Cowboys sign Dez Bryant to 5 year deal

peplaw06

Brand New Member
He is only hurting himself because he can't afford the losses but the organization can. They will still get revenues from various sources and he will get zilch.
He can't afford what losses? $750k per game? I suspect the extension he will get eventually will outweigh those losses. He can afford to risk that. He's not at risk for losing out on a long extension, except by injury. Someone will pay him when hits true free agency, provided he's healthy.

And how do you know what he can and can't afford?

data

Forbes #1
The problem with all of this is though, that even if he sits out games and the Cowboys go 0-2, he still can't get a long term deal. He can only come back and play under the tender for all of 2015 if they don't reach a deal by tomorrow. He can't leverage a long-term deal after tomorrow, but he still has leverage.
Thanks for confirming that. Boy, the NFL really screwed the players.

If I'm Dez, I sit out the whole season.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
He also risks hurting himself by playing, which would result in a reduced long term deal somewhere.

In fact, I'd argue that the injury risk is a much more real risk than the idea that some team won't pay him more than any other WR just because he held out.
Well let me just finish with this then. Bryant stands to take more of a loss by sitting out than what the organization will suffer. It's the old adage of cutting off your nose to spite your face. It's an ego move as much as anything because it seems obvious the organization will not meet his demands of a Megatron contrat this year or they would have already come to terms. If that is the case then Bryant would be way ahead financially to go ahead and suck it up this season to take advantage of the franchise tag money. Why leave it on the table?

Jiggyfly

Banned
Well let me just finish with this then. Bryant stands to take more of a loss by sitting out than what the organization will suffer. It's the old adage of cutting off your nose to spite your face. It's an ego move as much as anything because it seems obvious the organization will not meet his demands of a Megatron contrat this year or they would have already come to terms. If that is the case then Bryant would be way ahead financially to go ahead and suck it up this season to take advantage of the franchise tag money. Why leave it on the table?
Because he is not leaving it on the table, he will play at some point and possibly gurantee himself a chance to be a true free agent next year.

You just refuse to see what leverage he has.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Because he is not leaving it on the table, he will play at some point and possibly gurantee himself a chance to be a true free agent next year.

You just refuse to see what leverage he has.
I haven't denied he has leverage. He just doesn't have as much now as he will later.

data

Forbes #1
sigh.

Bryant has a plausible shot at making more money by sitting out. Not a sure-thing and Bryant does risk 'one in the hand' (if you're talking about adages), but it's not cutting off your nose.

It's like your 401k/stock market. You're up from your initial investment, but the stock market is down. Do you pull out now or do you have faith that the economy will rebound in due time.

Dez isn't living hand-to-mouth, so what's the risk of him postponing $12M if it might yield $50M?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I am just glad that by this time tomorrow, we will know what the lay of the land is.

I would be mildly shocked if nothing happens and Goof Son doesn't blink.

I get why they want to play the hardline, but this is a player that if he isn't around creates a huge ripple effect.

And again, eff Dez though.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
sigh.

Bryant has a plausible shot at making more money by sitting out. Not a sure-thing and Bryant does risk 'one in the hand' (if you're talking about adages), but it's not cutting off your nose.

It's like your 401k/stock market. You're up from your initial investment, but the stock market is down. Do you pull out now or do you have faith that the economy will rebound in due time.

Dez isn't living hand-to-mouth, so what's the risk of him postponing $12M if it might yield $50M?
He will likely get that deal next year anyway or something close to it. I am just advocating that he would be smarter to take all the franchise money as well rather than sitting out and forfeiting some of it.

peplaw06

Brand New Member
I don't think he's going to sit out games. That's 2 months away. I think we're only hearing about it now because tomorrow is the deadline for a long-term deal. I suspect that if they don't get a deal, then he will play under the tag and try to finagle a deal where the Cowboys agree to not tag him next offseason in exchange for him signing the tender.

Today he has the leverage of threatening sitting out... he's trying to use it to get a long-term deal. After tomorrow, he loses that option, but not the leverage. He can still refuse to sign the tender until the Cowboys agree not to tag him next season. I suspect that he will continue to threaten to sit out unless he gets that agreement... Eventually, if that deal is not conceded by the Cowboys, then he loses some more leverage when the season begins. He starts losing money then, and if he misses more than a certain number of games, then he doesn't get credit for the year, and can be tagged twice more.

