Archive - Random Cowboys Related Stuff Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Complete nonsense from Brown. Not a one of these three fear for their career mortality.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Dallas Cowboys are working out former TCU WR David Porter tomorrow

We are learning that former Texas Christian wide receiver David Porter will work out for the Dallas Cowboys tomorrow.

Appeared in all 13 games with starts in the final six contests and placed third on the Horned Frogs with a career-best 39 receptions. Porter ranked fourth on TCU with 392 receiving yards and three touchdown grabs.

http://nfldraftdiamonds.com/dallas-cowboys-are-working-out-former-tcu-wr-david-porter-tomorrow/

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Smitty

DCC 4Life
And media guys tend to get smarter or dumber depending on how much their takes agree with the observer.

I like Sturm. I like him a lot. He at least tries to get deep into things.

But like others, you cannot regard what he says as the end all be all. I trust my own eyes.

I didn't see a big issue with Leary that made me think he needs to sit in favor of Collins at this point. Collins impressed me a lot and I think he has a future, but Leary is doing what we have been told he would do, he's fighting for his job and looks okay.
I'm not calling for Leary to be benched, he's a solid lineman. But he's up and down. And I trust my own eyes and last night I saw him look off.

Again don't know why that's so horrible for people to admit. I think some have an emotional investment in the player and want him to be a stud. Unfortunately he's gonna be gone soon, because he isn't on par with the big 3 and, therefore, because he does have one of two young players who are going to make him expendable when his contract is up after this year most likely.

p1_

DCC 4Life
So the biggest board controversy is Ron Leary vs La'el Collins? Wow...

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
My point in citing Sturm is that even if he's wrong on this, he's not an idiot and he knows what he's watching.

He and I happened to see Leary's performance the same way.
Well I can remember him whiffing on at least one block. Thought he played more than that.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Well I can remember him whiffing on at least one block. Thought he played more than that.
Leary had been better in practices from what I heard. He wasn't last night though.

And no, I don't think it has to do with level of competition. Leary plays best against high competition like Watt.

He's also somewhat inconsistent which he was last night.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
In fact, if you go back and look at the first series for Leary against the very talented #94 Corey Liuget (who was just paid handsomely by the Chargers to continue to dominate on the inside), you will see Leary struggle to stand his ground like he did against the Lions and the Packers last postseason. Leary just doesn’t have the anchor that is elite. Big #71 has it. And if Collins isn’t the starter against the Giants, it is nothing more than the Cowboys just wanting to bring him along slowly.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
In fact, if you go back and look at the first series for Leary against the very talented #94 Corey Liuget (who was just paid handsomely by the Chargers to continue to dominate on the inside), you will see Leary struggle to stand his ground like he did against the Lions and the Packers last postseason. Leary just doesn’t have the anchor that is elite. Big #71 has it. And if Collins isn’t the starter against the Giants, it is nothing more than the Cowboys just wanting to bring him along slowly.
Hmm, didn't see anywhere that he whiffed. Not sure why Sturm is gospel but all offensive lineman give up ground in pass protection. The question of giving up "too" much ground is very subjective. I have said there was at least one pass play where I thought Leary gave up too much ground.

You have to admit it's a little funny that you were making judgments about Leary and Collins but you didn't even know how long Leary was in the game before giving way to Collins. Kind of shows that maybe you weren't actually paying attention to their play.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I wasn't figuring on having to justify what happened to someone who is sharp enough to know that Gus Johnson has better vision than Phillip Tanner already.

All linemen give up ground maybe, that doesn't mean they all struggle.

No one said Sturm is gospel... Just that he's more reliable than any other source on this topic so far... Meaning, you.

You might have missed where I posted my original comments. They sound a lot like someone else's.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
For one thing, the fact that he doesn't spew bullshit about Gus Johnson's vision after ten carries.
:lol

So you think Phillip Tanner had better vision? Do you remember Phillip Tanner or did you not really watch him either?

I also watched Gus Johnson during the practices that were televised. So it was actually more then 10 carries. By the way your boy Sturm is basically doing the same thing by saying that Collins is already better then Leary. But that's acceptable until Sturm disagree's with one of your opinions of course.

Last edited:

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I don't know whether Phillip Tanner had better vision than Gus Johnson and neither do you.

Which brings us back to why Sturm, while not "proof," of anything, is certainly an opinion worth noting as not crazy. Whereas your opinion basically means as much as mine does.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Which brings us back to why Sturm, while not "proof," of anything, is certainly an opinion worth noting as not crazy. Whereas your opinion basically means as much as mine does.
I'm the one who posted the Sturm article. My opinion means much more then yours since you didn't even watch Leary during the game. I at least knew how long he played for. I wonder how much you watched Collins and thought that was Leary.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I'm the one who posted the Sturm article.
And?

That means you know more than him since you posted it?

My point is he makes it his job to analyze this stuff more than the normal beat writers. He has at least a little bit more experience.

Doesnt mean he's right, but it does mean he's not making shit up.

My opinion means much more then yours since you didn't even watch Leary during the game. I at least knew how long he played for. I wonder how much you watched Collins and thought that was Leary.
:zzz

I think you were the one not watching. Otherwise you'd agree with me that he got pushed around a little.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
And?

That means you know more than him since you posted it?

My point is he makes it his job to analyze this stuff more than the normal beat writers. He has at least a little bit more experience.

Doesnt mean he's right, but it does mean he's not making shit up.
No but you bring up Sturm like it makes you correct. If I really thought Sturm was some sort of a deciding force on the matter do you really think I would have posted his article? Sturm also tries to make it sound like Collins played out of this world. Kind of reeks of a media guy trying to get clicks...

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I cited Sturm once I was accused of making stuff up.

I just made an offhand comment about Leary's play and what I observed, I was not taking notes on what plays he struggled on explicitly. So of course I'm gonna cite someone else who is respected who had a similar take.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I cited Sturm once I was accused of making stuff up.

I just made an offhand comment about Leary's play and what I observed, I was not taking notes on what plays he struggled on explicitly. So of course I'm gonna cite someone else who is respected who had a similar take.
Citing someone doesn't mean you weren't making shit up. Admittedly you didn't even know when Leary came out and Collins went in. Unless you're claiming your entire belief was based on what Sturm wrote? If that's the case then I take it back.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Citing someone doesn't mean you weren't making shit up. Admittedly you didn't even know when Leary came out and Collins went in. Unless you're claiming your entire belief was based on what Sturm wrote? If that's the case then I take it back.
It means someone else saw what I saw. Makes it unlikely we were both making it up.

You are an attorney, this really shouldn't be that hard for you to grasp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom