NFL versus NBA - Which one is tougher and stuff

peplaw06

Brand New Member
Re: the "other topic" I mentioned earlier in this thread....

D

Deuce

Those Bucks players also have to go all out for 82 games a year, not 16.

peplaw06

Brand New Member
They also don't have 52 other teammates that must be paid. It's just a dumb comparison.
The NBA has revenues of roughly $5 bil a year... NFL is upwards of $12 bil.

The tweet said the logic is reductive. It's not a perfect comparison, but it's not a dumb one either.

D

Deuce

Please... those 82 basketball games are nowhere near as taxing as 16 football games.
Says you. Baseball is the least taxing sport on the body when looking at single games, but over the span of 162 it puts major wear and tear on different parts. Basketball is the same.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Says you. Baseball is the least taxing sport on the body when looking at single games, but over the span of 162 it puts major wear and tear on different parts. Basketball is the same.
Yep.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

The tweet said the logic is reductive. It's not a perfect comparison, but it's not a dumb one either.
No but I'd be much more interested in the amount of money spent on players period per dollar of revenue. It kind of evens the playing field more.

I think the ultimate conclusion is probably right. That NFL owners make more money then NBA owners. It's why NFL franchises are worth more money.

peplaw06

Brand New Member
Says me... And anyone else who looks at it honestly. It's not uncommon to see NFL players die within a decade of ending their career. No one in the NBA is retiring at the age of 25 when they are still healthy... It's really not even close. I'm not saying other sports don't take a toll on your body, but the other sports are nothing like football.

peplaw06

Brand New Member
No but I'd be much more interested in the amount of money spent on players period per dollar of revenue. It kind of evens the playing field more.
Good luck finding that info... The leagues are notorious for not releasing full books.

I think the ultimate conclusion is probably right. That NFL owners make more money then NBA owners. It's why NFL franchises are worth more money.
It's all about the CBA... the cap figures are negotiated, and the NFL has kept cap figures relatively low compared to their NBA counterparts. The MLB union is clearly the strongest, avoiding a salary cap.

The NFL's salary cap is a hard cap and it's $143 mil and change for 2015. For a 53 man roster, that's just under $3 mil per player available. The NBA is set to increase upwards of $80 million by 2016-2017. For 12 players, that's just over $6 mil avialble per player. And that doesn't consider that it's a soft salary cap that can be exceeded and a luxury tax be paid. For a league with more than twice the revenues to hold average salaries down like they do seems pretty "unAmerican" to me.

D

Deuce

Says me... And anyone else who looks at it honestly. It's not uncommon to see NFL players die within a decade of ending their career. No one in the NBA is retiring at the age of 25 when they are still healthy... It's really not even close. I'm not saying other sports don't take a toll on your body, but the other sports are nothing like football.
So there's been what? 1 NFL player walk away at the age of 25 voluntarily in the history of the game? So what. I highly doubt that ever comes close to being the norm.

Jiggyfly

Banned
What do you mean by uncommon?

I think you are a bit overboard here and yes I do think NFL players wash out quicker but they are more easily replaceable.

It's all about supply and demand but I do think the minimum should be raised, that's the real crime IMO.

peplaw06

Brand New Member
So there's been what? 1 NFL player walk away at the age of 25 voluntarily in the history of the game? So what. I highly doubt that ever comes close to being the norm.
The 49ers have lost 2 this year... Borland and Davis. Willis retired at 30, but he had been injury riddled.

No one said it was the norm or that it will be the norm. But it's clear NFL players are more likely to reconsider playing long careers given the new concussion information coming out. If the question is which sport takes more of a toll on your body, there's really no debate.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

yeah, nba teams have a fraction of the amount of players to pay.

D

Deuce

The 49ers have lost 2 this year... Borland and Davis. Willis retired at 30, but he had been injury riddled.

No one said it was the norm or that it will be the norm. But it's clear NFL players are more likely to reconsider playing long careers given the new concussion information coming out. If the question is which sport takes more of a toll on your body, there's really no debate.
Davis isn't gone for good, just "for now." My guess is his departure has more to do with the shitty status of their franchise and his overall lack of desire to play than preserving his body.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

So like twice as much income but ten times as many players to pay.

peplaw06

Brand New Member
What do you mean by uncommon?

I think you are a bit overboard here and yes I do think NFL players wash out quicker but they are more easily replaceable.

It's all about supply and demand but I do think the minimum should be raised, that's the real crime IMO.
It's not unheard of for it to happen.

And I don't see how NFL players are more easily replaceable. If you're talking about replacing NFL players with inferior talent, then the NBA has that same ability to replace their players. The thing is they don't have to, because NBA players generally play longer.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

And I don't see how NFL players are more easily replaceable. If you're talking about replacing NFL players with inferior talent, then the NBA has that same ability to replace their players. The thing is they don't have to, because NBA players generally play longer.
With the exception of QB, good NFL players are much easier to replace than good NBA players.

Jiggyfly

Banned

Not uncommon and unheard of are two different things, it's rare to hear of a NFL player dying that soon after playing and it's not always football related.

It's much easier to find a 2nd string guard in the NFL than it is in the NBA and that's why 1st round picks mean much more in Football than Basketball and there are only 2 rounds.

Top Bottom