Archive - Random Cowboys Related Stuff Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I'll just leave this here.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I think that's the most likely conclusion.
I just don't see how that's most likely even though he had limited touches he showed some ability.

He has very good feet, some burst and vision, not a top tier back but not a scrub either.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Here is a blurb from Goose:
Question: Does Darren McFadden have enough talent to be a starting RB, or will he strictly be a backup?

"Do you mean does he have enough talent to contend for a rushing title? No -- but that's not what he's going to be asked to do. What McFadden gives them is a veteran they can stick at the top of the running back depth chart. The halfback position will not be handled like it was a year ago. Demarco Murray was a three-down back. Lance Dunbar was under-utilized. This season, Dunbar will get all the third downs and long-yardage passing downs. The starting halfback, whether it's McFadden or a draft pick, will be a first-and-second down option. If McFadden gives the Cowboys 800-900 yards, I think the Cowboys will do cartwheels. Especially if he's part of a three-back rotation with a rookie and Dunbar. He's just a veteran back the Cowboys believe they can trust with the ball in his hands."

~~~~~~
I don't see any mention of Williams in this. Also, it was written pre-draft for what that's worth.

Last edited:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Question: Does Darren McFadden have enough talent to be a starting RB, or will he strictly be a backup?

"Do you mean does he have enough talent to contend for a rushing title? No -- but that's not what he's going to be asked to do. What McFadden gives them is a veteran they can stick at the top of the running back depth chart. The halfback position will not be handled like it was a year ago. Demarco Murray was a three-down back. Lance Dunbar was under-utilized. This season, Dunbar will get all the third downs and long-yardage passing downs. The starting halfback, whether it's McFadden or a draft pick, will be a first-and-second down option. If McFadden gives the Cowboys 800-900 yards, I think the Cowboys will do cartwheels. Especially if he's part of a three-back rotation with a rookie and Dunbar. He's just a veteran back the Cowboys believe they can trust with the ball in his hands."

~~~~~~
I don't see any mention of Williams in this.
It also doesn't mention Randle and repeatedly mentions a draft pick that doesn't exist. It sounds old and uninformed.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Pre-draft. But no mention of Wiiliams either, I take as a no confidence vote at that point in time.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

~~~~~~
I don't see any mention of Williams in this. Also, it was written pre-draft for what that's worth.
I don't think Williams was ever in the picture. He was held over on the practice squad to see if he could recover sufficiently. It hasn't happened. It is iffy for him barring a miracle.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think Williams was ever in the picture. He was held over on the practice squad to see if he could recover sufficiently. It hasn't happened. It is iffy for him barring a miracle.
He isn't a holdover, they signed him to a 2 year contract. The second part of that which is incorrect is that he has in fact completely healed. The petella injury he is 100% back from. The minor swelling during OTA'S was totally unrelated and something that would not have held him out of a game.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Pre-draft. But no mention of Wiiliams either, I take as a no confidence vote at that point in time.
But it also makes no reference of Randle. As though he didn't expect him to make the roster. If you're that off on a prediction, you can't put any weight in the rest of it.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
He isn't a holdover, they signed him to a 2 year contract. The second part of that which is incorrect is that he has in fact completely healed. The petella injury he is 100% back from. The minor swelling during OTA'S was totally unrelated and something that would not have held him out of a game.
Then why is no one who covers the Cowboys putting him in the roster projections?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Another thing that seems to point to Williams being on the bubble is when Dallas picked up McFadden. If they were comfortable with Williams you would think they would have gone with Randal,Williams,Dunbar and picked up someone in the draft. Personally I like Williams and wanted him inserted in the lineup last year but something is amiss. He still is having knee swelling and to me that indicates the organization may have reservations about his durability. I like the guy but there are indications from several that he is on the outside looking in.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Yeah I already saw the grazing of his arm by a guy who ended up mostly crushing his fellow defender. The hole opened for Randle was monstrous, and the only back in NFL history who would have fallen to that "contact" is Troy Hambrick.

This is just further proof of how idiotic the stat "yards after contact" is when the contact could be a finger grazing or a full on hit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQARQMDLJMc

1:40:59

Now that is yards after contact.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah I already saw the grazing of his arm by a guy who ended up mostly crushing his fellow defender. The hole opened for Randle was monstrous, and the only back in NFL history who would have fallen to that "contact" is Troy Hambrick.

This is just further proof of how idiotic the stat "yards after contact" is when the contact could be a finger grazing or a full on hit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQARQMDLJMc

1:40:59

Now that is yards after contact.
Murray probably would have just fumbled...

Ok now I'm just kidding LT.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Then why is no one who covers the Cowboys putting him in the roster projections?
Because they are under the impression that McFadden and Dunbar are untouchable. It's a ludicrous assumption but I get it. Dunbar is the niche player we always seem to love but never seem to use. McFadden is the Arkansas homer pick by Jerry. The funny thing is Ryan Williams actually got a slightly bigger signing bonus then McFadden (Williams got $240,000 while McFadden only got $200,000).

townsend

Banned
My big question with Williams is how his blocking and pass catching compares to the rest of the running backs. I don't really want another Rashard/Tashard on the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom