Archive - Random Cowboys Related Stuff Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
You're missing the point. You're the one who brought up diminishing returns. I'm simply saying that's the case with basically all RBs.

No point in getting in a Murray vs. Randle debate.
Nope, you're missing the point. It's not about Murray vs Randle, so let me make it simpler for you. You said fresh legs are better than tired legs. The Cowboys chose tired legs last year, because the guys with fresh legs weren't as good. Would you rather give it to Murray for his 401st carry, or to me for my first ? Fresh legs aren't automatically better. Your premise is faulty.

As far as my diminishing returns comment, you' re the one that brought up the ypc. Obviously his ypc likely will go down. In context, I'm clearly saying that with more carries Randle won't be good enough. I chose not to quantify it because it's difficult to say where his wheelhouse is with so little data. 8 carries a game he might still be productive. 15 carries maybe not.

Genghis Khan

On second thought, I think I did misinterpret your comment, CRock. I thought you were talking about us using a running back by committee approach.

I guess you are saying Randle's effectiveness will naturally diminish because the more he carries, the more tired he'll be. I'm not talking about that level of use so I don't think that's really germane to my point. At 15 carries a game or so, he shouldn't be anywhere near worn out. I just don't think he's good enough to be anything more than a backup. See also, Felix Jones or troy hambrick.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Adrian!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Murrell)

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Well, that's crazy. Jerry must not have liked what he saw on the X-Rays. I'd sign Ray Rice at this point.

I still think RR being only 28 can have a bounce back year on rested legs as part of a rotation. He's a vet, good pass blocker, decent receiver out of the backfield, hasn't been shot. Screw the PR.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Consider for a moment that if Dallas shops for another RB it will likely be for the PS. The backs mentioned aren't going to want to fill that role.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Im thinking we need a Training Camp thread.....it's here y'all.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The best backs get stronger in the 4th quarter in spite of having run all game long. Last year's Murray was one of them.
I don't think any back gets stronger in the 4th quarter. The defense just gets weaker. As muscles fatigue a RB isn't going to get better.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm clearly saying that with more carries Randle won't be good enough.
I know this is what you believe. But no one really knows this until he actually gets more carries. I can stomp my feet and pretend to know that he will still do great with 15 carries. I don't really know though. He did it in college but we all know there are far more great college players that fail in the NFL then college players who succeed.

I will say this though. The Cowboys should have ran Randle more last year. I don't believe the reason we kept Murray in for all those carries was because we thought an exhausted Murray was a better runner then a fresh Randle. We left Murray in there because we trusted him to pass protect Romo. For whatever reason we didn't seem to have that trust with Randle. I'm not sure if it's just a trust issue or a real flaw in his game but it's something to keep an eye on early. My guess is the coaches can trust McFadden to pick up blitzes so if Randle sucks at it I'm not sure it will even matter who carries the ball better. A healthy Romo is way more valuable then our yards per carry.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Todd Archer @toddarcher
Cowboys release RB Ryan Williams, LB Cam Lawrence, OL Ryan Miller. Sign RB Gus Johnson, OL Ronald Patrick, LB Justin Anderson

Jiggyfly

Banned
Todd Archer @toddarcher
Ryan Williams had a second knee surgery after June minicamp. Faced uphill climb to make roster anyway.

dallen

Senior Tech
Gus Johnson is almost 50 years old

Genghis Khan

I know this is what you believe. But no one really knows this until he actually gets more carries. I can stomp my feet and pretend to know that he will still do great with 15 carries. I don't really know though. He did it in college but we all know there are far more great college players that fail in the NFL then college players who succeed.

I will say this though. The Cowboys should have ran Randle more last year. I don't believe the reason we kept Murray in for all those carries was because we thought an exhausted Murray was a better runner then a fresh Randle. We left Murray in there because we trusted him to pass protect Romo. For whatever reason we didn't seem to have that trust with Randle. I'm not sure if it's just a trust issue or a real flaw in his game but it's something to keep an eye on early. My guess is the coaches can trust McFadden to pick up blitzes so if Randle sucks at it I'm not sure it will even matter who carries the ball better. A healthy Romo is way more valuable then our yards per carry.

I agree with all of this.

p1_

DCC 4Life
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/gus-johnson?id=2552630

Overview

The 2014 Southland Conference Player of the Year, Johnson was a three-time All-Southland Conference selection as well as a two-time first-team honoree.

Pro Day Results
40-yard dash: 4.62 and 4.67 seconds

Analysis
Strengths Well-built with thick bubble and powerful legs. Shows necessary power to rip through arm tackles and churn out additional yardage after contact. Has delayed burst once he gets to second level. Bow-legged runner with wide base and adequate balance through contact. What he lacks in explosiveness he makes up for in grit. Produced at consistent level over last three seasons.
Weaknesses Hip tightness is a concern. Unable to take wide track on outside zone and then one-cut sharply without noticeable gear grind. Lacks foot quickness for sudden, lateral cuts to make defenders miss. Doesn't seek out opportunities to send a message with aggressive acceleration into tackler. Play speed to perimeter inconsistent. Marginal production as pass-catcher. Very little ability to protect the passer.

Draft Projection Undrafted

Bottom Line Compact running back with power in his lower body to break tackles and extend runs, but he's not a chain-moving power runner with a desire to punish tacklers. Tape shows borderline athletic ability as a pro with little to no value as a third-down back, which limits his draft value

Jiggyfly

Banned
Justin Tuck on playing against Larry Allen (He Scared)

Also video of 700lb bench press.

go to 2:00 mark

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

dallen

Senior Tech
Guys! Relax. Ryan Williams wasn't cut after all. He was only placed on IR

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Guys! Relax. Ryan Williams wasn't cut after all. He was only placed on IR

I don't see the point. I guess they are looking for not having to eat the full value of the contract he just signed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom