2015 College Football Chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
That's mere hearsay.

Now if you'll excuse me, I must break into my happy dance. :mj

That's not hearsy. That's what he said. He was posed because he was told he'd have to compete. He didn't do enough to win the job. He was told that he'd have to compete for the bowl game and maybe beyond. He got his feeling hurt and the quit. His words.

Furthermore, there is not a function in the Big12 that allows for a player to transfer in conference and not sit out. As a matter of fact it doesn't exist in D1 football. At all. So why should this punk quitter get to move from one team to the next?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's not hearsy. That's what he said. He was posed because he was told he'd have to compete. He didn't do enough to win the job. He was told that he'd have to compete for the bowl game and maybe beyond. He got his feeling hurt and the quit. His words.
I'd love to see the quote if he actually said that.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I'd love to see the quote if he actually said that.
“A lot of things played into it,” Mayfield told Trotter. “It was over time. When I got hurt [Week 5 at Kansas], there was no communication between me and my coach [Kingsbury]. When I got healthy, I didn’t know why I wasn’t playing right away. At that time, we were losing a couple games in a row. I was still clueless as to why I wasn’t playing. That was really frustrating for me because I started the first five games and we won. So, I just didn’t really know exactly what he was thinking or what the situation was. So that happened. And then going from a week-to-week basis not knowing whether I was going to play or not and how short the leash would be if I had an average half, how quickly I would be pulled or anything like that. It was making me uncomfortable, and I just didn’t want to be there anymore.”

"I know he did give me the opportunity to start in the first place, and I’m thankful for that. I worked my butt off to get there, and I thank for him for taking a chance on me — starting a walk-on quarterback. But after that, when he was rotating us, there was no explanation.”

Trotter: Was that the final straw for you?

Mayfield: I mean that was kinda leading up to it, yes. Then after the Texas game on Thanksgiving, the next week we went in, I was splitting second-team reps after starting on Thanksgiving. I still had no idea what was going on. I’d just had enough at that point.

Mayfield: Michael [Brewer] was going first. I don’t know if he [Kingsbury] did that by age, but there was no explanation for why he was doing it. Right when we started our first bowl practice, right before the practice, he [Kingsbury] said it was a straight-up competition and that was how they were going to determine the starting quarterback. I didn’t think that was really fair. I’m not one to be afraid of competition at all because I’ve gone through that my whole life at Lake Travis [Mayfield’s high school], too, and when I got to Tech. But I didn’t think that was fair because I had done my job when I had gotten the opportunity. I mean, I thought I needed more of a chance, and I wasn’t getting it. And they were splitting the reps equally so that was the last straw.

The last one answering your post the best.

D

Deuce

“A lot of things played into it,” Mayfield told Trotter. “It was over time. When I got hurt [Week 5 at Kansas], there was no communication between me and my coach [Kingsbury]. When I got healthy, I didn’t know why I wasn’t playing right away. At that time, we were losing a couple games in a row. I was still clueless as to why I wasn’t playing. That was really frustrating for me because I started the first five games and we won. So, I just didn’t really know exactly what he was thinking or what the situation was. So that happened. And then going from a week-to-week basis not knowing whether I was going to play or not and how short the leash would be if I had an average half, how quickly I would be pulled or anything like that. It was making me uncomfortable, and I just didn’t want to be there anymore.”

"I know he did give me the opportunity to start in the first place, and I’m thankful for that. I worked my butt off to get there, and I thank for him for taking a chance on me — starting a walk-on quarterback. But after that, when he was rotating us, there was no explanation.”

Trotter: Was that the final straw for you?

Mayfield: I mean that was kinda leading up to it, yes. Then after the Texas game on Thanksgiving, the next week we went in, I was splitting second-team reps after starting on Thanksgiving. I still had no idea what was going on. I’d just had enough at that point.

Mayfield: Michael [Brewer] was going first. I don’t know if he [Kingsbury] did that by age, but there was no explanation for why he was doing it. Right when we started our first bowl practice, right before the practice, he [Kingsbury] said it was a straight-up competition and that was how they were going to determine the starting quarterback. I didn’t think that was really fair. I’m not one to be afraid of competition at all because I’ve gone through that my whole life at Lake Travis [Mayfield’s high school], too, and when I got to Tech. But I didn’t think that was fair because I had done my job when I had gotten the opportunity. I mean, I thought I needed more of a chance, and I wasn’t getting it. And they were splitting the reps equally so that was the last straw.

The last one answering your post the best.
I don't blame him if what I read is true. Sounds like Kliff is a shitty communicator with his players and Mayfield was wondering why he didn't play and then is forced to compete when his record was put up against someone who was losing. Might as well get out of an environment like that and get with a coach who knows what he's doing.

Cotton

Staff member
I don't blame him if what I read is true. Sounds like Kliff is a shitty communicator with his players and Mayfield was wondering why he didn't play and then is forced to compete when his record was put up against someone who was losing. Might as well get out of an environment like that and get with a coach who knows what he's doing.
He was a crybaby the ever since he gained the role of starter after walking on. I think he felt he was due the job on walking on alone.

