable harm if he misses games while the case is pending. The NFL on the other hand isn't really negatively impacted at all by the injunction.

Top Bottom