Archive - Random Cowboys Related Stuff Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deuce

Shrimp Beasley. Amirite, @boozeman?
~being gay and moving this to "BEASLEY DUNKS!!1! OMG" thread~

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Interesting.

p1_

DCC 4Life
What does " So probably not why" mean?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
What does " So probably not why" mean?
He was responding to another tweet. You have to click the link in the tweet to see it. For whatever reason, Twitter changed how it shows tweet quotes recently.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Joseph Randle had 51 (ish) carries. In I think 28 of them, he had less than 3 yards, according to Brian baldinger. Not good. In more than half his carries last year he couldn't get 3 yards.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Joseph Randle had 51 (ish) carries. In I think 28 of them, he had less than 3 yards, according to Brian baldinger. Not good. In more than half his carries last year he couldn't get 3 yards.
What percentage of Murray's carries went for under 3 yards. It's hard to put a statistic like that in perspective because most runs don't go for significant gains. It's why most RBS average 4 yards per carry or so.

Jiggyfly

Banned
What percentage of Murray's carries went for under 3 yards. It's hard to put a statistic like that in perspective because most runs don't go for significant gains. It's why most RBS average 4 yards per carry or so.
Yeah I would like to that percentage for Murray as well, because he was getting stuffed quite frequently over the last half of the season.

That's kind of a cherry picking stat.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah I would like to that percentage for Murray as well, because he was getting stuffed quite frequently over the last half of the season.

That's kind of a cherry picking stat.
It's definitely a cherry picking stat. For example why are we picking 3 yards as the cut off point? A 3 yard carry actually isn't that bad for example. Two three yard runs set up a pretty easy third down. Hell odds are if you ran it a third time one of those runs would go for more then 3 yards and you'd have a first down.

Now runs for no yardage, those concern me. If I'm getting nothing out of a running play it's really hard to stick with the run.

Genghis Khan

I agree that I'd like to see comparisons with other backs. Outside of that context, however, instinctually it doesn't seem good. We aren't talking an average of three yards per carry...more than half his carries individually went three yards or less. Meaning as an average, we're probably talking 2 or 2.5. I can't imagine a context where that's good.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I agree that I'd like to see comparisons with other backs. Outside of that context, however, instinctually it doesn't seem good. We aren't talking an average of three yards per carry...more than half his carries individually went three yards or less. Meaning as an average, we're probably talking 2 or 2.5. I can't imagine a context where that's good.
You are reading way to much into those stats, how many of those carries were in end game situations, I remeber him getting a lot of garbage carries against the Colts and Redskins.

It's only 58 carries and his actual average is 6.7 so how are you getting this 2 or 2.5?

I don't think the 6.7 means that much the same as the 3.0 unless you can compare with other backs it is pretty meaningless.

Last edited:

Genghis Khan

You are reading way to much into those stats, how many of those carries were in end game situations, I remeber him getting a lot of garbage carries against the Colts and Redskins.

It's only 58 carries and his actual average is 6.7 so how are you getting this 2 or 2.5?

I don't think the 6.7 means that much the same as the 3.0 unless you can compare with other backs it is pretty meaningless.
Ummm math?

If you have 28 carries and every single carry went for 3 or less, including some that were 2, some that were 1, some that were 0, and some were negative, the average would HAVE to be less than 3 .

I agree that context matters but we know Randle didn't play in short yardage situations and that would be the most palatable reason to explain away an average this low. He also wasn't the guy they used to close out games. My impression from listening to baldinger is these were regular in game carries. He sat there and watched film of all his Carr, it's not like he was just looking at state. And he clearly didn't think much of Randle.

Now that doesn't account for opponent difficulty or flow of the game or things like that. But we do know Randle hasn't performed well the couple of times he's gotten double digit carries.

None of this is be all end all stuff, it's just a little foreboding.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Here's one I find interesting. In 9 of the 16 regular season games (over half), he had 2 or less carries per game. I can't help but feel it's hard to judge his performance in games like that where he doesn't get any real work.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Meaning as an average, we're probably talking 2 or 2.5. I can't imagine a context where that's good.
This is exactly the problem though. You don't really know. Which is why the statistic is pretty meaningless. For example one RB could average 1 YPC on over half his carries while another could average right at 3. But you'd have no idea.

My personal inclination is that 3 yards on a carry really isn't bad at all. Especially when every few carries you're likely to go for a big gain which Randle was prone to do.

Plus I always think it's bullshit when someone tries to only count a guys short runs. The dude averaged 6.7 ypc, let's not act like he was consistently stuffed. That's just making stuff up.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Especially when every few carries you're likely to go for a big gain which Randle was prone to do.
Specify 'every few' and 'big' gain. How often and for how much? You only have a sample size of 51.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Specify 'every few' and 'big' gain. How often and for how much? You only have a sample size of 51.
Well if half the time your are running for 3 yards or less. The other half you're going for more then 3 yards. So if you run the ball 3 times one of those runs in all likelihood is going for more then 3 yards. Since the guy averaged 6.7 YPC I'd say a big gain would be something at or above his average.

You are absolutely right though. The sample size with Randle is too small to know what he will do with more carries. Randle had some really impressive looking runs last year but will he be able to do that when his legs aren't so fresh? I have no idea. No one really does.

p1_

DCC 4Life
You are absolutely right though. The sample size with Randle is too small to know what he will do with more carries. Randle had some really impressive looking runs last year but will he be able to do that when his legs aren't so fresh? I have no idea. No one really does.
Will see pretty quickly once he gets 3 or 4 games of at least 20 carries/per under his belt. A quarter into the season will give a good glimpse of what he can do in the lead role.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
My impression was until the Washington game Randle consistently had trouble after early success.

I'm hoping that was just an impression, because we really, really need this guy to be something more in 2015.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Will see pretty quickly once he gets 3 or 4 games of at least 20 carries/per under his belt. A quarter into the season will give a good glimpse of what he can do in the lead role.
Well I hope he doesn't have more then 3 or 4 games all season next year where he goes over 20 carries in a game. I really don't want to burn the guy out. He needs to average somewhere in the 15 carries per game range. I'd mix in plenty of the number 2 RB which in my opinion should be Ryan Williams but my gut feeling is that it will be McFadden unless he really sucks out loud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom