NFL reaches deal to play games at Tottenham’s new stadium in London

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Posted by Josh Alper on July 8, 2015, 7:30 AM EDT

In April, there was word from London that English Premier League side Tottenham wanted to share their new stadium with an NFL team when and if the NFL put a team on that side of the Atlantic.

There’s no team heading there on a permanent basis, but there will be games at Tottenham’s building when it opens in 2018. The EPL team announced that they and the league have struck a 10-year agreement to play a minimum two regular season games a year at their stadium, which is under construction. The stadium is being built with the NFL in mind and will have two fields — grass for soccer, FieldTurf for football — that can be swapped out as needed.

“With growing enthusiasm for the NFL in the United Kingdom, we are committed to hosting NFL games in world-class venues and are excited to partner with Tottenham Hotspur to play games at their future stadium,” NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said in a statement from the team. “We share a vision and commitment to creating the best experience for our teams, fans and the local community.”

The deal does not mean the league will stop playing games at Wembley Stadium, which will host three games during the 2015 regular season. NFL executive vice president of international Mark Waller said, via Daniel Kaplan of Sports Business Journal, that the league has a “great relationship” with Wembley and that securing another site in London gives the league more flexibility in scheduling as well as the opportunity to play more games in London as either a visitor or permanent resident.
-------------------

I wish Goodell would deep throat a butcher knife.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I frequent a soccer board where the vast majority of the members are from Europe, especially the UK.

To my surprise, there is a big time following over there and they know way more about the sport that I ever would have guessed. Some of those guys have been fans for 15+ years and can tell you all the happenings of the team and their history like any American fan can.

While I too do not like the games being sent overseas, I have a much better understanding of why they do it. It isn't a marketing fad, it's a serious and real opportunity for the NFL to cash in on a market that is permanently interested.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Why not just give them their own European brand of NFL?

The NFL teams could use it as a farm system for players and coaches.

data

Forbes #1
I frequent a soccer board where the vast majority of the members are from Europe, especially the UK.

To my surprise, there is a big time following over there and they know way more about the sport that I ever would have guessed. Some of those guys have been fans for 15+ years and can tell you all the happenings of the team and their history like any American fan can.

While I too do not like the games being sent overseas, I have a much better understanding of why they do it. It isn't a marketing fad, it's a serious and real opportunity for the NFL to cash in on a market that is permanently interested.
easier to bandwagon any NFL team and watch them on the tele from afar. Would the British sell out 8 home games to a 2-14 team locally?

data

Forbes #1
Logistically, how would the schedule work? For the 8 London home games, you figure each US visiting team gets the bye after coming back from London, but bye weeks stop at week 10-ish.

When london don comes to America, they could go 3 away games in a row, but would still have to have more than 1 bye. Maybe even 3 bye weeks

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Why not just give them their own European brand of NFL?

The NFL teams could use it as a farm system for players and coaches.
Dummies couldn't make NFL Europe work years ago. They just didn't do it right. Most teams sent crap talent over there.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

WGAS what a bunch of soccer hooligans think.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Dummies couldn't make NFL Europe work years ago. They just didn't do it right. Most teams sent crap talent over there.
Yeah, that's what I was getting at.

They could use it as a rehab league, guys who are too old to make it in the NFL could play alongside young guys who just barely made the cut.

Fuck sending them our games though.

A team only gets 8 home games a year, it's insane that they're forfeiting one of those to promote NFL globalization.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
easier to bandwagon any NFL team and watch them on the tele from afar. Would the British sell out 8 home games to a 2-14 team locally?
Admittedly, they've all agreed that the country would not support 8 home games each and every year.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah the problem was teams weren't really using it for development. Most of the teams preferred to develop their own players locally as opposed to sending them to a different system with different coaches far away. The way NFL contracts and rosters worked at the time didn't lend itself well to using NFL Europe as a developmental league.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Posted by Josh Alper on July 8, 2015, 7:30 AM EDT

In April, there was word from London that English Premier League side Tottenham wanted to share their new stadium with an NFL team when and if the NFL put a team on that side of the Atlantic.

There’s no team heading there on a permanent basis, but there will be games at Tottenham’s building when it opens in 2018. The EPL team announced that they and the league have struck a 10-year agreement to play a minimum two regular season games a year at their stadium, which is under construction. The stadium is being built with the NFL in mind and will have two fields — grass for soccer, FieldTurf for football — that can be swapped out as needed.

“With growing enthusiasm for the NFL in the United Kingdom, we are committed to hosting NFL games in world-class venues and are excited to partner with Tottenham Hotspur to play games at their future stadium,” NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said in a statement from the team. “We share a vision and commitment to creating the best experience for our teams, fans and the local community.”

The deal does not mean the league will stop playing games at Wembley Stadium, which will host three games during the 2015 regular season. NFL executive vice president of international Mark Waller said, via Daniel Kaplan of Sports Business Journal, that the league has a “great relationship” with Wembley and that securing another site in London gives the league more flexibility in scheduling as well as the opportunity to play more games in London as either a visitor or permanent resident.
-------------------

I wish Goodell would deep throat a butcher knife.
By the way if they are really hell bent on putting a team in another country, put a team in Mexico. The logistics are way better.

townsend

Banned
By the way if they are really hell bent on putting a team in another country, put a team in Mexico. The logistics are way better.
Nothing wrong with sending a couple teams worth hundreds of millions of dollars into a country where kidnapping is it's own industry.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I'd bet the Cowboys would block any attempt to put a team in Mexico.

Top Bottom