Cowboys sign Dez Bryant to 5 year deal

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some are saying that these deals usually make the franchise tender number the base salary for year 1. If that's the case, and you have to add the prorated portion of the signing bonus... His cap number may have gone up.
That seems odd. Most times a player signs a big contract the first year cap hit is pretty small. The reason being you usually set the first year base salary pretty low because they are receiving all that bonus money in the first year. The guy just banked 20 mil up front. Is there a need to now cash another 13 mil over the course of the season?

Again I don't really care because we won't be spending that free cap space this season anyway.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If we don't spend it, the amount we don't spend gets added to our cap figure for next year. Which should be pretty nice.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Randy Gregory ✔@RandyGregory_4
Everybody happy now? Time to get this thing going�� #roadtosix

peplaw06

Brand New Member
That seems odd. Most times a player signs a big contract the first year cap hit is pretty small. The reason being you usually set the first year base salary pretty low because they are receiving all that bonus money in the first year. The guy just banked 20 mil up front. Is there a need to now cash another 13 mil over the course of the season?

Again I don't really care because we won't be spending that free cap space this season anyway.
Yeah, read the twitters wrong... you're correct. I knew it sounded strange when I read it, but thought maybe the new tag rules had something to do with it.

Cotton

Staff member
Randy Gregory ✔@RandyGregory_4
Everybody happy now? Time to get this thing going�� #roadtosix
I absolutely love this guy's attitude. :towel

D

Deuce

I absolutely love this guy's attitude. :towel
I'm convinced he's the lone reason people bitch about the team "not taking the RB position seriously" and why Tevin Coleman isn't our starter frontrunner right now.

But I couldn't give a shit. I love this guy.

Cotton

Staff member

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
I'm just thrilled it is done. Dez will be one of the 2 most focused players in camp and drive everyone else to be better. With him on the offensive side and the Kraken on the other pushing people this season ought to be as fun as any in the past 20 years.

Cotton

Staff member

:towel

Cotton

Staff member

:lol

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I'm convinced he's the lone reason people bitch about the team "not taking the RB position seriously" and why Tevin Coleman isn't our starter frontrunner right now.

But I couldn't give a shit. I love this guy.
Phenom top-10 talent pass rushing DE >>>>>> Solid 2nd-3rd Round RB.

All day every day.

And it's not like pass rusher wasn't pretty much the same level of need.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Great deal.

All along I've been guessing 6/90 with 40 guaranteed, this is less years, 1 million less per year and a couple extra million guaranteed, so I can't complain at all. He's a top 5 WR right now and will continue to be as long as Romo is here and playing well. Considering that Romo has anywhere from 2-4 years left this had to be done, we couldn't risk losing him, either literally to another team or figuratively with him giving up on the organization emotionally.

All in all, the deal is very fair for both sides.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Phenom top-10 talent pass rushing DE >>>>>> Solid 2nd-3rd Round RB.

All day every day.

And it's not like pass rusher wasn't pretty much the same level of need.
Yea, and this line of reasoning is why I 100% supported letting Murray walk in favor of giving that money to Hardy.

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

I like this structure. Means we can re-evaluate after 3 years, and (god forbid) if he falls apart, cut him after 3 years with no penalty.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

I like this structure. Means we can re-evaluate after 3 years, and (god forbid) if he falls apart, cut him after 3 years with no penalty.
I'm guessing it's more to create cap space in the future by converting it to signing bonus.

Top Bottom