MLB Chatter Thread

Carp

DCC 4Life
Supposedly the Mets have 5-10 players they are looking at in deals. They seem set on getting a CF...not that many I am interested in now. Wish they could have shoehorned Reddick into the Clippard deal.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I don't see Revere as an ideal top of the order guy at all. He will hit about .300 but rarely walks so his OBP is generally in the .330 range. Decent but not great for a leadoff guy. Plus he has a pathetic arm in the outfield. I don't see him play often so I'm sure Geng can tell you a lot more about him but I don't think he is that great of a baseball player.
You're exactly right.

Hitters have to do at least one of two things to be worth anything. Either get on base a lot, or hit with some semblance of power. The less you do of one thing, the more you need to do of the other to have any kind of value.

Revere is not good at either.

On a good team he might have a little bit of value as the last guy on the bench who can pinch run or pinch hit.

D

Deuce

Supposedly the Mets have 5-10 players they are looking at in deals. They seem set on getting a CF...not that many I am interested in now. Wish they could have shoehorned Reddick into the Clippard deal.
They should just bring Nimmo up and skip Las Vegas.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Morse got DFA today...I'll take him on the Mets.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I hate giving up one of our stud pitchers. Is Bruce a clear win for the Mets, value wise?

Or is he just the best bat we can get at the current time, and we're overpaying to make a run at a division title?

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I hate giving up one of our stud pitchers. Is Bruce a clear win for the Mets, value wise?

Or is he just the best bat we can get at the current time, and we're overpaying to make a run at a division title?
Bruce is under contract next season & has a team option for 2017. He is getting $12-$13M year. I'd imagine that weighs pretty heavily into the Mets desire to obtain him. He hits for power & plays pretty good D in RF. He was terrible last year after a few very productive seasons and has been decent this season. He would be yet another lefty in that lineup, which I don't know if that is a good thing or a not.

Seems like the Mets just about have to move a SP for a bat at some point, right? Why not the guy recovering from TJ that has had control issues so far in his career when he was healthy? Could they do better? Maybe down the road but right now the other power bats available are guys like Justin Upton & Yoenis Cespedes, who would be rental since their contracts are up after the season.

Not sure it would be a major overpay but they have to try to make the playoffs. With that rotation they can be dangerous in the postseason and should try to go for it a bit now. Just my take.

Last edited:

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Cubs get Dan Haren from Miami. I'm sure it is for low level prospects since he is a 34 year old rental. Worth a shot as it is pretty much no risk and no money (Dodgers are paying his salary this season but he could hit some incentives). He isn't great anymore but better than Dallas Beeler, Clayton Richard, Tyoshi Wada, and the rest of the scrubs they have trotted out at the back end of the rotation this season.

I'm sure they are not done. Still trying to pry Tyson Ross from SD and it sounds like a 3 way deal involving the Cubs, Padres, and Red Sox is potentially in the works. Kimbrel may go to Boston. Only a couple more hours left.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

D

Deuce

Rays send Jepson to the Twins for a couple of minor league pitchers. Keep it going, Silverman.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
:towel

Carp

DCC 4Life
Trying to avoid being a fan and not just go for bright, shiny things...but this team has a shot this year...get something done Sandy. Pretty soon the pitchers, particularly Harvey, will look for a way out due to lack of run support.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Trying to avoid being a fan and not just go for bright, shiny things...but this team has a shot this year...get something done Sandy. Pretty soon the pitchers, particularly Harvey, will look for a way out due to lack of run support.
J. Stark saying Cespedes to Mets. No details or any confirmation yet.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Mets give up prospects named Fulmer and Cessa for Cespedes.

Cubs traded Junior Lake for Baltimore RP Tommy Hunter.

Wow. Dan Haren and Tommy Hunter. Huge letdown. I didn't want the Cubs to go all in and give up too much chasing the second NL Wildcard but to call these moves underwhelming would be an understatement. They are low-cost moves and could be possibly be the difference in 1-2 wins down the stretch if they are lucky. Did absolutely nothing to move the needle.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Fulmer has been on the uptick and really coming on...he is a good prospect, but this is less than I thought we'd have to give up for him.

Top Bottom