Let's see how much 1big and LT think of him by year's end.

D

Deuce

He was a crybaby the ever since he gained the role of starter after walking on. I think he felt he was due the job on walking on alone.

Well, based on the interview you posted, it sounded like he was the starter and then lost his job due to injury without much communication. That never sits well with players. If they lose their job, it should be due to performance not getting hurt. Plus, it's not like the dude who replaced him was getting it done anyhow.

Just saying, he sounds a little more rational than the homers holding a grudge.

Cotton

Staff member
Well, based on the interview you posted, it sounded like he was the starter and then lost his job due to injury without much communication. That never sits well with players. If they lose their job, it should be due to performance not getting hurt. Plus, it's not like the dude who replaced him was getting it done anyhow.

He was hurt the entire time that losing was going on.

It's not like he was healthy and being kept out of the games.

D

Deuce

He was hurt the entire time that losing was going on.

It's not like he was healthy and being kept out of the games.
So how many weeks did he not play when healthy? He very clearly says that happened and was one of the reasons he left.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member

Based on what he said maybe. Nobody was the starter. The truth was that there were true freshman QBs trying to win the job. It was a bad situation all around. Kids were fumbling, throwing picks and losing games. Nobody was crowned the starter pretty much all year. I know you weren't watching the games or following, so you don't know. Baker was a damn walk-on. He got to campus in June. June, dude. The starter was hurt and then Baker won the job by default over another true freshman. It wasn't because he was awesome. He had some good things here and there and is clearly a fighter but he never won anything. He played like garbage mostly, which is expected because he was put in a tough tough spot. If he didn't get his fair shake then why did he start after being on campus for 2 months as a walk-on. The bottom line was that the QBs were true damn freshman. Just getting through each week was a miracle. Baker turned the ball over a crap ton of times.

The other thing is that Baker comes from Westlake and is a known brat. Terribly spoiled kid who's mommy and daddy bailed him out all the time. Helicopter parents. He cried and mommy and daddy told their precious baby that they didn't have to let meany head Kliff talk to him like that.

Last edited:

Cotton

Staff member
So how many weeks did he not play when healthy? He very clearly says that happened and was one of the reasons he left.
1 really. Could have been 2. He wasn't good enough for me to fret about, so I don't remember exactly.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member

Honestly, my expectations are so low this year that in order to disappoint me, Mayfield would have to perform like Vaughan did on Sunday night. I'm expecting another 5 loss season. Primarily because we still have incompetent Mike Stoops at DC.

Mike Stoops clearly does not have DirecTV. He has cable.

Cotton

Staff member
Honestly, my expectations are so low this year that in order to disappoint me, Mayfield would have to perform like Vaughan did on Sunday night. I'm expecting another 5 loss season. Primarily because we still have incompetent Mike Stoops at DC.

:lol

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I didn't keep up with the situation at the time, so you Tech guys tell me if I'm wrong. But Kingsbury almost sounds like he had that Parcells/Belichick old school mentality (probably picked up at New England) that he doesn't have to communicate every detail to players and worry about their feelings, and Mayfield is one of these kids of today who always has to have his feelings coddled.

I'm guessing Kingsbury saw Mayfield's physical limitations of being kind of small and not that gifted in any area and maybe didn't believe in his upside for the longer term, and that's why Mayfield didn't get his job back. I thought the "you can't lose your job to injury" rule went out the window a long time ago anyway. If the coach thinks a different player gives the team the best chance to win, you don't get to play just because you happened to get hurt weeks earlier.

Cotton

Staff member
I didn't keep up with the situation at the time, so you Tech guys tell me if I'm wrong. But Kingsbury almost sounds like he had that Parcells/Belichick old school mentality (probably picked up at New England) that he doesn't have to communicate every detail to players and worry about their feelings, and Mayfield is one of these kids of today who always has to have his feelings coddled.

I'm guessing Kingsbury saw Mayfield's physical limitations of being kind of small and not that gifted in any area and maybe didn't believe in his upside for the longer term, and that's why Mayfield didn't get his job back. I thought the "you can't lose your job to injury" rule went out the window a long time ago anyway. If the coach thinks a different player gives the team the best chance to win, you don't get to play just because you happened to get hurt weeks earlier.
Maybe in this situation, but overall he tries to be the players' friends. Or at least that's what it seems like to me.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Remember when Kingsbury was the reason A@M was so good and the offense was all his?

Ah good times man, good times.:lol

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member

He has a ton of Belichick to him. For all of the coach cool talk that there is, you don't actually get that much such of that type of vibe from him when he is in action. The local media is a little annoyed with him because he doesn't give much access, no straight answers and hides injuries like no other.

I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't give a bunch of info to the QB. Probably told him to show up and compete each day to keep your job. That wasn't good enough for the little fag so he ran away.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member

Mayfield is a gamer. He's a competitive little turd, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him do alright. When he was in LBK he made a ton of dipshit plays but he was a true freshman walk-on. He's a little older and hopefully wiser now.

I mean, I hope he fails...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom