Cowboys sign Dez Bryant to 5 year deal

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
The Cowboys are a team first. The Lions have shown that paying QB money to a WR is not the way you keep a team.

D

Deuce

And then he'll act like a fucking child all year.

Can't wait for that.
And then hopefully someone smart will tell him to look in the mirror and realize he's half the problem in this situation. Bitching on social media while trying to play the PR game is pathetic.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Maybe players that are unhappy with the franchise system should be upset with the NFLPA for agreeing to it in the CBA.

data

Forbes #1
Yeah, that should probably not be underestimated. The TO circus could be back in town. Lovely.
I don't think he'll be a distraction. If he is, this will hurt his paycheck next season.

He'll just be quieter and less Michael Irvin rah-rah.

data

Forbes #1
He'll sit out the Giants game, realize he just lost 700K and play out the season.
if it comes to sitting out games, I'd think dez sits out at least 2. If the Cowboys don't struggle without dez the first two games, he will be back game 3. If the Cowboys get to 1-3, dez may continue to sit until game 8.

Having the the cowboys go sub-.500 would increase dez's worth in 2016.

Jerruh can't be too patient with Romo's age.

Last edited:

BipolarFuk

Demoted
I think you might have to consider overpaying or risk missing out on one of probably two prime Romo years left.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
if Dez sets out eight games, and it ruins our season, I don't want anything to do with him going forward.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I get the feeling that Stephen has slow-played the negotiations all along by letting a shit offer with only 20 million guaranteed sit out there for months, with the intention of making Dez wait so that he could make the real offer once time was almost out. I cannot believe that there is any reality where Stephen feels Dez is only worth about 10-11 a year and 20 guaranteed, and with this new news that we are upping our offer to 13+ a year, it seems that this has been Stephen’s plan all along.

I’m guessing we go up as high as 15 a year with around 35 guaranteed and if Dez doesn’t want it, we let him play under the tag.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
if Dez sets out eight games, and it ruins our season, I don't want anything to do with him going forward.
I'm with you. Everyone knows I'm a huge Dez mark, but I'm a much bigger Cowboys mark. If he sits out even one game I will be pissed. If he ruins our season I will want him gone.

Cotton

Staff member
I'm on my phone and can't post the article but it's been reported the latest offer from the team was north of 13 mill per, and that Dez is more optimistic than ever. Let's get this shit done, and be past this foolishness.

Cotton

Staff member
Damn, Justin Houston just signed for 6 years 101 mill with 52 mill guaranteed.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Damn, Justin Houston just signed for 6 years 101 mill with 52 mill guaranteed.
That's a truly ridiculous amount of per year money considering the deal Watt got, I think that's the highest non-QB per year amount outside of Calvin.

D

Deuce

I wouldn't let it get that far. If he sits out 5 games, I'm trading his rights to someone who wants to pay him big that week before the deadline.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dez Bryant, Cowboys in late push for long-term deal

By Marc Sessler
Around the NFL Writer
Published: July 15, 2015 at 11:41 a.m. Updated: July 15, 2015 at 11:57 a.m.

With Dez Bryant and the Dallas Cowboys working through the night to hammer out a long-term deal, Wednesday morning brings new hope that a contract can be worked out ahead of today's 4 p.m. ET deadline.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport and NFL Media's Rand Getlin were told by sources involved in the negotiation that since Tuesday night, the Cowboys have increased their offer to Bryant beyond the $13 million per year threshold, an improvement over the $12.82 million he would make this season by signing his franchise tag.

The Pro Bowl wideout has expressed more optimism than ever before that a deal will get done, Rapoport was told. Nothing has been finalized, but the sides have been in constant contact and making a strong push as the clock ticks down.

Rapoport noted Tuesday evening that there was "a lot of ground to make up" as Bryant still sought a pact in the neighborhood Calvin Johnson's annual $16 million price tag. Crossing that threshold remains a long shot, but it appears the sides are approaching a figure that everyone can agree on.

Bryant has gone public with his desire to skip training camp and regular-season games without a long-term deal, but Rapoport was told by a team source on Tuesday that the Cowboys "simply do not buy" the pass-catcher's threats. They have believed all along that Bryant cannot stay away from football.

We're in the final hours of a summer-long waiting game. We'll know soon enough if the most talented playmaker in Big D will make his money.

The latest Around The NFL Podcast discusses Greg Hardy's reduced suspension, and the guys debate which players are at 'The Crossroads.'

Stars

DCC 4Life
What's the lowest amount of guaranteed money you guys think it will take to sign Dez? 45 million?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
What's the lowest amount of guaranteed money you guys think it will take to sign Dez? 45 million?
I think he would sign in the 40-45 range. I am curious as to what Dallas is offering in terms of signing bonus now. The only numbed I had ever heard was way down in the 20 mil range. I have to imagine it has come up since then. Especially since they are at least getting closer to the ballpark in terms of 13 mil per year.

Cotton

Staff member
I think he would go for 40 mill, but who really knows?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd never pay that for a LB.
Contracts get bigger every year. That's just how things work. Then next elite defensive player to sign will probably get that plus a little more.

It's why it's so hard to convince arguably the best WR in football that he shouldn't get paid anything close to Calvin Johnson. Makes me wonder if this contract will hurt the Cowboys. Houston plays a different position then Dez but their situations aren't all that different. They both had similar franchise tag numbers. They are both the best at their respective positions. Just looks as though that is the going rate for a franchise player.

Top Bottom