Nothing Dez has done yet is cutting his nose off to spite his face. It's all about exerting whatever pressure you can in negotiations to get what you want. He wants a long term deal now... If they don't get a deal, then Thursday he will readjust and start angling towards no tag in 2016... if he can't get that deal, maybe he readjusts.

If he ever gets what he ultimately wants, then he's not cutting his nose off to spite his face. If he just sits out games and doesn't get anything out of it, then yes. But it's too early to say that's what he's doing now.

peplaw06

Brand New Member
I haven't denied he has leverage. He just doesn't have as much now as he will later.
No, he loses leverage the longer this goes. He has one less option available (long term deal) if he doesn't get a deal tomorrow. Then he loses more and more leverage if and when he starts missing games.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I don't think he's going to sit out games. That's 2 months away. I think we're only hearing about it now because tomorrow is the deadline for a long-term deal. I suspect that if they don't get a deal, then he will play under the tag and try to finagle a deal where the Cowboys agree to not tag him next offseason in exchange for him signing the tender.

Today he has the leverage of threatening sitting out... he's trying to use it to get a long-term deal. After tomorrow, he loses that option, but not the leverage. He can still refuse to sign the tender until the Cowboys agree not to tag him next season. I suspect that he will continue to threaten to sit out unless he gets that agreement... Eventually, if that deal is not conceded by the Cowboys, then he loses some more leverage when the season begins. He starts losing money then, and if he misses more than a certain number of games, then he doesn't get credit for the year, and can be tagged twice more.

Nothing Dez has done yet is cutting his nose off to spite his face. It's all about exerting whatever pressure you can in negotiations to get what you want. He wants a long term deal now... If they don't get a deal, then Thursday he will readjust and start angling towards no tag in 2016... if he can't get that deal, maybe he readjusts.

If he ever gets what he ultimately wants, then he's not cutting his nose off to spite his face. If he just sits out games and doesn't get anything out of it, then yes. But it's too early to say that's what he's doing now.
TLDR :art

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Dan Snyder drools at giving Dez $50M+
Wouldn't surprise me.

I think there is a lot of side action that is about right now affecting these negotiations.

Jones paid off Bryant's idiocy early in his career, and there are some backs not being scratched back.

It is a little more of a personal negotiation than most.

data

Forbes #1
...and if he misses more than a certain number of games, then he doesn't get credit for the year, and can be tagged twice more.
No shit! Haha. The NFLPA really fucked up.

So the question really is if Jerruh is cool with not making the playoffs this year.

data

Forbes #1
Wouldn't surprise me.

I think there is a lot of side action that is about right now affecting these negotiations.

Jones paid off Bryant's idiocy early in his career, and there are some backs not being scratched back.

It is a little more of a personal negotiation than most.
It all started when Dez wouldn't carry Roy Williams' pads.

Get the delorean.

data

Forbes #1
Crazy thought - Cowboys and Dez already have deal in place. Just not submitting it until last minute to hopefully hinder the Broncos

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Really? Even though his agent is speaking on his behalf?
Correct. The original issue was that he himself voiced issues on social media not previously known. And he didn't do that. At all.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Yeah...if he got hurt he'd have to get by on 12 mil.
Yeah, cause he should totally be happy with 12 mill versus 90.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It all started when Dez wouldn't carry Roy Williams' pads.

Get the delorean.
You can't tell me that Jerry's patience with this is not playing a role.

Right or wrong, Jones in a way enabled Bryant. He paid his debts. He covered for him a lot.

And now Bryant is taking it a step up.

It will be interesting.

data

Forbes #1
You can't tell me that Jerry's patience with this is not playing a role.

Right or wrong, Jones in a way enabled Bryant. He paid his debts. He covered for him a lot.

And now Bryant is taking it a step up.

It will be interesting.
letting demarco Murray affected this, too. If murray got paid, then dez would be more willing to toe the company line.

With your franchise's single season rushing leader gone, it's 'fuck this shit, it's business'

Top Bottom