Machota: Stephen Jones- Dez could be limited to start camp; Mo has chance at big year

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Stephen Jones: Dez Bryant could be limited to start camp; Morris Claiborne has chance at ‘big year’

Jon Machota
Published: July 21, 2015 11:53 pm

Jones met with reporters for nearly 15 minutes to chat about the new restaurant and the current state of the football team only a week away from training camp.

To catch you up on the football talk, here are 10 highlights from Jones’ Q&A session.

1.) As expected, Dez Bryant was a popular topic. Jones said the recently signed All-Pro wide receiver could be limited to start training camp after he missed almost all of offseason workouts.

“We have to get our hands around Dez, he hasn’t been in a competitive training offseason and you want to make sure you don’t throw him to the wolves,” Jones said. “He works hard but there’s nothing like working with your teammates in a competitive environment. It’s an art to get through the preseason without significant injuries. Those things happen but we’re going to do everything we can to manage and be better at it.”

2.) How important was it to get Bryant a long-term contract before training camp? Jones called it a “big deal.” He also said it was a deal that got done roughly 30 minutes before the franchise-tag deadline.

“He’s such a big part of our team not only from his skill level but he’ also an emotional leader as well,” Jones said. “People look up to him, he brings a lot of energy to the practice field and when you’re in the dog days of training camp he brings things up another level. It’ll be great having him from day one at training camp.”

3.) And Bryant’s presence at camp has a trickle-down effect on the rest of the team, especially the defensive backs. First-round pick Byron Jones will get a chance to defend one of the league’s best offensive players when they get to California.

“When you’re playing against the best of the best it can only make you better,” Jones said. “I’m sure Byron is looking forward to it. I know he had some spirited compete plays with Jason Witten who is one of the best in the business. Now he’s going to get to see Dez live and up front. I’m sure he looks forward to it and it’ll be good for him.”

4.) Speaking of defensive backs, when Jones was asked about Morris Claiborne, Jones said he thinks the former first-round pick could be ready for the start of training camp. Claiborne had surgery in September to repair a ruptured patellar tendon in his left knee. He was limited throughout offseason workouts.

“He’s had a really good offseason and I think he feels better than he’s ever felt,” Jones said. “He really has a chance to have a big year for us.”

5.) The expectations for the upcoming season are much higher than they were at this time a year ago. That usually happens after a surprising 12-4 season, which included a playoff win. Jones called it “very exciting,” before adding that he believes this is “one of the better (teams) we’ve had in quite some time.”

“I’ve always thought that chemistry is a hard thing to find, the winning chemistry,” Jones said. “I think last year we found something special. We’ve got to keep that. I think we have the right leadership group that will bring that to the table. I think good things are going to happen for this group of men.”

6.) Jones said veteran linebacker Rolando McClain and rookie offensive tackle Chaz Green could find themselves on the physically unable to perform list when camp opens next week. McClain, who had offseason knee surgery, didn’t do much during offseason workouts. Green had hip surgery last month.

7.) McClain is suspended for the first four games of the season after violating the NFL’s substance abuse policy, but that doesn’t mean Sean Lee will be making the move back to middle linebacker. Lee will remain on the weakside and Jasper Brinkley will likely take over the starting spot in the middle until McClain is able to return.

“Our goal as an organization is to keep Sean on the weakside,” Jones said. “We have some guys playing the Mike linebacker doing a real nice job for us in there and keeps Sean consistent there at the weakside linebacker.”

8.) The Dez Bryant overturned catch in Green Bay is still a popular topic six months later. Jones has discussed the play with NFL vice president of officiating Dean Blandino and now believes the officials got the call right.

“As it turns out, according to the rule, I think the call was correct,” Jones said. “Now, going forward is there a better way for some of these players like Dez Bryant, Calvin Johnson – is there a way to tweak a rule, you can say they should be catches under NFL rules. That’s for the competition committee and for us to continue to look for ways to get better. But I applaud everything that Dean has done.”

9.) Greg Hardy has yet to announce if he plans on fighting his reduced four-game suspension. That’s a decision that will be handled by Hardy, the NFLPA, his lawyers and his agent. The Cowboys will have no input.

“We don’t play a role in that,” Jones said. “At the end of the day that’s between the players union and Greg Hardy and his agent. We certainly know this was out there. Our eyes were wide open when we got involved with Greg. He’s done a great job in the offseason. Where he ends up with the league and the NFLPA we are going to accept it.”

10.) The Cowboys have had a very productive offseason. I ranked some of their best moves here. Jones, however, was guarded when it came to discussing offseason grades.

“I’m not a big fan of grading the offseason,” he said. “Everyone thinks they did well because they drafted someone where they had them on their board. It’s all about the product on the field. We feel like we got a lot accomplished but it remains to be seen.”

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
You still can't convince me the officials got that call correct. That was a catch.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You still can't convince me the officials got that call correct. That was a catch.
I understand him towing the NFL company line. No reason to poke the officials in public, they'll just find a way to screw us harder.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Agreed. But I can see why they took this approach. Continuing to say it was a catch wouldn't change anything, but it could piss off the guys who might decide to call every little ticky-tack thing against us.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
It comes down to whether the official interprets Dez' reach as a football move which stops the process of going to the ground.

What I don't understand is how they can overturn the sideline official based on something subjective.

Top Bottom